Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:51 AM

Hi Guys,

I'm pretty much new to retouching photos using photoshop and I can across this picture today:

I googled and came across the site but I didn't find one that really showed how to get this kind of effect and I was wondering if you guys could help me out with this.

I pretty much know how to get the eye colour and the coloring for the edges of the eye's mainly the skin coloring that I am looking for. Do you guys just brighten it with the brightness/ play with the curves?

Many thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 04:19 AM
Re: Skin..uhhh...bleaching?

Sometimes I use a adjustment layer set to Screen and mask the areas I dont want.
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-26-2009, 11:10 AM

Icetray, Welcome to RetouchPRO! Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends.

A simple white Soft Light layer with eyes etc masked might work

In conjunction with a combination of some of the applicable parts from the following procedures:

1. That Soft Dior Look for Portraits
2. The quick de-grunge trick
3. So So to So Sexy
4. Wet Skin
5. How to create Metal-Like Skin
6. 5 different methods to achieve the Amy Dresser look (pdf)
AdditionalComments and work flow from Amy Dresser(Download the PSD at the bottom of the post to see her work flow)

Pick and choose what might work for you..... then Practice cubed!
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-27-2009, 08:27 PM

A way to start is fill a layer with white and set it to soft light. Then with the Blend-If sliders, exclude the darkes regions from the effect. Split the shadow sliders with the option/alt key and you can get a nice subtle effect, bleaching the highlights but retaining shadow detail.

Another way is to dupe the original layer and put it on top, then use the Blend-if sliders to allow only the shadow detail through. This setup has the advantage of letting you control the intensity with the opacity setting. Putting it in multiply mode can give you a good deal of control with high contrast.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 07:26 AM

Thanks for the welcome and tutorials 0lBaldy. (: And edgework, your method seems rather interesting however, I don't really get what you mean by using the "blend-if sliders" (or where to find i for that matter). I'm pretty new to photoshop so please forgive me if I start to sound a little silly.

Also, does the skin colour of the model matter? Will using a darker skinned model not allow me to achive this effect or will it work on any skin?

Really appreciate your help on this guys. (:
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching