RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Polaroid 809 "chocolate" look?

Old 09-08-2009, 08:41 PM

Polaroid 809 "chocolate" look?

Hi all, This is my very first post and am not that good at Photoshop, so any thoughts (the simpler the better) would be greatly appreciated!! Basically, I am trying to replicate the look of shooting ( the now defunct ) 8 x 10 Polaroid 809. This size Polaroid is shot by shooting a Polaroid color negative, and then sandwiching it in the Polaroid processor with a 8 x 10 B+W Polaroid positive. I think you need to overexpose by a stop or something like that (by memory). The result is a lovely "chocolate" print, not quite Sepia but something along those lines. The bad part of it was a) 8 x 10 isn't made any more b) It was expensive c) Using this method was twice as expensive as you were using half of two polaroids to make one shot (with the other half wasted). Anyway, enough of the background..... Here are some examples.

So, it is sorta a unique one, not quite Sepia, not quite paper negative turn of the century look....

Key things that I could note were;

* The chocolate color

* The mottled look you get from when the color negative and B+W positive don't quite stick together properly (this was a process that was never meant to work)

* The highlights in the shadows... Most evident in the attachment "Russia Party". Not sure what this is called but it sorta looks like the type of solarisation you get in the darkroom when you expose a print bto light before it is done developing..

So any other thoughts would be greatly appreciated!! As noted before, for a number of reasons, this look is out of my grasp and I would love to be able to replicate it...

Best Regards Andrew
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1_harpers_chanel3.jpg (43.0 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg 7_coco.jpg (27.4 KB, 143 views)
File Type: jpg 2girl-in-woods.jpg (40.4 KB, 116 views)
File Type: jpg 3puddle.jpg (31.3 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 6russia-party.jpg (38.9 KB, 106 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 11:29 PM

Re: Polaroid 809 "chocolate" look?

Hmmmm, So nobody out there has a response?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 11:46 PM

Do you have an example image to work with?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 12:57 AM

I have attached 5 images as examples. Are these not coming through? I can see them under my initial post when I log in...

I will attach them again. Thanks for the response.

Actually, when I go to attach them again, it tells me I have already attached them.. So here are some others as well.

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5promise.jpg (38.9 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 8vogue_russian4.jpg (37.6 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg 6_feathers.jpg (35.7 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg 8_harpers_chanel.jpg (37.9 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 01:23 AM

Before examples.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 03:12 AM

Hi, Maybe you are misunderstanding me, there is no "before" image, this is the look it has when it comes out of the Polaroid processor. Thanks, look forward to some thoughts. Cheers Andrew
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 06:30 AM

You have posted rater small images as an example, so I had to work with what I had. Using "Russia Party" as a reference here is with what I came up with. That one has a slight greenish feel to it, others are more warmer, leaning twords sepia. It's the same process with just some little color tweaking.

I thought this job is for photoshop plug-ins with some manual tweaking.
More specifically these:
http://www.niksoftware.com/silverefexpro/en/entry.php
(for B&W conversion, adding film grain, vignette and the basic look)
http://www.niksoftware.com/colorefexpro/en/entry.php?
(for "Polaroid transfer" type effect)

After that, its just the matter of some masking and tweaking by hand.
This can be achieved by photoshop actions (prerecorded set of events) and presets within the plug-ins themselves, but it would require some serious calculations to came up with the universal action, since every image is different in mood and style.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Original.jpg (84.2 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg Polaroid-Transfer.jpg (91.4 KB, 85 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2009, 02:13 PM

I understand that wallpaperviking is trying to achieve that brownish tone to the photos...I took milan's original and desaturated. Then applied a layer style color overlay. For color choice I took sample from one of wallpapervikings photos and lowered opacity to 60%. Then I used linear light blending mode. It's far from done, but if you tweaked and fooled around with other options, you might be able to recreate that look more effectively.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chocolate.jpg (77.0 KB, 40 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2009, 05:07 PM

dcarr, I think you missed the point:

* The mottled look you get from when the color negative and B+W positive don't quite stick together properly (this was a process that was never meant to work)

* The highlights in the shadows... Most evident in the attachment "Russia Party". Not sure what this is called but it sorta looks like the type of solarisation you get in the darkroom when you expose a print bto light before it is done developing..

"I understand that wallpaperviking is trying to achieve that brownish tone to the photos..." that would be simple sepia, but what "wallpaperviking" is trying to achieve is half-polaroid type look. Look at the shadows, there some solarisation effect going on, like the process in the darkroom wasn't finished or as it were a failure.

I used "Russian party" example as a reference, hence the greenish look, but some other have more warmer sepia type look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-16-2009, 10:18 PM

Thanks to both of your for your contributions, much appreciated!! Ideally I was looking for a way to achieve this look purely by working in photoshop and not having to mess around with plug ins but they do have a free trial so worth looking into. Will have a play with both ideas and see if i can't come up with something. Thanks again for your input.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching