RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Ready, Aim , Fire

Old 10-09-2009, 07:50 PM

Ready, Aim , Fire

Ok, so I know theres a website category here, but I dont know who goes to it, plus I really only ever come to this area on this site anyway, and know most of you, as Im sure you know me as well. Im usually the guy with the wise ass comments kicking the bee hive (I hope you all know its all done in jest). So to the point, heres your chance to fire back at me. For the past 4 months Ive been working on a new website, with a lot of new work. I just launched it the other day. Its about 85% there. So I am asking anyone interested to take a look and let me know what you think. be honest, I dont care if you hate it or say it sucks, Im really looking for feedback. Also would like to know what you think of the navigation, ease of use, load speed (Pics are big) etc. I am still working on tweaking it, and have a lot more stuff to add, so check back from time to time.

My thanks in advance.

http://www.garibaldiphoto.com
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 10:10 PM

Re: Ready, Aim , Fire

Looks nice and clean to me. Pics load in about 1 sec. I like the thumbnail view. Everything fits on the screen. Full Screen mode works great. Thanks for not making us click through a splash screen and having it automatically disappear. Pics are nice and large and clear.

1440x900 19"w, Firefox, Broadband cable
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-09-2009, 11:44 PM
Patron

Not to shabby for someone who uses a Phone cam!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 04:07 AM

I don't know, images are great, and I'm really liking the simplicity of the site, really helps to make images stand out. I've just gone through the same process of redesigning my site and its amazing how much you have to consider to do with layout and the way other people will view your site. Why can't I just do this? Because of this... What about this? No some people won't understand... It's an ongoing process really and I praise you for finally having an online version.

Although I appreciate the function of a rescaling image to match screen resolution, it is hard to do well, and on your site images suffer quite badly. Also I don't like all the details being below the image, the design of the site is clean, and then you have all this text crammed up against an image. It doesn't flow well with the rest of the site and the way it has been layed out.

Just my opinion really and other users will see it differently, you've probly thought about it way too much already aswell, and there is no easy solution catering for people viewing your website with smaller screen sizes, but in the end it has to be done. I was 50/50 about the whole icon/mouse changing for left-thumbnails-right sequence and decided not to use it as I feel it does get in the way of viewing images.

A lot of this depends on your main audience too and who you are striving to market your site to the most, just my thoughts after going through a simlilar 4 month process of tweaking and changing to try and get things right.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:08 AM

Hey I appreciate everyones feedback. Glad to know the site is loading ok. And yep...all shot with my camera phone lol ;-) do the images not look good on smaller monitors? THe images are sized at almost 2000 pixels wide so they scale ok on everything. Ive tested the site on a 30", 23" 17" and 15" is it not looking good on your monitor? It is tough becasue they are big, so how i save them and size them becomes even more critical, esp if i want them to load pretty quick.

its tough mac as you must know, we share the same pains im sure! i remember starting this project and being like yeah ill be done in a week or two, that was in June lol. basically I chose this design becasue I wanted it clean, fast, simple and show the images big, and get in touch with me easily
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 11:05 AM
Patron

I was "just kicking the bee hive" with the Phone cam remark.. I only know the Phone cam is your primary camera because you carry it with you all time and you told us so in your sig not because of the photos displayed... the pictures and the site look fine and scaled down very well on my baby 10" screen..
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 11:08 AM

I know I was joking, i wish my phone cam could take pics like that, would save a lot of lugging crap around hahaha thank you for taking the time to look too!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 02:02 PM

First off, loved your photos.
Shows you have lots of talent!

What I notice:

In your "about" writeup, I found the text/font to be too small AND too light for my eyes and hard to read as a result. Only one typo I saw... "out on a test drive in a customer's car after coing a minor repair"; coing should be doing.

Although it was hard to read, I enjoyed its content. The Ferrari destruction reminds me of my own experience long ago with an air cooled rear engine car I burned up because I didn't notice a red warning light come on when the fan's belt for cooling broke and I continued to drive it on the highway. The motor over heated and seized up.

Thought everything came up quick enough and flowed nicely. Counted 10 seconds at the beginning to get the photo show up and going. Nice pace to the slideshow, not too fast and not too slow for me.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 02:16 PM

thank you, got the typo, and I do know what you mean on the text, im gonna increase the font and maybe change it to black, much appreciated on teh feedback! (See there goes my typos again! hahaha)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 02:36 PM

Sadly not accessible on handys/mobiles.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching