Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Motion Blur

Old 10-22-2009, 06:45 PM
Motion Blur

I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a tutorial etc.
explaining how to best cleanup motion blur in action photos.
I did a search but couldn't find specific information.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-25-2009, 11:48 PM
Re: Motion Blur

you mean like clean it up in terms of getting rid of it? Like your shutter speed r strobe duration was too slow and you have an amount of trace blur? good luck with that. Cleaning that up can be tedious to make it look right. You can clone and mask the areas of blur but the issue is this, the blur will contain a mix of color and luminosity from both the background as well as the subject. The other issue is that you will need to define a new edge most likely and that can be a challenge to build. Probably the best method or "tutorial" for dealing with that tye of issue, and im not trying to be a wise ass, is to make sure to have better control over the images as your are taking them. I found that trying to clean up some shots that I had introduced blur into by accident or improper settings, only to finally say fuck it....led me to be sure that next time I was in that situation to make sure I wasnt going to have to deal with that ever again and adjust accordingly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Re: Motion Blur

Originally Posted by wyofizz View Post
I'm new to the forum and I'm looking for a tutorial etc.
explaining how to best cleanup motion blur in action photos.
I did a search but couldn't find specific information.
There's a great photoshop plug-in that will actually increase your original shutter speed in post-production..... it's called "Reshoot 2.6"

Ok that was a joke..... sorry I couldn't resist.

But seriously though, the best way would be to do a reshoot. Hopefully this is possible. Otherwise I would try to sell this to your client as a cool and unique trait that you don't often see in everyone else's action photos and you were "experimenting" with that and trying to "bring something new to the table."

The best tip I got on this:
When shooting drop out white, it's often done with the model standing on white plexi-glass (it reflects blownout background but leaves a reflection of the model on the reflective plexi-glass.) I asked a photographer what he does if the art director says something about the reflection in the plexi (this is in a fashion catalog context where if the art director wants the reflection removed you'd have to do it to 100's of photos,) he said that if they ask about it you quickly get really excited and say "YEAH I know! Isn't that the coolest thing!?!?!?" He said that they almost always end up coming around and saying something like "yeah I really kind of like that reflection thing now that I think about it."
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching