RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Saving For Web

Old 02-23-2010, 12:09 PM

Re: Saving For Web

I am having a hard time understanding the math. If Facebook resizes it anyway then even if I resize my picture to 60kb will it not resize it even more?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 12:46 PM

That is a matter of understanding how Jpeg compression works. If i have a 60kb image and open it in photoshop, it will not be 60Kb anymore, because photoshop took a picture of it and took the artifacts as part of the original photo. Jpeg compression is only applied during saving. It's lossy permanent compression. Jpegs are not containers. An image processor doesn't know how far a JPEG has been compressed at the moment it reads it, it just reads it, and that's what facebook does.

I don't know the exact number, but let's put it this way. Whatever you upload to facebook, the upload applet will read and compress. Try yourself: upload a fully compressed 6kb jpeg. Later, if you download it from facebook it will be larger.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 03:50 PM

Ahh I'm still a little confused but I THINK I get what you're saying. But to cut to the chase, you're saying to upload to Facebook, it's better to upload an already compressed Jpeg?
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM

No i was saying that facebook is the last example to use as a reason why not to use 100% quality in JPEG when saving for web.

JPEG is a web format. That's all it is, period. When you are compressing for web: 1. Dimensions matter. 2.Size matters.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2010, 04:21 PM

the best you can do with PS.
Image>ImageSize>leave all the boxes checked>in a Top Box set your the longest size you want to post>bottom Menu>select Bicubic Sharpen
this way you keep the Resolution and fly away hair.
file size is seen at the top of the open window.
Save AS>Jpeg 12
if your starting with a low resolution photo - add some sharpening

there are other programs one can use on the web to get a better image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2010, 06:39 PM

Me_wwwing, that is not totally correct. If you retouched a photo that was a RAW file and converted through lightroom, chances are it's profile is set to prophotoRGB. If you converted with acr, it might be adobeRGB. When you "save as", you are not changing the profile of the image to sRGB and it will not show properly on browsers and most of the image viewers that most people will use.

That's why we use the save for web command, wich allows to compress (visually checking for artifacts) and convert to sRGB all in one step... for web. I know it also resizes, but for some reason the resampler doesn't work.

Also, saving a JPEG at 12 quality value makes the whole JPEG usage pointless, as JPEGs are supposed to be small. When you need a big file with lossless compression, you use TIFF. When you use Jpeg it's because you need a small file that is easy to send, upload or post. A 21Mp image saved at full size and full jpeg quality will stay at about 8Mb, not good for web at all. And by compressing it to say 50% jpeg, it's filesize will change to around 2Mb ish, which is a more acceptable websize.

Last edited by flexmanta; 02-24-2010 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 02-24-2010, 07:23 PM

Ok - got it

never used LR.

thanks
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching