RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Yours ideas for retouching my photo

Old 10-15-2009, 02:25 AM

Re: Yours ideas for retouching my photo

the tutorial that Quantum3 gave you, although an ok Technic, if over done it can make your photos look like plastic Barbie dolls. and i see way to many people suggesting people to look and learn about it. After you do a your skin edits if you notice a iregularity in your Digital grain. the best thing to so is lay a grain over the skin to match your grain from your camera. this tricks the eye into not noticing the ultra smooth to ultra grainy areas. I can post some examples and go more in depth if you would like.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 02:43 AM

mjmdigital - i'll be grateful if you could give some exemples also if you could show those exemples with ans without grain?

and you mean digtal grain from PS or a grain from gray card made by camera?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 AM

The Highpass technique doesn't produces plastic effects unless is bad applyed from the first step. In fact, it only erases the high frequencies of an image. But you need a better picture to play with.
Judging by the distance you took the picture, it should be noticeable pores in her skin even by using the most cheap lens out there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crater View Post
mjmdigital - i'll be grateful if you could give some exemples also if you could show those exemples with ans without grain?

and you mean digtal grain from PS or a grain from gray card made by camera?
I would just use the noise or grain filter in Photoshop to do the transition. I will post some examples from your photo in about 10 mins from this post. the Technic is good to use when have a photo that you need to blend out the smooth edits from the natural grain of the image, or creating a "fake poor like texture to the skin" basically, its fooling the eye to think there is a natural grain to the photo like a real photo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 07:55 AM

ok mjmdigital, now i understand your technique i know it a bit but i would still like to see the effects of your work
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 08:28 AM

sorry it took me so long to get back with you, i had trouble uploading the images in chrome, had to switch to firefox.

here is a very mildly used grain example. After looking at the original photo you retouched it looks fine. So the grain is just to show how you can hide grain blowout, or over sharpening artifacts, When i original saw the image i was look at the photo that the other person did with the high pass. ( i dont like the over smooth skin look, its just a personal preference. I like my retouches to look as original to the photo as possible)

the red is the parts are what have the overal digital artifacts and digital grain, consistant with most of the photo. The Blue are the parts that look to smooth from the over all digital grain.

All i did was duplicate the photo into a new layer, hit it with some mild noise from the noise filter (Filter-noise-add noise) Then masked it with a black mask, and painted in the areas i wanted grain back again.

the image is a little compressed so it looses a little of the grain effect. but i hope you can see the overall idea. ( wish we did not have the 100k limit on posts.)

this technic is really good when you get a photo that an amiture edits them self and Gaussian blurs the entire skin on a photo.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bluered1.jpg (72.8 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg original.jpg (93.9 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg new-end1.jpg (99.4 KB, 78 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 09:18 AM

well done mjm. I will play with the photo when i will get home and i will post the results : )
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 10:09 AM

Had a free 30 mins today. here's my version of the original posted Raw file.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c9...retouchpro.jpg

Stretched her to make her legs longer, slightly slimmer. Some color correction, a little cloning and some grain/sharpening. Wont win any awards, but a good way to spend some time.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 AM

MjmDigital, the example I did with the HP looks too smooth because the original file was already retouched by Crater and wrong smoothed. I just smoothed out the blotchiness, which was the only texture on the skin, that's why it looks so smooth (I also like very sharp pores in skin retouching).

Another way to add pores is by using some skin brushes or the noise that MjmDigital says. You can add to that some bevel and emboss.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-15-2009, 06:03 PM

Crater: I had to try one of your photos. I used the original and tried to retain as much skin texture as possible. Many on this site will be pleased to know that there were no blurs involved. I hope you like it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ula-big2.jpg (86.9 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg ula-big-closeup.jpg (94.4 KB, 60 views)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching