RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

D&b

Old 09-18-2009, 10:54 AM

Re: D&b

Thank you, maxxxim.
I absolutely agree with madclark.
1. Removing large imperfections.
2. For Dodging: I used Curve adj. layer (output:165/input: 95) set to Normal w/ Black filled layer mask. (not 50% gray, but BLACK) Then I used soft brush set to Opacity: 10%/Flow:15%. It's a bit high if you use a mouse. That's pretty much it...a lot of patience and zooming in and out...
It took me about 5-6 hours....

Thanks,
HK
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2009, 04:15 AM

Hi all. I have tried to retouch the original photo posted by Henna , and this is the result. I don't use B&D technique, because it is a very frustrating work. Fot the retouch i spent 15 minutes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first1.jpg (85.2 KB, 94 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2009, 04:56 AM

I'm sorry maxxxim, but this looks obviously filtered. The face is somewhat shining and way to blurry.
Trust me, when you're getting to know d&b you'll love it!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2009, 08:56 AM
Patron

Hi Maxxim,
Yes, D&B work is very long, tedious, and often frustrating. However, the difference in the results produced is quite noticeable. Like everything else the method to be used is a trade off between perfection and compromise. If your results are pleasing and acceptable to you and your customer, then that is a good value proposition.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-20-2009, 12:53 PM

Maxxim,
It's pretty cool looking...but it's too blurry for my taste. This is the look that I'm trying to stay away from. It just says PHOTOSHOP!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HennadiyK View Post
Maxxim,
It's pretty cool looking...but it's too blurry for my taste. This is the look that I'm trying to stay away from. It just says PHOTOSHOP!

Ok, there is too blur on the face. However, the basic blurring tecnhnique that I know (a second top layer + blur surface + mask ) DESTROYES all the pores of the skin, and the texture becomes "flat" like porcelain. In my sample, instead, the skin is almost "unchanged" . The way that i want to test is based on the separation of frequency. Moreover, i am not a photographer: this, for me, is only an hobby. And i agree with all you: b&d, at the time, is the most professional technique for best results
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxim View Post
Ok, there is too blur on the face. However, the basic blurring tecnhnique that I know (a second top layer + blur surface + mask ) DESTROYES all the pores of the skin, and the texture becomes "flat" like porcelain. In my sample, instead, the skin is almost "unchanged" . The way that i want to test is based on the separation of frequency. Moreover, i am not a photographer: this, for me, is only an hobby. And i agree with all you: b&d, at the time, is the most professional technique for best results
After destroying the pores, duplicate the backgrpujd layer and put it on the top of the destroyed pores layer, then shange the blend mode to hard light and open the Highpass filter, add somebout about 1px of radious or less. That way you will recover the pores.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 10:40 AM

Good work HK! Superb attention to detail. If I might add my two cents worth, I see the eyes as being unnatural. Take the saturation down one notch on the eyes to be sort of in between the original and current.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-21-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxxxim View Post
Hi all. I have tried to retouch the original photo posted by Henna , and this is the result. I don't use B&D technique, because it is a very frustrating work. Fot the retouch i spent 15 minutes.
It looks like you didn't preserve enough detail on the HF layer. In addition too much blur was used on the LF layer.

Before correcting skin tones with separation techniques, make sure you've got the majority of texture saved on the HF layer - more than if you were using the split for sharpening. For the amount of blur you applied to the LF layer, a much higher separation radius would be needed.

Too much blur loses the tonal definition of her face and loses a certain range of low frequency skin texture. Make sure you are only de-grunging and not losing the depth. If for some reason you're forced to excessively blur the LF layer, make sure you add some chunky film grain on a soft light layer 20% opacity clipped to the highlights. Thanks to Sean Baker for that trick as well as this script which creates a much more realistic texture than film grain:

http://www.twicebakedphotography.com/download/Noise.jsx

Here's your image with the added low frequency detail. I had to use 40% opacity because the low frequency layer was so smoothed. It's subtle, but it helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg f.jpg (80.2 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg fv0fzegf.jpg (84.0 KB, 50 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 09-21-2009 at 06:45 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
It looks like you didn't preserve enough detail on the HF layer. In addition too much blur was used on the LF layer.

Before correcting skin tones with separation techniques, make sure you've got the majority of texture saved on the HF layer - more than if you were using the split for sharpening. For the amount of blur you applied to the LF layer, a much higher separation radius would be needed.

Too much blur loses the tonal definition of her face and loses a certain range of low frequency skin texture. Make sure you are only de-grunging and not losing the depth. If for some reason you're forced to excessively blur the LF layer, make sure you add some chunky film grain on a soft light layer 20% opacity clipped to the highlights. Thanks to Sean Baker for that trick as well as this script which creates a much more realistic texture than film grain:

http://www.twicebakedphotography.com/download/Noise.jsx

Here's your image with the added low frequency detail. I had to use 40% opacity because the low frequency layer was so smoothed. It's subtle, but it helps.

Thanks for your advices, but i'm very new with the technique.

Can you post your retouch of master pic (original) ?
Which is your workflow? Do you use any action?

And ( please don't laugh ) how do you use script in PS ????
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching