RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Beauty retouch psd

Old 01-24-2010, 11:39 AM

Re: Beauty retouch psd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuddhaBIO View Post
Ok, but finally one last question! before I begin the healing process, I look to the previous layer and the Split Group and see no difference! They look the same! what´s happened?
With splitting you literally broke apart the image in 2 (low frequncy and high frequency). Putting the HF layer in linear-light mode over the LF one you reconstruct the image. So there is no visible difference between the original one and the Split one. The difference is that the original is one layer the split one is two layers with different characteristics.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:35 PM

Ok I know the difference now but... What tool is the best for the job, the healing brush and the clone tool? maybe in Lighten/darken modes this ultimate one? thank you guys!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-24-2010, 02:50 PM

I use the Healing Brush most of the time, go with the clone when I need accuracy because the borders, for example, fixing the skin near the eyebrows. Sometimes I use a 50% opacity clone then I fix borders with healling brush. With this technique it's almost not need to use the clone stamp tool. No need to change the belnd mode, unless you're fixing stray hairs, where you need to use the clone stamp tool 100% opacity and darken mode.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 07:25 AM

Ok, I´ll try my best with the Split Group and begin to healing to see the difference with the straight layer approach.
Thank you so much Quantum3.
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Ok, I´ll try my best with the Split Group and begin to healing to see the difference with the straight layer approach.
Thank you so much Quantum3.
You probably find no difference at the begining, and sometimes, there is no difference at all, but as long as you use the split technique you will tell the difference. I started using this technique around 2-3 months ago and found nothing interesting on it, but I tried many times till I got the idea. It's something that cannot be understood right away, you just use it and make some tests and you will find the utility of this. I tried, for example, using different sets of gaussian blur, starting at 4px, then 8px, 12px till 60px more or less and found that there is not noticeable difference between. However, Now I know how much I must blur what would be the LF layer. The more you blur the image, the finer texture you will get in the HF layer, so, when you do the healing ˇs more accurated and more applied to the texture itself. Lower radius allow the grunge being healed too, but grunge is something you want to treat separatelly from the texture work. Grunge would be like a Medium Frequency. This is something I got realized 1 months or 3 weeks ago more or less. Also, I don't know how much relevant is that I use to D&B in the LF layer, in order to avoid messing with the texture. Also, you can grab big areas of texture from the HF layer aqnd copy them to a separated layer and put that in other places and that way, fix highly damaged areas. It's a long journey!
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 08:52 AM

I have read a lot on this technique and I´ve found a primary problem as you said: how much must I blur the LF layer? and why? maybe is a trial and error thing but now It seems a little bit confused to me...
Quantum3, where do you come from man?
Reply With Quote top
Old 01-25-2010, 08:59 AM

Quote:
I have read a lot on this technique and I´ve found a primary problem as you said: how much must I blur the LF layer? and why? maybe is a trial and error thing but now It seems a little bit confused to me...
Quantum3, where do you come from man?
Yeah, the blur is something hard to udnerstand, but it's that thing I tild you. More blur, finer texture to heal. I usually use between 10 and 15px. Rarely 20px.

I'm from Argentina, you?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching