RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Steven Meisel - Color Correction

Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 AM

Re: Steven Meisel - Color Correction

Take a look at this case study of these color tones including Meisel done not so while back.

Read here:
http://sidvasandani.blogspot.com/201...lm-effect.html
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 03:49 AM

From the same series. Probably not a composite.

Try using Color Balance and add more cyan and green.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg alb.jpg (82.7 KB, 154 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepiano View Post
From the same series. Probably not a composite.

Try using Color Balance and add more cyan and green.

I don't even agree on the first one being a full composite. I say she was sitting there, BG might have been added but I'm pretty sure the tables were there
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 11:19 AM

They definitely are composites....mainly for the models expressions and pose rather than the lighting. They are shot with one or two models at a time in the scene with the same lighting. Background was shot by assistants before Steven starts shooting the models.

Composites in stature of Photographers like Steven Meisel and Annie are purely to gain perfection in aesthetics and expressions, rather than to add a table or change backgrounds like say, Dave Hill does.

The process is very simple to shoot....here is a basic tutorial of such composite with just one subject....duplicated two or three times:
http://sidvasandani.blogspot.com/201...ng-models.html

In Stevens image, this technique is used in an elaborate set with different top class models.

For the color, there is def a soft flash used on the models from top, that has been balanced with fluorescent tubes to give the greenish cast and match it with the real ambient tube lights of the train. Photoshop for color is just used to fine tune and balance the tones and shadows.

Last edited by sid_v; 04-27-2011 at 11:24 AM. Reason: more text
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 01:22 PM

There's a lot of ways to get that color cast. Meisel gets his retouching done at Box, and I know someone who worked there, and odds are that there's one main S curve that is adding contrast and overall pop, and then with that same curve adjustment layer, the colors are weighted toward the green/yellow/cyan side. There's probably several smaller adjustment layers for localized areas. Skin retouching done with a combo of cloning and dodge and burn. I doubt that it's any more complicated than that.

I've seen some of Meisel's raws, and he's just a great photographer who knows how to light and compose. At that point, retouching is just the cherry on top.
Reply With Quote top
Old 04-27-2011, 03:03 PM

interesting article about the man behind Box, Pascal Dangin.

Pascal Dangin_New Yorker

Even with a studio like this behind you eraanexact makes a very good point. For good retouching it is really that little extra to take an image beyond, but at the base of it all these guys like Meisel, and Klein are really incredible photographers and know what they are doing. If you are just getting started it also pays to look at art history and how painters were able to use light and color.

the part about these forums I find interesting is of course we all want to put out images like Meisel and his contemporaries and it goes without saying they know what they are doing. The point of these forums is we all are trying to grow and get better. Altough most retouching is the same techniques and it takes a lot of practice even if you know the exact steps sometimes the best way on here to find out more about a style is to just say,"This is cool, how Do i do it?" Especially when your examples are from photographers in the top of their field working with clients and publications at these levels.

This thread people have been great about giving advice, i've just noticed in some of the others on here some people seem to get annoyed with the "how do I get this look" question because there are always so many variables. It is a forum though and you've got to ask and most of the time some really interesting links come up and good advice on steps to getting closer to asking the images users want to...but I digress. Good stuff.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-21-2012, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_v View Post
Take a look at this case study of these color tones including Meisel done not so while back.

Read here:
http://sidvasandani.blogspot.com/201...lm-effect.html
its a good study but to say at the end "hire pascal if you want to get this look" isnt all that helpful. I can look at an image and see it has blue in the shadows, but still cant get the results I want even when I have similar lighting.
even on this guys site his grading examples aren't great but do show some techniques for those that haven't seen them before so thats nice at least.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching