RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

MADMEN Shoot - Annie Leibovitz - Compositing?

Old 09-08-2009, 02:46 PM

MADMEN Shoot - Annie Leibovitz - Compositing?

I saw in the September issue of VANITY FAIR a photo shoot by Annie Leibovitz of the cast of the television series MADMEN. I was wondering how she is retouching the photograph below. I've attached a still from a behind the scenes video.

As you can see there would of had to of been some compositing or a great deal of cloning to be able to remove the flash head and modifier out of the shot to create what appears to a naturally lit photograph. Also there would of had to of been a lot of color correction to make the image appear to be naturally lit.

I think it's a fantastic look, does anyone care to comment on Annie's process here?

THE SHOT
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...adMen-shot.jpg

THE VIDEO STILL - BEHIND THE SCENES
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...nie-MadMen.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 03:27 PM

Re: MADMEN Shoot - Annie Leibovitz - Compositing?

cloning that pirate out would be a sinch with a background plate! i'm sure she's a bright woman!

anyway, look at the crop, the assistant barely, if at all falls into the shit, maybe his light pole a little over the blinds, but thats it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 03:28 PM

Actually having studied the image a little further I've found that the perspective and angles are all wrong on the final image. Take a look at this...

Here is the still from the video with the correct perspective:
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...Men-corner.jpg

Here's the mess of a composite with jacked perspectives/angles...
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/g...erspective.jpg

I'm sure a background plate was taken, but seeing as though she is shooting handheld it would be a pain to align and stitch.

Last edited by vapour; 09-08-2009 at 03:36 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post
As you can see there would of had to of been some compositing or a great deal of cloning to be able to remove the flash head and modifier out of the shot to create what appears to a naturally lit photograph. Also there would of had to of been a lot of color correction to make the image appear to be naturally lit.
One of the reasons she has an assistant holding the light instead of just putting it on a light stand is so the assistant can move it around and get light to hit the subjects at many different angles and work out which one works the best.... this might mean several different photos may make up the final one. I'm willing to bet that the girl and guy are from separate photographs. I'm sure she has one without the assistant in that spot so they could just take that corner of the wall and place it over where the assistant might be in frame.

And the strobes are going to be daylight balanced so it wont have to be color corrected too much to match the outside light. It looks like they warmed up the photograph significantly. The retouchers that work on her photos are top of the line, she shoots and hands it over to the people at BOX or someone - and the composting is probably one of the more simpler tasks they'll do in post production.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 05:23 PM

Man, at first sight this photograph is great, but the more I analyze it the more I see it's flaws.

Like take for example this clone job... look near his bum the horizontal line that runs on the wall... it's not straight and all squiggly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 05:49 PM

About the angel... why do you think that the behind the scenes shot is about the final production... When I do my behind the scenes videos I don't film 6 hours of work...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 07:45 PM

Vapour I think your asessment of the angles in the room may be wrong, looks to me like the original shot has a bevelled wall too.

Its mainly cleanup, maybe compositing two shots him and her, and really excellent color taste and correction. Multiple exposures maybe to get the light controlled if that's daylight from the window. The light in the shot has been just very well done, and that's the photography.

Last edited by Markzebra; 09-08-2009 at 07:53 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 07:55 PM

I'm not saying the still shot is of the final shot, I was just using it as an example of how the room lays out and how its structured.

If you take a look at the room, where the two walls meet in the corner, the framed picture is to the left of the corner. In the final shot the framed picture is to the right. This is clear evidence that there has been some compositing.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 08:13 PM

they created a new wall in the final shot. because it is a composite piece, they ran into extra spacing issue so a new wall had to be created. if you look at the video still, annie shot jon hamm right where her assistant (white shirt standing) and the second shot of january jones right where annie standing in the video. i have to say the angles of the base boards don't add up.

also, jon hamm is not in january jones' line of sight. though that might be the photographer's intention but that doesn't make sense. i think we can dissect all we want but this image was targeting general audience.

with hundred of thousand dollars she owes box studio, i don't know if they worked on this project
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-08-2009, 11:21 PM

toan is correct. they indeed had to create a corner wall (third) in order to create space for the chair to sit. and yes the line of site of January Jones staring at Jon Hamm is off as well. i agree the base board do not match up at all.

it does make you wonder, with all the financial mess that Annie is currently in, who is doing her retouching? she still has that "look" that I think is achieved, first and foremost by her lighting, but more over by the great color correcting.

i have heard second hand that she is very difficult to work with from a retouchers stand point by providing, what I assume, is a mess of photos that need to be stitched together to make a one piece installation - and this, is prime example.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching