Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dynamic Skin pore textures

Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 PM
Re: Dynamic Skin pore textures

Originally Posted by wizprod View Post
So where to get them if possible?
I second that question, where do you get these skin pore plug-ins for PS CS4, MacBook?

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by SteveB2005
I second that question, where do you get these skin pore plug-ins for PS CS4, MacBook?
I somehow could bet that they're available on his website ;-):
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 06:30 AM

me walks in the thread

reads everything

restrains herself

goes away

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-07-2009, 11:05 PM

Hi Curveo79,

Question on the dodge and burn.

When I look at skin retouching issues on a face I sometimes ask myself 3 questions:

1.) Is the problem area caused by a difference in brightness?
2.) Is the problem area caused by a difference in colors?
3.) Is the problem area caused by a problem in underlying texture?

If I can "identify" any of these specific issues in an area...then I know what kind of problem im working with...and then I may have several ways of dealing with or approaching the problem.

If its a brightness problem...yes, I totally agree with you... that a D+B approach would be a great way to go. As an aside...As you go along in retouching... you begin to realize that there are usually several "very different" ways you can approach "the same" problem" in Photoshop. It depends on the retouchers personal experience, their present preferences, what works for them today, and where they "are" in the journey of retouching "artistry". We are all looking to grow our methods...and we are all on the lookout for new "tricks" to solve problems that vex us. So its OK to think and approach a single problem in Photoshop with different viewpoints. Most of us are heading for pretty much the same city anyway...but each of us is on different tracks. So I might approach a brightness problem in one way...and you might approach it in a different way. In Photoshop...we might both be right!

So, Back to point...If its a color difference that is causing the issue...(lets say like the difference of colors around a wrinkle or a skin tone unevenness) then D+B is not the right set of tools...maybe something like a selective adjustment layer could be good.

BUT, If its a bad texture issue...(like my deeply fissured and textured eye bag in this video) then that is a deeper problem. Even if I fix the brightness and color issues... it could be that the bad texture problem underneath may still show up... even after brightness and color correction...and still be offensive to me and the model. The texture in this models eyes shows us that she really needs some sleep. Thats an embarrassing look for many people. So, we wanted to give her a new, more graceful, under the eye texture was our evaluation. In the past I would have wanted to get rid of the crevice all together...BUT then... I would be left with a "soft smooth spot". That retouched area would have looked "very obvious" in the past because there were NO skin pore details left in the retouched area at all! Yuck! Un-real! Total smoothness. That's the problem we wanted to overcome. That is why we saw the need for add-on skin pore textures for make our necessary retouching efforts look more like skin... and less like plastic. We use the skin pore replacements to allow us to retouch much faster, and to look more realistic than we were able to before. Are they perfect?...Hardly anything is perfect. But this methodology allows us to retouch 4-6 client acceptable images in an hour rather than to work the whole solid day on just one Dodge and Burn picture. It depends on what we think our time is worth...and what the client says he wants to budget or pay for this image. Today, the new marketplace sometimes only wants to pay 5-20 bucks for an image that looks good. The worth of peoples time... and the new economy have forced us to try to look at things somewhat differently in our business side of things.

In the video example, I was just showing a typical example of what I was working on that night. It may not have been the best image... or the perfect methodology...but I thought I would just show what we are doing with skin pore add-ins. Having skin pore add-ins does simplify our workflow and it does create some new ways of approaching images that are very different from what we were doing even last year. Making soft retouch spots, or harmonized skin colors, look less plastic, and less obvious, and more-so like real skin, is the direction we are working to go in.

Because the pores are totally adjustable in position, kind, intensity, depth and lighting direction... we are able to make the same retouch edit look more naturalistic or more idealistic in the same session. So we are often having to have the end-client look at the image and tell us what their preferred levels are. This is a touchy area with people. This skin thing... the softness, the naturalness, the pores look, smoothing, electronic foundation... is so highly individualistic...that it is only the "paying end-client" who can really judge what they want "this time" in "this image" for "this budget cycle" and for "this project". Its a real guessing game and a balancing act in many ways. Everybody has their own "sometimes strong" individualized opinion when they see an image...its just like art. Sometimes I see the same art very differently than even the person next to me. We try to make our retouches as totally adjustable as we can from the start... because starting an image over again... because you "guessed" the client the wrong way... is a real pain. So for us, non destructive editing, and things like adjustable skin pores, and adjustable everything, makes a lot of sense. Apologize for mixing business with art...but sometimes retouching is like art...and sometimes financial considerations enter into the artistic side of things...unfortunately.

Last edited by ray12; 10-07-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-08-2009, 02:58 AM

Thank you for your detailed explanation.

Regarding the video example you where working on I found it weird that you used such a big brush specially on a macro on the face, normally I would use a smaller brush maybe 6 pixels and then work only on the texture of the eye bag if it bothered me at all (which in the end you just added kind of the same texture) and work with the eye bag as a "shadow" problem instead of erasing it off.
My approach is to work with the healing and clone tools to take away the bad "unique" (unique in the sense that they don't repeat, like really big pores) textures that are just going to be problematic (meaning more work) in D&B, rarely do I work the clone or healing tool with such big brushes because you end up with that problem you described in the video, and the result is exactly what "broader" D&B would of taken care of, hence why I only would use them in a circumstance where the texture of the skin (forget about the eye bag since you're going to make it disappear with D&B) is "good" or "bad".

As I mentioned I use D&B in two applications, 1 the broader and 2 the details. The broader would of taken care of the shadow part of the eye bag (which most of the time just leaves the texture intact) leaving you no need to "re attach" skin texture later. Of course D&B isn't without its extras, like "repairing" skin color that D&B accentuated (when darkening highlights or lightening shadows).

As I asked in my post, I would like to see an example where you can see more texture and see if works by using the "skin texture" replacement technique. Because in the example you posted in the video I still would of used D&B as an alternative (since the skin texture wasn't really apparent on it nor would I consider "bad").

I am putting you in a little bind since I only retouch my own work, so from the beginning I work to get the photo as "good" as my knowledge and hardware lets me "in camera".
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching