RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Color correcting different skin tones in same pic?

Old 09-11-2009, 06:03 AM

Question Color correcting different skin tones in same pic?

Hi, I would like to know what's the method to color correct skin tones in the same picture. I usually use the curves method with black and white point, but some parts of the skin don't get color corrected. Sometimes, correcting some areas of the skin destroys other areas. I would appreciate some suggestions for this.

Thanks,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 06:07 AM

Re: Color correcting different skin tones in same

lol, this may read like a "broken record" but, try to make a solid color layer set color with 40% opacity paint on the mask where you want it to affect the photo, and then pic different parts of the photo so you see what's the best color to match your skin color (start with the darkest skin colors first to pick on)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 06:16 AM

Thumbs up Re: Color correcting different skin tones in same

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
lol, this may read like a "broken record" but, try to make a solid color layer set color with 40% opacity paint on the mask where you want it to affect the photo, and then pic different parts of the photo so you see what's the best color to match your skin color (start with the darkest skin colors first to pick on)
Hey Cuervo, how's going

I do that too, but I left that way because I thought it's not the best way, but when I don't find another way, I finally do that. I also put that layer in color blend mode, and some times in HUE, depending on how the color blend affects the skin layer. By using the HUE blending mode, lightness isn't affected.

Thanks for your reply!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 06:25 AM

DId you try changing that to using a gradient map?
Also the curves method you mention is the one where you change the input and output? That method only works with the parts you want to change, and you paint on the mask only on the parts you want affected.

I know what you mean when you feel its not "the right way to do it" specially if you start to paint over completely white parts. What I do is that if its too noticeable I cover the mask in those parts.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuervo79 View Post
DId you try changing that to using a gradient map?
Also the curves method you mention is the one where you change the input and output? That method only works with the parts you want to change, and you paint on the mask only on the parts you want affected.

I know what you mean when you feel its not "the right way to do it" specially if you start to paint over completely white parts. What I do is that if its too noticeable I cover the mask in those parts.
Ahhh... Never tryed a grandient map for that. I'm pretty new at gradient maps! I will try that.

For the solid color you say, try using HUE, the highlights will not be affected by the color
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Patron

Mart, if the skin color is off but the color of the rest of the image is pretty close, then sometimes a Selective Color Adj layer is the most effective solution. There are many other techniques in addition to the ones mentioned above. However, it would be better if you attached a sample image so we could see what the best approaches would be.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Mart, if the skin color is off but the color of the rest of the image is pretty close, then sometimes a Selective Color Adj layer is the most effective solution. There are many other techniques in addition to the ones mentioned above. However, it would be better if you attached a sample image so we could see what the best approaches would be.
Regards, Murray
I have not an example right now, I was just wondering about all the cases this could take place. I will keep your advice as well!

Thanks for the help, Murray

Mart
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching