RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

There must be a better way...

Old 10-19-2009, 07:59 PM
RetouchPRO LIVE Guest Artist
Patron

Re: There must be a better way...

Topaz Detail's main claim to fame is halo-less image sharpening and HDR-type enhancement.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Lokki, what you refer to as control is unidirectional. By that I mean you can back off your HP sharpening from what you did to zero but you still have no control over the amount of sharpening - only what you sharpen (via the Radius). OK, I really should have used the term "very limited" control because you can use other Contrast Blend modes like Linear Light or Soft Light instead of Overlay. But HP is very limited. For example HP with a Radius of 5 px set to Overlay gives you the exact same result as USM at 5px, Amount=100, Threshold=0. But with USM you have a huge range available to you with the Amount and Threshold sliders.
Smart Sharpen offers you even more flexibility and control than USM.
Finally, High Pass filter is very inaccurate. If you are looking for an interesting diversion and an equivalent but more accurate alternative to HP, check out the following link:
http://www.modelmayhem.com/po.php?th...=439098&page=1
Regards, Murray
For what the OP seems to be after, there's a post by Koray in that thread dealing with Median and Surface Blur-based separations which would probably best suit the intent.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 08:37 PM

I do selective sharpening using the smart sharpen tool in Photoshop. If I keep the radius down low at 1 or 2 pixels...then I dont get edging or halos very strong.

My best tip is to add a black mask to the sharpen layer and to paint with a white brush exactly and only where you want sharpening...and NOT everywhere in the image. Selective sharpening like this allows me to sharpen the eyes and the hair but NOT other places where the noise or halo would show up. Sometimes I even use several different kinds of radiuses of sharpening in the same image...for different problems...and since the sharpening is controlled and selective and exactly where I want it...and how much I want it...then I can always control the sharpening process exactly as I want. If it doesnt look good or right, I switch to the black brush to fix it.

Cheers,

Ray12

Last edited by ray12; 10-20-2009 at 10:08 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 09:24 PM

Is it the chomatic aberation of the lens/camera and the sharpening is just enhancing the problem? I found this on one seach:
http://digital-photography-school.co...n-in-photoshop

Is this a reason some by products like DXO optics software?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Im not sure if his problem is chromatic aberration... or a grease kind of smear on the back of side of the optics. It certainly is a big flare, smoothing, edging problem.

BTW, I Love DXO Optics Software. It takes my specific lens...and my specific camera...and it figures out where those purple chromatic edges are on the edges of my images...and it corrects them out...literally it takes them away.

It also gets rid of the visual distortion and curves in my lens and makes crooked lines straight again...by figuring out how much my lens distorts the image originally.

Here is a link to the fringing problem that DXO corrects in lenses:
http://www.dxo.com/us/photo/dxo_opti...ons/aberration

The Original poster has posted a sample picture ...but I cant seem to figure out how much magnification was used on that sample...or where in the frame the sample was from. The halos in his image seem to be huge. I wonder if it was a 200% crop or something? I have rarely seen halos that big before... and so severe. I usually only have the smaller halos caused by over sharpening that I can control by selective sharpening to avoid halos and edge ringing. This example seems like a poor camera, poor optics, and a severe smudge on the lens to boot.

Last edited by ray12; 10-20-2009 at 10:10 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 07:12 AM

The pic was a crop and blow up...I will post the original when I return home Friday.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 09:36 PM

Enclosed is the original...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10235_310925wed.jpg (62.7 KB, 28 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 10:02 PM

Oh My Gosh...no wonder it looks so poor!!! This problem is a terribly small portion of the image. You would have to blow the image up 300% to even see the halo problem. The camera is not looking like it is a great one...especially with that blur and soft focus all across the top half of the image.

Im not criticizing you...but just the particular image. It may be that the rain has had some effect on the lens. The halo in your earlier shot looked like It was caused by some kind of smearing of vasseline, grease, or a finger print or hand oil across the lens...now I see its raining in the picture! Could be an effect of condensation possibly.

It could be that some moisture got inside the lens area and caused some slight fog in your picture area... and an out of focus condition in other parts of the picture.

Could one of your guests have privately wiped the rain off the lens with a napkin... or their fingers possibly...that would be a possible cause for your halo flare. It could be that the aberration in your image is rain or smear related. Just noticed one other thing. Most chromatic aberration in a lens looks purple and is at the corners of the frame...this halo is yellowish/red/orange, its almost like some kind of registration issue the way the halo precisely mirrors and hugs the shape of the heads. This is a toughie. Just my 2 cents.

Cheers

Last edited by ray12; 10-21-2009 at 08:09 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM

This was taken with a canon 40D and a 24/70Lf2.8 at 400 ISO. I put the blur on the top half of the photo...personal taste. I find the pics made with the 40D are soft and I often need to sharpen using the method mentioned in the first post. However, as mentioned, I've noticed the halo after the fact as I zoom in to the details. If I blow a pic up to 16x20 I can often see the halo (other don't notice) and I was wondering how best to avoid.

And yes..it may be the camera

Last edited by skydog; 10-20-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-21-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
This was taken with a canon 40D and a 24/70Lf2.8 at 400 ISO. I put the blur on the top half of the photo...personal taste. I find the pics made with the 40D are soft and I often need to sharpen using the method mentioned in the first post. However, as mentioned, I've noticed the halo after the fact as I zoom in to the details. If I blow a pic up to 16x20 I can often see the halo (other don't notice) and I was wondering how best to avoid.

And yes..it may be the camera
Do you have the RAW file which you could put up for better investigation, or an unedited 100% crop of the problem area at least such that folks can tease out whether it's a camera or RT technique issue?
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching