RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

help w/ this image: removing color cast

Old 09-12-2009, 10:31 PM

help w/ this image: removing color cast

I photographed a dog hunt test today. During one of the shots I got this black Labrador and there is a green blur from the grass over his paw and leg, and then the grass and ground is discolored in the same area.

I got decent results w/ the clone stamp tool using the "color" mode, but it was not good enough for printing. But I am wondering if there is a better method w/ other tools to fix that area over the dog's right front paw and ground.

Thanks,

Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC46062.jpg (97.9 KB, 234 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-12-2009, 11:34 PM
Patron

Re: help w/ this image: removing color cast

Doug, there are many ways to get rid of the green. One quick and simple way is a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YLWDOG_DSC46062 MM.jpg (160.8 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by mistermonday; 09-12-2009 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Uploaded correct image
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 07:42 AM

Hi Murray,
That looks decent. The problems I typically have is the blending of detail when altering an image when the adjacent cells contain harder lines.
In this method you used did you simply select the offending area and begin altering it, or was there more to it, i.e. feathering or some other combined tools/technique?

Thanks for the help,

Doug
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 09:13 AM

Try my "Blur away the color cast" tutorial as a start. Link to my PS tutorials in my signature.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 10:17 AM

In addition to Murray's "Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer" I would use some curves/levels adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC46062_Chillin1.jpg (161.4 KB, 89 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 11:50 AM

targeted yellows in Hue/Sat layer with a mask thena little cloning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lab-and-duck.jpg (99.6 KB, 65 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 03:46 PM

used rectangle selection tool selected the green area on the dogs foot. selected black from around the area of the green cast. used the paint brush in color mode to remove green cast. used a levels adjustment to correct the highlights in that area. used the burn tool to finish up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg retriever.jpg (98.1 KB, 56 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 07:10 PM

played about with white balance ,hue sat,contrast.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _DSC46062 copy.jpg (97.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by daitri; 09-18-2009 at 01:01 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-13-2009, 09:48 PM
Patron

Doug, a simple Hue/Sat layer can take care of the whole problem without burning or selctions or color range selections. You can follow this process with the screenshots attached.

1. At the bottom of your Layers Palette, click on the add adjustment layer button and select Hue / Saturation. From the pull down menu (master is default), select the Green channel. Look at the rainbow sliders at the bottom of the window (circled in Red) where the Green hues are shown between two split triangles. Drag these two triangles toward each other until the meet (touch) preferably around the center of the space between them.
Now drag the Saturation slider all the way to the left to the end. Finally select the eyedropper with the plus sign. The result should look like Screenshot2 below.

2. Move your eyedropper over the dogs legs. Click on an area that is green and you will see it turn gray/black. Click on another area that is green and more will turn gray/black. Keep doing this on both legs until all of the green is gone. This may take you anywhere between 1 and 5 clicks. The rest of the photo will be affected but do not wory about that for the moment.
You will notice that some of the areas where the green contamination was are now gray instead of black. That's because the green was also lighter. So to fix this, just drag the Lightness slider to the left. I pulled it back to -80.
The result can be seen in Screenshot3.
When the legs look ok to you click OK.

3. Now we need to quickly fix all the rest of the image whose color was adversely affected by the adjustment layer. This will be easier than it looks.
At this point you will notice a white square or layer mask on the Hue/Sat layer. We want to invert it to make it black. It should automatically be active so just press Ctrl+I to invert it. If for some reason it is not active, just click on the white square and hit Ctrl+I. You will now see that the image has returned to its original start - green cast and all. No problem.
Hit the D key to reset the Foreground/Background color swatches in the tool palette to Black & White. Make sure White is the foreground color (if not hit the X key to toggle it). Now select you Brush tool, set the hardness to about 25% and paint over both of the dog's legs. If you accidentally overshoot onto the background, just hit the X key and paint over the spill with black to fix it.
It should take you about 30 seconds to paint the adjustment back in. The whole process should only take you about 2 minutes once you go through it.
The result is Screenshot4.

I hope this helps.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg YLWDOG Screenshot1.jpg (183.9 KB, 94 views)
File Type: jpg YLWDOG Screenshot2.jpg (171.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg YLWDOG Screenshot3.jpg (167.2 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg YLWDOG Screenshot4.jpg (154.8 KB, 102 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-14-2009, 06:08 AM

Good Day Murray:
That was a fantastic way to handle the problem, thank you!
If I may, would you be able to explain to me what each step did so that I may understand better what is happening, e.g. "Drag these two triangles toward each other until the meet (touch) preferably around the center of the space between them", is this for the purpose of reducing the spectrum of green that will be working with in this step?
If you do not mind explain the reason behind the method I would also like to ask a few more detailed questions during your explanation.

Again, thank you sincerely

Doug
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching