RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Steven Meisel - Color Correction

Old 09-10-2009, 12:24 AM

Re: Steven Meisel - Color Correction

Do you think that each individual piece was modified? IE. the retoucher individually with the pen tool or what have you, made masks for each individual outfit, individual skin, shoes, windows, seats etc. and modified those selections with curves?

On top of that probably some global adjustments to make the piece look cohesive?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 05:02 AM

The problem as many others have pointed out is that we don't know what actually was done because we don't have the RAW file to look at.

A better thing is for you to try to take or have access to a similar photo, and then retouch it to try to emulate the look. When you're stumped then you can ask for what people think it could help to emulate the look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 09:13 AM

Yes I understand, and I doubt I'll get a hold of the original.

I guess I didn't know if someone who is used to retouching images like this (I know there are some hi end people here) could tell right away.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 01:04 PM

Vapour, there's really not one thing or some other thing that went into the color correction of this image. I'm sure it just the application of all of the usual techniques -- curves, selective color, hue/saturation, brushing, etc etc., applied selectively to the various parts of the photo. I also completely agree that this final image is a composite of several shots. He just kept the camera in one position, maybe shooting the train empty, with various exposures, and then shot the girls separately in the train (or maybe sometimes a couple together) and lit each girl for the effect he wanted. If he had to he retouched out the lighting tools from the pics. The lighting and posing is just too perfect on all of the girls for me to believe that it's all in camera, regardless of how good the models are. You can click on this link to see and read about how a composited image was shot in a another subway car... http://www.thefstopmag.com/?p=259
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:24 PM

Good link.

So do you think though that the models were actually in the train or do you think they could of been shot in the studio?

I understand individually lighting each subject and masking the scene together, Dave Hill use to do this a lot.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 04:32 PM

Again vapour, all you will get here are guesstimates. I would think one of the models that may have been shot separately (not on the car) may be the one I mentioned that looks more "pasted in than the others" the model on the upper left corner. But in actuality who can know for sure. As you saw in the Annie Leibowitz thread...
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-10-2009, 05:01 PM

I'd say that all of the models were shot in the train, but I wouldn't be super surprised if Cuervo were right about the fourth model... I can see the client saying, "Hmm.... there's some space up there, and maybe we should have four outfits in the campaign, couldn't we shoot a girl to fit up on top of the seats...?"
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 03:16 AM

All 4 were shot in the train I think, though obviously all 4 were pasted in from 4 different shots, and some parts are from different shots as well.

Color correction on all garments to make them look like the product. And the overall tone I quite like. It's a bit desaturated, with a green/yellow tint over the whole thing. It feels like "old" photography. Nice shots.
Reply With Quote top
Old 08-19-2010, 01:10 PM

I think it's a very long exposure using only the subway's florescent lighting. That's what gives everything the greenish cast. If you're interested in seeing more of how famous photographers light their images, check out: http://www.guessthelighting.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-26-2011, 08:04 PM

most images you see like this are usually composites, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is all cut and paste. When shooting multiple models it's rare you get a shot where each one has the exact pose and expression you want. To me it does look like they were all shot on the train as that upper left florescent light on the train seems to be the key lighting on each models face. Again though, its just my guess. It also looks like they went to a lot of trouble to find girls that looked similar and made them up to look alike. If their plan was to comp in four separate girls they probably would have just doubled one of them up.

I would be surprised about the theory on adding the fourth later. Usually on shoots at this level the client is there and they get a really good idea of what the final shot will be and most of the problem solving happens on the day and they arent really prone to leaving large empty spaces that will perfectly accommodate a fourth model later.

Its easier if you can get as much in the shot as possible and thats why they spend the money on the sets they build and lighting and hire people like Steven Meisel. As other people have pointed out the best way to get that greenish tint is shooting with florescent light in the beginning and it looks like he used a lot of it in the scene itself to light. Hard to say what he's doing for fill on this. shooting with flourescent does this greenish tint on film and thats where it came from. You don't really have to with digital to get the coloring but there is still something about it that works better for that cold light.

On your second image with madonna, its a bit harder to say on if it was fluorescents or not, as others have pointed out its hard to tell without the original. I didnt look it up but I am assuming Meisel shot the madonna ad as well and he's good at using the lighting he needs to get what he wants in the end ( saying he doesn't just stick to fluorescents to get his style so it could be or not be). If you like that fight club david fincher look though fluorescents is the way to start. Use a fogger to get the atmosphere in the restaurant.

You can tell her face has been touched up and the bag to draw attention to it but other than that I think the rest is just the color correcting, and as others have said thats all in the tweaking of curves, gradient maps, selective color, channels, these guys dont have a secret weapon really, they're just good at it and have a good eye.

These are great images, and Meisel is definitely a photographer to look to for inspiration.
Most of the "fashion" tutorials you find online are really bad and have a very loose definition of fashion. you can find a lot online about curves and color correcting and that does give a good place to start. With retouching, as people say on here, stay away from the ones that involve blurring large portions of the, its not the technique you'll want to go with if this is the type of imagery you want to make.

These are interesting images I found and meisel before and afters.
The first one appears to be without color correction and the second seem to be the way they would color it. again he uses a big fluorescent source in the shot itself.

without the greencast

with green cast

another without the green

another with green

and speaking of Madonna before and after retouching for Louis Vutton
this is pretty great
http://showstudio.com/forums/13974/42300

Welcome to photoshop, it may just ruin all your relationships.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching