RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What is the difference between dodge vs lighten

Old 10-23-2009, 04:18 PM

Question What is the difference between dodge vs lighten

I am using photoshop CS4.
Using the old trick of contouring a woman face by highlighting the cheekbones and darkening under them/the lower sides of the face.
Always wondered which looks more realistic- dodgeing/burning vs lightening and darkening.

To make things even more complicated, I am now using curve adjustment layers, rather then using the above single tools.
What axis do I adjust to get the above affects?
Thank you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-23-2009, 08:25 PM
Patron

Re: What is the difference between dodge vs lighte

Fairy, dodge and lighten are the same. Burn and darken are also the same.
If you are now going to use Curves adjustemnt layers to D&B (L&D), there is a sample of each curve attached. Typically you would click on the center point and raise it for a Dodging curve and do the opposite for a Burning curve.
Regards, Murray
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot Lighten.jpg (68.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot Darken.jpg (66.1 KB, 20 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:50 PM

Quite often I also add a step, simply to limit the adjustments. Once the curves adj. layer is open, ctrl-click a lighter area of the face, then ctrl-click a darker area of the face. The two points should show up on the curve. Now you know where those points are and they are locked until you move one or the other. Hence, you are not adjusting such a wide expanse of pixels. You eventually get a feel for where to pick those two points so as to tweak the adjustments right where you want them. You can do the same for any part of an image.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 05:25 PM

Thank you Tommy, I feel so silly now, I've been wondering for years. Thing is I noticed when I was using paint shop pro that there was both a lighten/darken tool, and a dodge/burn tool, I just don't get why they had 2 tools that did exactly the same thing?

I have been playing around and noticed that you can also lighten the image with curves by going to the left instead of up? And to the right instead of down?
But by looking at the extremes, the effects whether I edit on the x axis or y axis are different. I'm just not sure how/which one is best?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Fairy,
You probably are already aware, but worth mentioning for any of the newbies....

Another way to provide even a little more control is.... working with the layer mask. Invert the white mask, making it black (click it once, then press Ctrl-I). Then you can paint on the mask with a soft low opacity white brush to bring out the curves adjustments where you want them. This allows the use of wider brushes as well, making the process a bit faster.

Another is doing somewhat traditional dodging & burning on a neutral layer. To add a neutral layer, add a new empty layer, but hold Alt while doing so. Click the drop down and select Soft Light, then click the box for "fill with Soft Light neutral color (50% gray)". You now have a neutral layer that can be lightly dabbed with either white or black brushes to dodge or burn respectively. Usually work with a very low opacity brush, like 5%. Toggle white/black by simply pressing the "X" key. Best when you have a Wacom tablet or similar.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching