RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help with identifying retouching tools

Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 AM

Help with identifying retouching tools

Hello! I'm a new member, but I've been Photoshop since Photoshop 6 was new.

I'm not an expert at retouching photos... most of my experience is in web design but I've practiced a lot and can usually fix most any problem in a picture.

However, I recently saw the famous Dove "Evolution" video, (I can't imagine that many people here have missed it, but if you haven't seen it yet, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U )and there are some tools that I'm seeing used, that I cannot find in Photoshop (CS3) for the life of me.

I'm specifically interested in the tools where the move her head up to elongate the neck, as well as the tool that is used to reshape the shoulder/neckline. I've watched the video over and over, but it's too quick and grainy for me to see.

I thought it was some variation of the marquee tool, but every time I try to use it, it obviously makes a "cut out" with white space when I warp it.

Is it a certain technique with multiple layers or a tool?

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 04:40 AM

Re: Help with identifying retouching tools

Ive seen it, and I dont know what they personally have done, but here is what I would do-

With the ruler, drag down a guide from the lower part of her neck. Then use the lasso or marque to go around the area you want to move, press ctrl + J (PC) to make a new layer from that selection.

Then Ctrl and Click to move the head up to where you think looks nice. You will see the bottom half of her neck is now misplaced.

So select from her neck back down with marquee or lasso, make sure you get all parts of the layer, and press Ctrl + J, then press Ctrl T to transform, and drag the neck back to your guide. The transforming edge should snap back to your guide, nice and neatly and leave no trace.

This can also work for lengthening legs.

They probably also used Liquify, found under the Filters menu. Was that available in PS 6? I cant remember.

Liquify is an awwwwwwsome tool that allows you to click and drag groups of pixels, very useful in slimming waists

I think they also gave her an eye lift (in the dove commercial) using liquify.

Weezy
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykristoffer View Post
Hello! I'm a new member, but I've been Photoshop since Photoshop 6 was new.

I'm not an expert at retouching photos... most of my experience is in web design but I've practiced a lot and can usually fix most any problem in a picture.

However, I recently saw the famous Dove "Evolution" video, (I can't imagine that many people here have missed it, but if you haven't seen it yet, you can watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYhCn0jf46U )and there are some tools that I'm seeing used, that I cannot find in Photoshop (CS3) for the life of me.

I'm specifically interested in the tools where the move her head up to elongate the neck, as well as the tool that is used to reshape the shoulder/neckline. I've watched the video over and over, but it's too quick and grainy for me to see.

I thought it was some variation of the marquee tool, but every time I try to use it, it obviously makes a "cut out" with white space when I warp it.

Is it a certain technique with multiple layers or a tool?

Thanks for your help!
This is actually a very interesting question. And I find the answer to be extremely hilarious and ironic.

What they actually did was - they had a professional retoucher that worked on the project that would send them lots of screenshots of all the different stages of the retouching process leading up to the final (the actual image was made with Adobe Photoshop through lots and lots of hard work.) They then created/designed a "fake photoshop" for the commercial spot, they built all the menus and toolbars from scratch and animated it in a way that looked made it look like a legit editing program. It might seem like they were actually doing selections and liquifying stuff but it was just animation based on those screenshots of the different retouching stages that they made the animations look similar to marque tools etc and just had it look like they where doing things (the fake program didn't really do anything)..... this makes it all look very simple and easy when it was actually a really tedious process in "actual" photoshop. Believe me, I wish it was as easy as they made it seem.

I'd like to go ahead and label this dove campaign as "false advertising" of "false advertising" But really, advertising is all a huge illusion. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that Dove is taking a positive attitude on beauty (they do a lot to help,) but they are well aware of the amount of money they are making by doing it that way.

It's just hilarious to me that they spent a lot of effort making a fake photoshop program while having the message of trying to expose how fake the advertising world is.

All this stuff reminds me, did you know that they actually don't use real cows in movies ever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2y7on8WKjY
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 06:49 AM

wow, I think you are dead right Andrew, its all a bit too fast for it to be actual photoshop, even though I know its sped up. Very Interesting.

What is also funny is the Little amount of photoshop done to her. I do a bit of work that ends up in fashion mags, and the amount we do is loads more than this. She just had her neck stretched, her eyes bigger, and lost a bit of weight in the face.... The bog basics really.

If people are up in arms about the amount done to this, and that peoples view of True Beauty is warped, they have no freakin idea!!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weezy View Post
wow, I think you are dead right Andrew, its all a bit too fast for it to be actual photoshop, even though I know its sped up. Very Interesting.

What is also funny is the Little amount of photoshop done to her. I do a bit of work that ends up in fashion mags, and the amount we do is loads more than this. She just had her neck stretched, her eyes bigger, and lost a bit of weight in the face.... The bog basics really.

If people are up in arms about the amount done to this, and that peoples view of True Beauty is warped, they have no freakin idea!!!
I'd actually say that this is a pretty drastic change. I feel that liquifying anything to that extreme is not considered a little amount of photoshop (usually you find a model that already has a long neck/etc and you don't need go to that extreme in postproduction.) They don't illustrate any type of skin work, color changes, or switching body parts out (which can take longer than liquifying.) But I usually regard liquifying and changing the overall structure of the face as a drastic change.

The normal person watching this will get the impression that this stuff is really easy as long as you have the software (select this here, click and drag this here, done.)

No doubt every image you'll see has gone through a photoshop retouching stage.... but I think some people are being mislead that that means everything gets a major overhaul and resembles nothing close to the original which isn't true for everything.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 04:53 PM

Wow! Interesting insights!

Thanks to the both you. I knew that the program elements were completely false in the video, but I never thought that the actual work being done could be equally as manufactured as the "beauty" lol. I had (naively) assumed that the functions they used were real.

I also find it telling that the model was actually actually very pretty (in my opinion) in the first place, even though the transformation was dramatic.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-26-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troykristoffer View Post
Wow! Interesting insights!

Thanks to the both you. I knew that the program elements were completely false in the video, but I never thought that the actual work being done could be equally as manufactured as the "beauty" lol. I had (naively) assumed that the functions they used were real.

I also find it telling that the model was actually actually very pretty (in my opinion) in the first place, even though the transformation was dramatic.
Many of the models I've seen don't look that much different than anyone else... they often look completely different after they get out of hair and makeup and are in front of the camera.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching