RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Using the 'tilde' key . . .

Old 10-03-2009, 06:59 PM

Using the 'tilde' key . . .

Hi everyone

PLEASE can someone fill me in on how Chris Tarantino was using the tilde key to quickly access the black and white view of the masks he was creating in his webinar? He was somehow going into Quick Mask mode, then jumping to the black and white view, no? I thought by simply hitting the tilde key after entering Quick Mask mode, as he was demonstrating it, but obviously not!

And . . . When making a mask to, say, isolate the reds by using Selective Colour, how exactly was he using Command-Option-Tilde to make a selection? Was this some shortcut to avoid going into the Channels Palette and Command-clicking on one of the channels itself? It is really hard to keep up as he goes through stuff . . . Especially as the screen obviously refreshes just a bit slower than he operates!

Ta-ra

Raymond
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Re: Using the 'tilde' key . . .

hmmm,

would like to know that too.

glad I'm not the only one who did not "get" those points and how this tilde-key works?
(but was also my first webinar, so I didn't know/thought of asking for a live explanation??? :-( )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 02:17 AM

Heads up if you are using CS4 (Windows). The Ctl-Alt-~ short cut for luminosity has been changed to Ctrl-Alt-2 and all following shortcuts moved down accordingly. Ctrl-2 instead of Ctrl-~ selects the RGB channel, Ctl-3 the red channel and so on. Look at the shortcuts listed in the panels pallet. Maybe this is why it did not work for you? I usually forget this because I usually Ctl-click the channels icon for the same result.

Chris wrote an article on some of the material he covered in the webinar. Try this link

http://www.pmai.org/PhotoShopTips.htm

Click on the blue July 2009 text in the middle of the page. It will lead you to a PDF that you can download.

Viewing the selection channel still works the same. Q for Quickmask, then the tilde key.

This is for English keyboards - I have no idea what happens with any other language.

Larry

Last edited by leuallen; 10-04-2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: addition
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 09:42 AM

I'll have to try that.

My keyboard has a german layout on my macbook - found out that I don't have a dedicated "tilde" key....
it's the Alt-N combination - have to try how that works....

thank you for the info
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Thanks - great info!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen View Post
Heads up if you are using CS4 (Windows). The Ctl-Alt-~ short cut for luminosity has been changed to Ctrl-Alt-2 and all following shortcuts moved down accordingly. Ctrl-2 instead of Ctrl-~ selects the RGB channel, Ctl-3 the red channel and so on. Look at the shortcuts listed in the panels pallet. Maybe this is why it did not work for you? I usually forget this because I usually Ctl-click the channels icon for the same result.

Chris wrote an article on some of the material he covered in the webinar. Try this link

http://www.pmai.org/PhotoShopTips.htm

Click on the blue July 2009 text in the middle of the page. It will lead you to a PDF that you can download.

Viewing the selection channel still works the same. Q for Quickmask, then the tilde key.

This is for English keyboards - I have no idea what happens with any other language.

Larry
Thanks, Larry. I'll definitely be checking out that link in depth . . . looks like there are quite a few articles there by Chris. Good man! (Both of you . . .)

Turns out my tilde key is in between my Shift and Z keys on my Mac keyboard . . . the squiggly line Chris mentioned obviously isn't the § next to the 1 key, but the ~ . . . Did the tilde key USED to be next to the 1, but Apple decided to move it elsewhere and put a different, though also squiggly, symbol in it's place, simply to stymie me?! Aw, you guys . . .

Live and learn!

Cheers, everyone . . .
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-04-2009, 11:11 PM

Sorry about the confusion everyone. I have a plug-in that allows the key commands of previous versions of PS to work in CS4. You can find the plug-in on your install disc in the extras folder.
Hmm. I don't know about any of the keys moving on the keyboard. I am not at ALL familiar with the layout on foreign keyboards. I'll ave to look into that for future webinars.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
Sorry about the confusion everyone. I have a plug-in that allows the key commands of previous versions of PS to work in CS4. You can find the plug-in on your install disc in the extras folder.
Hmm. I don't know about any of the keys moving on the keyboard. I am not at ALL familiar with the layout on foreign keyboards. I'll ave to look into that for future webinars.

Chris
No worries, Chris. Wonder if it's a blighty thing? Hang on . . .

Yep . . . Looks like on UK keyboards they moved the tilde key from that top left position, for some reason. Or maybe it's never been there, over here? (How's that for a confusing sentence?!)

Cheers

RM
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leuallen View Post
doesn't do anything on my swiss keyboard. Should it allow you to paint on the layer and then switch to paint on the mask without clicking on the mask icon? I've always wanted to be able to do that
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 11:08 AM

You can do that KarimNassar on a adjustment layer by pressing the \ key.

Chris
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching