RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How to acheive this color look? Can I post link?

Old 09-25-2009, 01:30 AM

How to acheive this color look? Can I post link?

Hey everyone I'm trying to edit a photo similar to one I have seen on modelmayhem with unusual coloring.. Can I post links to a modelmayhem page? I'm not the photographer of the images...Is that legal?

Thank you all for your time!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 03:09 AM

Re: How to accevive this color look? Can I post l

Yes, a link is fine.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 03:14 AM

Thank you! Here are some examples... I'm not sure how to accheieve this look thank you for your time! I would love some ideas! Please and thank you!

http://www.modelmayhem.com/pic.php?p...&group_id=&ua=

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-25-2009, 04:10 AM

The coloring ( end effect ) seems to come from extensive use of the highpass filter ( to get the grungy kind of Tonemapping look ( often confused with HDR )).

Duplicate layer,set blending mode to Vivid Light, use Highpass filter set to 4 or something, use Levels to give more punch.
er
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 05:50 AM

And apply a shaodws and highlight to the image as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 PM

Just google sloppy lazy post production and you should find some tips. Or just duplicate the layer, either blend it with multiply or overlay, to make the contrast get heavy, then play with your saturation and make it off, then over do the shadow and highlight adjustment, and then try to oversharpen the whole mess with high pass or USM cranked up too much
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 05:19 PM

then grab an uzi and shoot all the pic and cook it over 300ºC then thrown it to your wall and see how it looks (Garibaldi, you don't need to be so bad wavy! lol) =D
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 05:22 PM

hahaha come on i figured you guys would be used to my replies by now and know I dont mince words lol. Ok ok, I know to each his own, i just dont like that look, it just over cooks it too much, but i know some people like it. But i did at least give the steps to do it so i sorta helped ;-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 05:40 PM

Yeah, I also don't like it and it looks pretty lame but the guy who asked about this is a newbie and probably needs to be taught a bit about what's beautifully retouched and what's not. There are ways to express our dislikeness towards something without using violence, otherwise, we step on our knowledge to punish the ignorant and that's being arrogant. Arrogance blinds our heart and takes us to a dead end with no improvements at all.

At the end of life I would preffer to be remembered as a good person more than a good artists, if I become such thing
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 05:54 PM

Ok, I knew it had to be Sunday, you made it to church today I see. lol. hang on hang on, I didnt use violence in my reply, ahem.... you were the one who was talking uzis and such. Theres nothign wrong with a new person asking a question at all, and Im glad to help out. but I can aslo include my opinion, and I didnt do it in that bad of a way. But back to the topic, I think most peopel would look at an image like that, more on the visual impact due to the extreme contrast and sheer in your facedness of it, rather than the subject or composition, I mean, its eye catching, at first, but certainly not anything that you are really going to stare at and be wowed by. I feel, that for some people, that look may be just what they want, but once you get past the initial impact of seeing that once or twice, you kind of are like eh. Let me put it another, way, its certainly not a method that involved a lot of technical know how or even finesse. Its quite brutal, and more often that not is done very fast and sloppily, rather than executed well, if its even possible on that sor t of post. theres all sorts of weird halos, funky color shifts, ashy patches, absolutley no shadow detail or separation, its like the blacks are solid from 0 through 50. Everythign in those images has a ring around it becasue thats what happens when you crank your shadow slider beyond what the image can take. highlights are blown out, the crowd in the background have a embossed look to them, etc. I personally just dont see whats so appealing, not to say its wrong, clearly the responses that the image got were from people who were raving about it. Certainly wasnt being violent or trying to push away a member in any way shape or form
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching