RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hair Mini-Challenge

Old 09-16-2009, 01:59 PM

Re: Hair Mini-Challenge

Well I guess it still depend on how specific you want to get. I don't think you're going to find any method that's so automated to not need some tweaking to get really good results. The Select>Color Range method can go really quick if you use a brush set to color mode with a single color.

Can I ask why you're offering to do this on over 100 images? I would just let the bride know that you have a method that's as quick as you can and let her know that if she really wants all 100+ images done it will cost for the time. You're not responsible for a bridesmaid in the wedding party. Or perhaps you can offer to process more insignificant images with a quick method and then do a more detailed method on shots that might be blown up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-19-2009, 01:36 PM

Sorry for the delay on getting this up, but here is my solution for the problem.

http://www.blip.tv/file/2622228

Madclark,

The answer to your question is simple...you're asking it the wrong direction. It implies that I'm doing something for free, if it were a matter of doing it for free, I couldn't be doing it. But the better question is, "They paid for 6 hours of retouching, they have an hour left, and they requested that this be done. Can I do this in an hour?" and since they paid for it, and it's clearly possible to accomplish in that much time, the answer had to be yes.

Now I must admit, that any pictures that are purchased will warrent another look and possible reworking. But for the proof set, the work is so little, and a thrilled bride so much more likely to refer others to me, I felt it was worthwhile to see if this was doable.

Cheers,
Michael

PS I had some issues with the audio, but I didn't feel like delaying this by going back and recording it a second time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Excellent work Mike, I was going over all of the possibilities in my head, an never came to such a simple and -now thinking about it - obvious solution! Thank you for posting the vid
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 12:28 PM

Michael, could You spend few minutes to explain the mathematic that stand beside the channel mikser, and how all the magic have beed made (ok, i can replace the steps You did, but still doesnt understand why?). Or maybe You know good tutorial to read more about channel mixer and get into deep of it?

Would be very greatful.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 11:36 PM

Cyberek,

The mathematics behind the channel mixer are very simple, each slider value (capital letter) is multiplied by the initial value of the corresponding channel (lower case letter) and added together and adjusted by the constant (N) multiplied by the maximum possible value of the channel to produce an output value (o).

o = r(R) + g(G) + b(B) + N(255) in RGB
o = c(C) + m(M) + y(Y) + k(K) + N(100) in CMYK

The output value is then mapped either to a specific channel, or to all three if "monochrome" is selected.

As far as the magic, the uses of the tool are limitless, but it's primary use is black and white conversion. I recommend you hit that monochrome checkbox and play with the sliders, as it will help you get used to what the tool does. It is also important to start to think of an image as a stack of greyscale images when you start working with the tool.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited by MBChamberlain; 09-22-2009 at 12:05 AM. Reason: mistyped formula
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2009, 02:03 AM

Michael, big thanks for quick and ilustrating answer. Need to spend some time with this tool and understand more "How" and "why".
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2009, 06:13 AM

That was an excellent tip, thank you for posting, maybe you could add it to the retouchpro tutorials.
cathy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 08:00 PM

I think the uses for this would be a bit limited to consider it a tutorial. I am working on a video lesson series though (which hopefully I can figure out the sound for so my voice won't sound so weirdly high), that should have its first installment out in the next few weeks. I was almost done, then I decided that I'm not at all happy with my challenge photo, so I'm going to reshoot it. Lesson 1 will be on black and white conversion and heavily feature the channel mixer .

Cheers,
Michael
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching