RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

The best way to blend hairs on background change.

Old 10-10-2009, 09:27 AM

The best way to blend hairs on background change.

So, I hope, that the place is right, cosue question is from a pphotographic side... but....

What would be the best way to shot a model (I mean the color of background etc), so changing the background would be easy after all.

Afaik if a model has a black or dark hairs, one can use white (blown with 1 or 2 stops) background, then use the "multiply" blending mode to change background, and just mask to finish the effect.

But what about with blond hairs? What would be the best way to shot blondie, and then what approach to take when changing the background.

Same with semi blond (aka 50% grey in b&w), what then?

Of course I'm thinking about situation, when while shooting, I dont know, what the final background will be, so matching the background on photo is quite impossible.

Thanks for any advices.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 09:40 AM

Re: The best way to blend hairs on background chan

best way to do it is buy a background color that is green. that way it is the same color as the "green" channel in photoshop. you can double that layer and make a mask out of it. then either delete the background and fill it with another color or photo, or cut her out and paste her somewhere else.
this is the same as they do in the movies.... it is called green keying. when you watch the weather on your news station and they are pointing at the weather map, it isn't really there.... it is just left of the camera. the weather screen is either red, green or blue just like the RGB channels in photoshop

hope this helps

cheers

randy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 10:27 AM
Patron

Cyberek,
My experience with blonde hair is that it has red and green components. The best results I have found have been with a blue background. This usually gives you the greatest amount of contrast and gives you exceeptional flexibility when using Apply Image and Calculations commands to create high quality masks. Moreover if you happen to do any work in LAB color, you will automatically have a high contrast image in the B channel which contains the diametrically opposed Blues and Yellow of the image.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 02:30 PM

Randy, Murray, thanks for answer.
Beside blue/green screening (which is not always available), do You, as retouchers have a favourite methods to work with cuting blond hairs and persons from background? Do You prefer blondies on black background or white?

Ps... so that Was my 100 post
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 03:02 PM
Patron

Cyberek, congratulations on your 100th posting. You will be at 1000 in no time.
There are a number of discussions on this topic. Here is a link to one of them I recall on RP. Within that thread are links to other threads and tutorials. I personally prefer a black background if the photo is shot with proper lighting. Flyaway blonde hair is often very translucent and can provide a significant challenge to extraction against a white background.
http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/pho...stination.html
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-10-2009, 04:00 PM

Tanks Murray for this excelent link.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 10:21 AM

greenscreening isn't the end all be all. you WILL get some color spill on the edges.

If you can get a good contrast doing it, i think masking from gray background is the best way to go about it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 PM

There is a technique we use to get single hair strand accurate detail extractions from models on a background.

We do not use green or blue. Green and blue came from the old TV days and most photographers way over light them... and they become strong green or blue hair lights from behind... if you know what I mean. Black or Brunette hair isnt too bad to cut out...but blond hair is somewhat transparent or translucent and it actually "refracts" the green or blue light within its hair follicles itself... and you end up with understandable and very ugly contamination within the hair strands themselves.

We here in NYC have begun using a slate gray background to do extractions if we want absolute perfection. We also use a $139 plugin called Vertus Fluid Mask which has a gorgeous edge blending tool that actually works as hoped. As long as we dont overlight, or get highlights or shadows at the edges, or complex backgrounds at the edges of the hair...then it comes out cuting single strands of hair with no halos or fringing in just about 3 minutes with no other masking or channels or other mask build-up techniques necessary.

With other channel build up mask techniques we used to spend an hour or two only to find out we had over done the channel contrast and we had to start all over again from scratch.

Cheers,

Ray12
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 07:32 AM

Ray How do you get the grey to go more white when you are using the channels.. Or are you saying that fluid mask works better with slate light grey back grounds?
I have tried light grey but whe I go into channels it is harder to dodge and burn to get the grey white for the masks...
Do you have any other tricks to get the nice mask with light grey?
I also use KAtrina eesimans double mask with one being smaller than the other and throw the middle larger one on multilpy gives me the best results when blending to new Background...:+]
Thnaks for an further suggestions on your light grey technique...
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
I also use KAtrina eesimans double mask
Could You write some more about that technique (maybe some link)
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching