RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Need help...Please.....

Old 09-30-2009, 01:29 PM

Need help...Please.....

hello everyone...i will try to make this short and straight to the point....

Ok so i am an intermediate photoshop user and i am an upcoming graphic designer so right now i am just doing the basic flyers, business cards and etc.

now i have tried some techniques such as "surface blur" and clone stamp and end up getting this :
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...ront-share.jpg

But i am trying to get some thing near or even better than this:
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...lex/polly1.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z.../Bandileg1.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z...gazacopy-1.jpg

Now just to let you know i used the NIKON COOLPIX P90 to take the picture then used corel paintshop to remove digital noise then went into photshop to do everything else.

Could anyone give me some pointers or direct me somewhere i could learn how to...

p.s Is Imagenomic portiature is a good plugin to get?

Thanks In advance
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Patron

Re: Need help...Please.....

Flavasupreme, Welcome to RetouchPRO Hope you enjoy your stay here and make lots of friends. Poke around, ask questions, offer help, have fun!

???? what is it you want to learn how to... from what I understand.... You tried surface blur and got this... but you want to get something near or better than what you did before ??? If thats right... then... Practice cubed! You are doing fine!

It looks to me like all the samples you provided including the first one were done by the same person... even if you did or did not do all the work contained in the album by flavaflex... you are headed in the right direction and on the right track by practicing cubed in all the separate diciplines... Photography, Photoshop, layout... and because Photoshop is not a layout package, but a photo editing package it would be good to practice/learn graphic design, layout, and typesetting using Indesign, Quark or Illustrator

Imagenomic has excellent Plug-ins but whether you need them or not would depend on your skills using Photoshop..

I am sooooo confused as to your wants....
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2009, 03:32 PM

To me its looks like very heavy noise reduction, then sharpening. Like OlBaldy said, Imagenomic Portraiture may also be used to get that skin warmth and more smoothing.

Hope it helps,
-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2009, 07:47 PM

yep.."practice makes perfect".. and i must say i didnt go to school for this i just picked it
up as a hobby then decide to take it to the next level.

KEVEN..thanks..maybe i will try that and see what happens...

BALDY..THANK YOU FOR THE KIND WORDS and i will definately go on into those software but before i ask another question let me try to make u less confused....

The Three(3) that are together weren't done by me. But the one that by its self (construction).i did that one....i kinda figure i needed to sharpen the pics more or something. but my main goal is to get that REAL..& NATURAL look with a "HIGH DEFINITION FEELING".

But maybe this is the wrong board to post this on but i have a 12.2 mp camera (the NIKON COOLPIX P90..IF U WANT TO SEE)...and i am trying to maybe buy a continuous light kit to set up as a little studio to take the pictures. Correct me if i wrong...

But doesn't the picture comes out better if you have a "remote flash kit" rather than a stand alone continuous light?

Secondly..how can i get my pictures more vivid and clearer with this type of camera?
Reply With Quote top
Old 09-30-2009, 10:20 PM
Patron

I wrote this in another thread but it might apply here...

As a photographer, get the best shot you can, in camera, no matter what..

Always have a clear vision, a script, a story board, of what you want as a final picture... focus on the viewscreen.. look at the subject, background, peripherals, reflections, eyes, pose, and even, way in the back of your mind, think of what can be removed in post .. like the guy holding the tall lamp pointing down on the hair.. Not what could be improved in post... because generally speaking if it could be improved in post it could have been shot better... therefore.. always make sure that when you snap the shutter... there will be as little as possible work to do in post production...

If you shoot with the object of bringing a number of shots together by composting, then get the best shot you can, in camera, of each element... Keeping the shadows, highlights, general appearance, and continuity consistent with the base or background image and complying with the vision, script, story board, of what you wanted as a final picture..

If in post, you need to find details in the shadows or the shadows are blocked... the lighting could have been adjusted... if the highlights are blown out.. the lighting could have been adjusted... lost hair detail, flat eyes, stray shadows, color casts, reflections from outside the frame, etc... the lighting could have been adjusted or better controlled...

Even though it may take a lot of shooting to get that ONE shot that works and fulfills your vision of the image... keep on shooting till you get it right.. never settle for "we will just fix it in Photoshop!"...

Get the best shot you can, in camera, be consistent, and only show your BEST work!

You might glean some information from these lighting links

Strobist Learn How to Light - Lighting 101.

Lighting 102: Introduction

the Strobist Group on Flickr (A lot of people in this group put up lighting diagrams for their particular shots)

Hope this helps

We have some fantastic photographers who are members here at RetouchPro and since they are actively in the business and I have been retired for some time I will defer to them to answer your photography questions..

Come on all you photographers out there give this person some constructive up to date advise!

Good Luck, looking forward to seeing a lot of your work!

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 09-30-2009 at 10:46 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 04:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavasupreme View Post
hello everyone...i will try to make this short and straight to the point....
OK, Flava, then so will I.

Before you start editing that poster you need to get the grammar right.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front-share-1.jpg (95.2 KB, 22 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 08:42 AM

I don't see what's the difference between the result you want to achieve and what you have done.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 09:27 AM

For one the tools are all wrong.... and the words on the shirt need some warping or displacement mask.

As for the skin, the other skin has a little detail in it. But the main thing is the lighting in the picture and the D&B applied to contour the body.

-Keven
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 11:02 AM

And never use so many different fonts together.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-01-2009, 05:15 PM

Ok, I'm going to say some things that might sound a little harsh, so please know that they are intended to be helpful critique and not vindictive flaming.

There's a reason why people spend years in school to become graphic designers. There is an art to it that, with perhaps a rare exception, simply does not come without some training. I've spent five years as a design student, and would still hesitate to call myself a designer.

I guess the point to all of this is to say that your example(s) here reveal the fact that you have not had training in this area. To be perfectly honest, they are pretty poor. I could make a list of why they aren't working, but I think it'd be easier just to suggest that if you really want to do design work, get some training. Whether its through an online school, traditional college classes, or even books, it would behoove you to at least get a foundation of what good design is.

On top of that, the Photoshop techniques you are using, and trying to attain, are a poor choice if you want to have your stuff taken seriously. The biggest problem is that the images practically scream "I've been Photoshopped!" Instead of trying to get better at that fairly useless technique, I would suggest investing some time into learning some useful skin techniques, such as dodge and burn, or even degrunge in certain cases. Both of these can be easily found by searching the forums here.

The biggest help would be to look at the professional stuff being produced around you. Look at ads in a magazine. Do they honestly look anything like what you posted here? Look at the models. What's different between yours and theirs?

Hopefully taking these steps will help you hone your talents. Good luck!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching