RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Michael O

Old 10-11-2009, 08:07 PM

Michael O

I think this guy is amazing. Any Gurus here know how to do something similar?
http://www.bymichaelo.com/
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-11-2009, 10:09 PM

Re: Michael O

He has some serious skills and a compelling vision. But I wish he'd keep things a little more photorealistic as I think that would help it to be more believable (I suppose that means I actually think that fantasy art should be believable). In some cases the plastic look is the intended effect, but in other cases it's working against the images.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 01:50 AM

Have you clicked the button on the site that says "Process"? Cuz it kind of shows his process, not in mad detail, but it's pretty clear what happens.

It's mostly painting by the way, so just get a brush and sample the image for color, brush a bit, sample the image again, until you've painted the whole thing, then use your imagination and paint some more stuff that wasn't there. When all that is done, just use color correction tools and some special effects and voila!

Like most photoshop stuff, the process isn't too hard, you just have to have an eye for it and some talent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 03:10 PM

Well... if you actually read his FAQ, you would have read that he actually does 90% of his work with a mouse and that it's only 10% actually digital painting. Assumption can be made his work is technical in the idea that he uses lots of adjustment layers, liquify, and curves.

look for tutorials on vexel art. He's not the only person using this hyper realistic/ smooth look. He's just the only person with that such vision.

http://browse.deviantart.com/digitalart/vexel/?order=9 here are more examples of vexel art.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-22-2009, 04:19 PM

There are plenty of people out there who are making skin look like plastic, whether intentionally or not. And there are plenty of people out there with every bit of the creative vision of Michael O. I think he's doing interesting and highly polished work (definitely worthy of respect and discussion), but there are lots of people out there who are doing incredible work. So let's not put anyone in a class by himself.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 03:29 AM

I think his stuff is superb, but like seattle-light am put off by the fact it's starting to look like art and not a photo.

At the end of the day tho, he's a retoucher not a photographer and in that field he is brilliant.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 06:21 AM

I've seen his profile on MM http://www.modelmayhem.com/198781
I've bought advanced photoshop mag once with his work in it and I think he is doing 3D
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 12:34 PM

While Michael O's work is not exactly my taste that doesn't mean he doesn't have serious talent and creative vision. Whether it's photo retouching or digital painting is an unanswerable question and will largely depend on who's looking at it. And there's absolutely no reason why it can't be a lot of both.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching