RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to even skin colors?

Old 09-24-2009, 07:13 PM

How to even skin colors?

Hi People,

I'm wondering how to even skin colors. For example, in the arm we can have different colors, not only nbecause the skin is not even, but also because lighting. The less light, the more satuarted tones. I tryed something like D&B but with a desaturated layer. I'm going in the right direction?

Thanks in advance,

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Re: How to even skin colors?

Gradient Map Adjustment Layer... Color pick a darker skin tone in the photo as your dark to fade into a color picked highlight on the skin. Fill the gradient adjustment mask with black and paint in white to make it even.

Or use a lasso with a large feather and use Curves to adjust the problem areas.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 09:20 PM

Smile Re: How to even skin colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post
Gradient Map Adjustment Layer... Color pick a darker skin tone in the photo as your dark to fade into a color picked highlight on the skin. Fill the gradient adjustment mask with black and paint in white to make it even.

Thank you very much for the answer, Vapour (weird nick you picked! Why did you chosed that nick? I'm intersted on that). I'll try the grandient map thing (I was trying that, but withoug good resukts due my ignorance) and I will post here if it worked (I think it will )

Thanks!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapour View Post

By the way, I tryed adding a HUE adjustment layer and moving the reds luminance to the right and using a soft brush with flow 1% in the problematic areas and it worked pretty nice
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-24-2009, 09:49 PM

Hi Mart, I've been retouching 25 years, I like to use the brushes and colorize the areas along with dodge and burn. You need to not destroy the pix"s and maintain control of all areas. and go at it gently. so many want to rush thru it all the time.
check me out at.
http://www.grunisstudio.com
I have a few faces skin tones that i did there too.
steve g.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 05:37 AM

Thumbs up Re: How to even skin colors?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Grunis View Post
Hi Mart, I've been retouching 25 years, I like to use the brushes and colorize the areas along with dodge and burn. You need to not destroy the pix"s and maintain control of all areas. and go at it gently. so many want to rush thru it all the time.
check me out at.
http://www.grunisstudio.com
I have a few faces skin tones that i did there too.
steve g.
Hi Steve

I would like to know your method too. I had raise the luminosity of reds for example, by using a HUE adjustment layer then inverting the mask to black and painting with white with a soft brush at 100% opacity and 1% of flow. I painted in the areas I found the problem and to me it worked, but who knows, I just have 2 years retouching pictures (professionally) and just nothing doing it for beauty or such. I think I had retouched no more than 4 pics in terms of beauty/fashion. Unluckily, i Cannot find a client less detail obsessed, so the 2 ones I found so far are turning me crazy, but anyway, I do love retouching. I'm having a 30 hours job which I did part in 2 days non stop (just for sleeping and eat) and I still cannot finish it because the details I must fix. Of course, this work could be done in about 8-10 hours, however, the mental excersise I'm doing feels damn good. I just see at my old stuff so easy to do! This reminds me when I practiced for 2 years drums, in order to make a music death metal band (you know hwo is the drums in that kind of music, so practice is a must). So... Would you explain a bot hpw aboput dodge and burn would solve the problem? I had used that method, but it also affect luminosity, so I use it for only that.

Thanks!

Mart

PS: I'm in that site. I'm looking at a truck. I really like that image

Nice website... By the way, here is the best example of what I'm trying to fix.

Pic: http://www.grunisstudio.com/com_pg1.html (the before to the last, a color mix girl, something like african/latin a raze mix). If you see below her chin, the color is more orange and saturated due the poor amount of light in that area, meaning the shadow under her chin ^^ and also on her chin. More saturated colors where shadows between her throat and her collarbone are located- That saturation annoys me because it changes the color and makes the image unbalanced. Her face looks more realistic (that's clear because it was camera-measured in that area). Instead, the previous pictures (another african mix with caucasian, seems that) has a very nice skin color, all homogeneus (that's because how she was lit, just letting you know I know why these color things occurs, it's natural born of the photography act). Well, that's what I would like to fix without altering the luminosity, just the color saturation in those areas. Any help?

Thanks a lot!

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 08:41 AM

Hi Mart, Send me a link to the picture you want to retouch. I do not understand where the picture is. I will try to help you as though I was doing the work. There are many ways to get the same results, I have found some of the simpler ways in my career.
steve grunis
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 02:40 PM

its an Aqualung song.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 09:23 PM

A selective color layer can help if the reds and yellows are uneven. For the reds, I pull magenta down and add a bit of yellow; for the yellows, i pull yellow down and add a bit of magenta. If the skin is overall too hot, I'll add a touch of cyan to both.

These are small moves. You can't do sophisticated color correction with it, but it's a good way to pull things into balance to make the rest of your job easier.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching