Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Dynamic Skin pore textures

Old 10-05-2009, 03:06 PM
Dynamic Skin pore textures

I have noticed a few sites that seem to advocate use of skin pore textures in retouching as oppose to 'a 6 hour dodge and burn' session.

I just wanted to know what are your views on this. Not wanting to get into a bad habit I thought I would ask for peoples opinions here first.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 04:46 PM
Re: Dynamic Skin pore textures

You should trust your instincts, you already suggest that this 'may' be a bad habit to get into. For all the people that tell you that there's no quick and easy solution to professional results, they'll be many more that will tell you there are.

I can tell you, from my perspective that there are no shortcuts. But who will you believe?
Trust your instincts and you'll know what to do.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 05:06 PM

nah, stay away from that bs.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 06:32 PM

what's next?
replacing hair with hair?

i agree, trust your instincts on it.
if you feel the need to go that extra mile or if it turns out to be a shortcut for you pursue it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 07:44 PM

IMO, not for retouching. Very useful for restoration work. Why ? The premise with retouching is that you are working from a high resolution, well composed image in which the skin contains natural pores and those pores are evident in the image. The intent is to simply improve them, not replace them. You are looking for color variation, blemishes, skin damage, etc., all of which the human eye is wonderful at determining when the repair looks natural in the final image.

In restoration work, there may be no skin in an general area of the face, such as one side of the face is missing or damaged. You may not be able to find matching skin from another area of the image. So, you must resort to borrowing skin from someone else, or applying textures from sources like you speak of. As improvements in software become available, these sources will certainly have more application in restoration work. However, the human eye and a patient hand are hard to beat for the art of retouch work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 11:21 PM
How I Use Dynamic Skin Pores

I have used Dynamic Skin Pore Textures for quite a while.

They are very efficient and effective to enable me to do a good retouch job very quickly and with good quality. Sometimes neither myself nor my clients can afford to spend the time or the money doing a 6 hour dodge and burn on the best 5 images in a shoot...thats almost an entire week of just retouching. So thats where the dynamic skin pores come in. They allow me to retouch an image believably in 10 to 15 minutes. The Dynamic part of the skin pores means that the pores match the look of the different kinds of skin on a face, and that they can be precisely positioned on the face or body and then continue to be adjustable in position, strength and intensity until you are satisfied with the effect. You just adjust the positioning and the intensity and blending until it appears correct to your own eye and judgment and needs.

When I retouch quickly I leave a lot of obvious smooth areas on the face where I have made corrections. These dynamic skin pores are used to add the underlying textures back in so that the smoothing areas and spots no longer stand out. I used to be heavy im learning how to be more subtle.

Its hard to say in words what this looks im going to try to see if I can make up a quick video clip to show what I mean. I have an image im working on tonight which is a medium quality image with dark eye bags under the eyes and has blotchy it might be an OK image to show what I mean... This is just a quick screen capture at lower res so the video may be a bit should be a bit better at full size on a 1024 screen. Here is the link:

Edit: Yep, you can see it pretty well... But... Im going to see if I can do a better and maybe higher resolution capture job later on when I have some more time. This just gives you the general idea of what they are and how I use them. Higher res makes the file size bigger so its a trade-off.

Last edited by ray12; 10-05-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 07:12 AM

Ray, thanks for posting the video... Just wondering where your skin pore textures come from?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 09:54 AM

Hi Praha,

The skin pore textures come from NYC models that were hired for their skin beauty. They were specially photographed and then the skin was extracted and then processed for re-usability in Photoshop. The different pore sets are now Photoshop plug-ins of a kind...they are stored in and work through the adjustment layers function... because we wanted them to be selectable, transparent, positionable and blendable. A while back we used to create manual skin pore texture masks and sheets...but now this newer methodology is much faster and versatile for us to re-use.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 12:25 PM

So where to get them if possible?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 02:12 PM

I have a couple of questions for you Ray12
Do you use such a big brush when you're using the clone and healing tool?
Would it not be easier to do that with Dodge and burn? Meaning, you could of killed the eye bag with a big brush set to maybe 20 or 30 opacity in maybe 5 clicks (specially if you've got practice).
I understand that for practical uses specially clients can't really tell the difference, I'm also wondering if this works with all kinds of photos as different lighting would get different texture on skin, do you have any examples where DOF isn't as shallow to see it work on a face that big part of it is in focus and with texture?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching