RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What could be the best tablet ??

Old 10-24-2009, 12:11 AM

What could be the best tablet ??

I have retouching without a tablet. And I feel so behind!!!
I want to buy one that is good quality and maybe not super expensive
Any recommendations??? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 03:45 AM

Re: What could be the best tablet ??

I started with the Bambbo.

Its ok, good for starting out and not spending much money.

I still use it, but im saving up for the intuos 4.

But if you really need somthing cheap, the medium bambbo will work for you.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 10:26 AM

Great I will check them!!! thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 AM

Now that the Intuos 4 tablets are out, the price on the Intuos 3 has come down and is an excellent deal ($200 for the 6x8).
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-Intuos3-.../dp/B00030097G

The Intuos 3 is a simpler tablet than the Intuos 4 but is great to use, is twice as sensitive as the Bamboo, and would be a tablet you could use for years without feeling a need to upgrade. If you wanted a smaller tablet than the 6x8, refurbished 4x6 tablets are available for $100.
http://www.amazon.com/Wacom-UPTZ431W.../dp/B001NANLOI
Some people like the smaller tablets, but in many case the larger tablets are easier to work on.

The Intuos 4 is even more sensitive and is more user-friendly, but at a considerably higher price. Still well worth the money though. The Intuos 4 lets you program buttons on the tablet that will enable you to work without having to be near the computer keyboard all the time.

Wacom tablets are the only way to go. I've tested some cheaper tablets, they were a joke. You get what you pay for.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 11:56 AM

You can try Genius Tablets too. They are way way cheaper.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM

I use Intuos 3 for almost 2 years. It's awesome!
stereokatt, Intuos 4 is bigger than Intuos 3. Don't you feel your hand getting tired after using it for a long time?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 11:59 AM

i use the wacon intuos 4, large size, at work. i love the size, the bigger one can get tiresome, but is better than the smaller ones...and the small is def out of the question with a 2 monitor setup.

might be worth it to just invest in the intuos over the bamboo.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anka View Post
I use Intuos 3 for almost 2 years. It's awesome!
stereokatt, Intuos 4 is bigger than Intuos 3. Don't you feel your hand getting tired after using it for a long time?
The Intuos 4 Medium is approximately the same size as the Intuos 3 6x8, and feels almost exactly the same to use. The 4 is a bit thinner than the 3, and the programmable keys on the 4 make it much more user-friendly. I started out using an Intuos 2 years ago, then used a 3 for several years, and now have the 4. As I was using the 2 and 3 I was always making a mental list of changes I'd like to see made to make the tablet more user-friendly. The Intuos 4 has all of those changes and more, it's a very well thought out re-design. Wacoms cost a bit more than other tablets but you're paying for quality and getting it. A cheap tablet is a cheap tablet. For someone who uses a tablet only rarely or doesn't demand much from it, the cheaper tablets are fine, but for someone who needs to get work out efficiently there's no better than Wacom.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Which would recommend? The Intuos3 or the Bamboo Fun? This would be my first tablet, but I would like to get one that I won't out grow right away. Thanks!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-24-2009, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andymay View Post
Which would recommend? The Intuos3 or the Bamboo Fun? This would be my first tablet, but I would like to get one that I won't out grow right away. Thanks!
That would sort of depend on what you'd be using a tablet for. If you're going to be doing some serious photo work or artwork, then without question I think the Intuos 3 6x8 would be the one to get. If the tablet would be used as more of a novelty or simply as a mouse replacement then the Bamboo Fun would be the one to get. Buying a higher quality tablet now would mean that later you wouldn't feel the need to buy another tablet once your skills have improved. Quality tools hold their value and actually save money by not having to be replaced, plus they allow you to do what you want without the limitations a lower quality tool impose. If you're planning on efficiently doing photo retouching/restoration, I think that you'd be much happier and more satisfied with the Intuos 3 than the Bamboo. You certainly wouldn't need to be concerned about outgrowing it, it would serve you well for many years.

Last edited by stereokatt; 10-24-2009 at 11:16 PM.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching