RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Retouching, The Industry and the Profession.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:19 AM

Re: Retouching, The Industry and the Profession.

I have couple question for pros who are making money on retouching and know the industry well.

Do you all have education in this sphere? Like digital design and art or multimedia design? Could the education be "key criteria" for the high level client to choose a provider/employer for their services? Or is it portfolio that matters? Or you can get there only if you have connections?

And another one. What is better for you, being employer of some agency or freelancer?

Thank you in advance for answers,
Ilona
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Or you can get there only if you have connections?
Well my opinion is, and others might disagree with me - that it is mainly about connections. Photography 'training' is a very good starting point, you are more likely to be offered an opportunity from scratch if you have this than anything else, because in a sense you are a photographers assistant. And, honestly, nowadays being a woman helps enormously, certainly with trainee positions, never underestimate this. This is certainly true in London, don't know about NY.

Last edited by Markzebra; 10-13-2009 at 09:08 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 09:16 AM

Thank you for the answer Mark. Looks like connections is big part of any business in any country
what about education? is it really needed? or I could just apply for trainee position using only my portfolio?
I'm in Copenhagen and I guess it's different here...

Quote:
And, honestly, nowadays being a woman helps enormously,
I will definitely use THIS tip
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I will definitely use THIS tip
Yeah well you wouldn't be the first.

No I think having some kind of visual background - as I said in order of priority, Photography, art based, even design. The problem with most Design or Artworking people, is that their visual background can be assumed to be very 'hard edged', and in photographic and color terms, over-clean and basic. This can be seen as a disadvantage, probably unfairly when you think about it, when its a type of prejudice.

Some demonstration of photographic talent, interest, and judgment will get you a long way, certainly in your book.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-13-2009, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markzebra View Post
Yeah well you wouldn't be the first.
i didn't mean anything bad just a friendly smile and may be tight top

Thank you for your help, really cleared things up.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 02:53 AM

Hello

Some interesting comments on Job hunting etc which all sound good. A few quick things...

That product edit the I was talking about is done and up on my blog if you guys want check it out http://www.mayellphotography.com/?p=86 also Joey L just brought out his new tutorial DVD which could be worth checking out www.joeyl.com/sessionswithjoeyl/

Peace

Last edited by sammayell; 10-14-2009 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 08:13 AM

sammayell, I doubt that anyone in cosmetics would be happy if you change the colours of their products... especially like the yellow-tone foundation...
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 AM

Here's a quick example of what I would expect to hear in a review of that image;

Color accuracy aside, I'm assuming you have the actual products for reference, and the colors in your finished piece match the real thing better than the photo. Those reflections, um, aren't. If you don't have the time to build real looking reflections you're better off with more stylized, indistinct suggestions of reflections than obviously wrong-looking flips. Personally, I find the interplay of shadows in the original shot more interesting than faux reflections anyway, there's a lot to play with there, but in the end that's for the art director to decide. If they had their heart set on reflections you'd have to go back to the drawing board or reshoot the products on glass to source real reflections (which is something I do fairly often if I need a detail or effect and I have the product in hand - it doesn't need to be a huge production, just get the angle right, the lighting kinda close, and snap some shots with a point-and shoot). The products themselves look good, maybe could use more contrast in the blacks, but that's hard to tell on the screen. The stripped in MAC logo on the largest product has something odd happening inside the C, and the repaired C on the lipstick cap is too bright. The core shadows on the lipstick barrel are inconsistent across different planes, those shadows and highlights need to step across each level. The reflected highlight under the large product creates a strange void in the overall composition and the closeness of the values dilutes the impact of the light coming through the frosted glass bottle.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 PM

Thanks for the reply Abe

yeah I really struggled on the reflections... At first I tried to put in some basic shadows but that wasn't working out so i attempted the reflections.
Also now that I look at the lipstick I can see where your coming from with the DBurning. In future I will follow more closely the lit highlights and shadows.
Good Idea
Need to invest in a cheap shooting table with pixiglass that'd work perfect

Shadow LIght:
yes your totally rite I didn't even think about that. Was just liking the look of slightly more saturated colors. In saying that the colors of the actual products are about half way between the shot and my retouch
Thanks for the comment

Cheers
Sam
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 10:55 AM

Quote:
In future I will follow more closely the lit highlights and shadows.
Not what I'm saying, actually. It's OK to rearrange the shadows and highlights completely, as long as you keep them consistent - stacked cylinders in the same location should have the same ratios of highlight and shadow following their forms. Following the real ones can be helpful but not necessary. Also, the real ones can be misleading if there are reflections of objects in them kind of masquerading as shadows, or reflections of lights that end abruptly.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching