RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

How can I mask/erase part of a Layer style (shadow

Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 PM

How can I mask/erase part of a Layer style (shadow

Hi there

I've got a drop shadow on a person using a layer style, but the drop shadow goes around the whole person.

Is there a way of masking or erasing part of the drop shadow?

Thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Patron

Re: How can I mask/erase part of a Layer style (sh

Before you apply the drop shadow, you can make a selection of the parts you want shadowed and copy to a new layer and apply the drop shadow to that new layer.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 PM

a) Go to layer blending options and click on "layer mask hides effects" and use a layer mask and paint out the offending portion of the shadow.

b) If you have a layer mask for the outline put the layer in a layer group, add a mask to the layer group and paint out the offending portion of the shadow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 12:49 AM

If you have an existing mask or channel saved of the subject, I use the following technique for creating drop shadows.

Create a new layer above all other layers with just your subject on
CMND+Click on this new layer, or on a mask or channel of your subject
Then go upto menu - Select>Modify>Contract
Use a small amount of Contract to shrink the selection inside your subject, 3-5px
Create a new blank layer below your "subject only" layer
CMND+Delete to fill new blank layer with black, then add a drop shadow to this layer
Now create a mask for the drop shadow layer, and mask out drop shadow accordingly

Using this technique you can create as many different drop shadows with varying size and opacity, just duplicate the drop shadow layer and edit in layer styles, you can also mask each one differently. The other added benefit is that it keeps file size down as its not using image pixels, just pure black, and you can go back and edit the mask or shadow effects whenever you want.

Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 01:09 AM

Smile Re: How can I mask/erase part of a Layer style (sh

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome65 View Post
a) Go to layer blending options and click on "layer mask hides effects" and use a layer mask and paint out the offending portion of the shadow.

b) If you have a layer mask for the outline put the layer in a layer group, add a mask to the layer group and paint out the offending portion of the shadow.
Hey Thanks heaps.....option B worked brilliantly with the mask for the group, i just had to copy the outline mask again which saved me having to go carefully around the outline again. I knew there must of been an easier way.

Cheers
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 01:13 AM

Thanks also Mistermonday and MacBurg, i must try that technique next time
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM

MacBurg, I have made shadows at times with a similar method, but usually when I have a few layers that make up the outline. I typically use a shape layer, which keeps the file size smaller than if it were a regular layer, and use white with the blending mode set to multiply. This way you don't need to contract the shape any more than 1 or 2 pixels and the shadow shape won't show up.

Another way to achieve the same effect is to make the duplicate layer (no contracting needed) uncheck "Layer knocks out shadow" at the bottom of the drop shadow window and set the fill of the layer to 0 so that the layer is hidden but the shadow still shows.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 04:28 PM

Thanks Jerome, I haven't used drop shadows in a longtime, how do you create a shape layer out of a selection of your subject? Everything you've mentioned makes good sense otherwise.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 04:50 PM

You use Layer>New Fill Layer>Solid Color ... or click on the layer menu that has the adjustment layers and select Solid Color. This creates a "Vector" layer with a solid color. If you have a selection then it will apply the selection as a mask. Since the mask is an 8 bit greyscale channel it is less memory intensive than having a layer with the shape filled with white (or any other color) since the layer has all the channels of the color mode you are working in.

Using Solid Color, Gradient, or Pattern layer makes the file size smaller. In fact I have used this method with layer styles to create a poster about 20" x 40" at 300 dpi and as I recall the file size was less than 4MB (PSD) with about 10 layers of fonts, vector shapes and solid colors masked in the method described above.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-06-2009, 10:14 PM

Cool thanks for the explaination, usually when I create vector shape for any reason, I rasterize it as soon as possible and get on with editing in my rasterized world. Will keep your points in mind for the next drop shadow I have to create.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching