Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Jewelry and Cufflinks

Old 09-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Jewelry and Cufflinks

I am having great difficulty to take pictures for Cufflinks. I bought latest Cannon DS500 with Macro lenses and also bought the Cocoon and two side lights to give clear effect.

The image coming very clear but the problem is that even though that everything is white we still see the gray background. I want pure white, so I can display on our web site.

I understand the way to remove the gray shad is to go through some extract procedure which required some time. I have 100's of jewelry and cufflinks which will take forever to removal process.

Can anyone advice better way to take picture of these items.

However when I tried to adjust lighting effect in camera try to bright through camera it's shows more white background but I lose the image some visibility.

I will appreciate if anyone can help, I am new in the form and new the photographic industry so please be gentle with me.

Best regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2009, 02:11 PM
Re: Jewelry and Cufflinks

Could you post some of your images for us to see and then maybe someone here can offer some advice. There are several techniques to photograph products on a pure white 255 background. This can be accomplished in the lighting setup and tweaking the images in Photoshop.

I have done a lot of jewelry photography and it is the most challenging type of product photography to master. Interested in seeing some of your current jewelry images.

Thanks Steve
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2009, 02:56 PM

One is right here:

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-28-2009, 03:27 PM

Steve and D, thank you for your reply. I thought I did attached one sample!! Well I am attaching one now.

I have spent more than a week to sort this out, I achieved white background by adjusting Brightness and Sharpness but I am losing image quality!! It’s just not looking right. I have spent hours and hours setting up lighting but could not get the result.

Believe or not I am stuck on my first cufflinks and have plenty to go and about jewelry don't ask. Anyway please I will appreciate you advice.

Reply With Quote top
Old 09-29-2009, 10:56 AM

You need clipping paths, which can be done overseas for very affordable rates. Otherwise you will be destroying the tonality of your images for the sake of your background. Highly reflective metal and diamond highlights will, and should, photograph brighter than your far less reflective white background. When you push your B/G to white you're pushing your jewelry highlights way off the map.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching