RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Your most interesting personal trick.

Old 10-26-2009, 03:54 AM

Your most interesting personal trick.

Anyone out there have any favorite tricks they like?
Doesn't necessarily have to be your own.

Sometimes when I have free time I'll get a 6 pack and go crazy in photoshop doing things I've never tried before and just playing around with stuff I've never touched before. A lot of times this has lead to some great discoveries that I use now.

Last edited by Andrew Lawrence; 11-06-2009 at 04:49 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 12:32 AM

Re: Your most interesting personal trick.

If you share yours, probably more people would be interested in this post.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Lawrence View Post
Anyone out there have any favorite tricks they like?
Doesn't necessarily have to be your own.

Sometimes when I have free time I'll get a 6 pack and go crazy in photoshop doing things I've never tried before and just playing around with stuff I've never touched before. A lot of times this has lead to some great discoveries that I use now.

I also know a photographer that likes his photos a little on the warmer side. But when he's done shooting, the photos fall into the hands of retouchers who take a white balance reading off the grey square on a color checker chart he shot and then they apply that white balance to all of the photos getting a neutral color (much cooler than he prefers.) He was not liking how his photos were looking when he saw them in the ads. So what he does now is shoot the Gretag MacBeth Color Checker with a tungsten filter on his lens, then takes off the tungsten filter for the rest of the shoot. So when they take the reading and apply it, the color checker photo comes out neutral, but the rest of the the shoot gets the amount of warming he prefers because it's over correcting for the filter. (He actually shoots different color checker chart shots with different strength tungsten filters and decides later which one gives the best effect and then trashes all of the other reference photos.)

I thought this was genius way to have some control over something that's out of your hands.

I have to say , and no disrespect to at all to the photographer, but that is the most backward, self deprecating way of getting the color you desire in a final image.

Why not just tell the retouchers not to muddle with colors? or else get their printer profile and convert the image to the printer's profile and tell them the color is already close.

Also if you were to use that method wouldn't it be preferable to first shoot the MacBeth card with a blue filter on the lens thus cooling the first shot to "trick" the retouchers into warming up the remaining shots.

But anyway I hate to sidetrack the start of a possibly quite interesting thread.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
If you share yours, probably more people would be interested in this post.
Sorry , I meant this to as broad or as specific as people wanted to make it. But I realize now that saying that I sometimes throw a few cold ones back and "experiment" with photoshop is a pretty weak tip.

So let me be more specific: Lately, the thing that I've been very interested in that I haven't seen much talk of, is using copies of my RAW files as smart objects for dodging and burning to simulate direct sun when it's not actually there. I've had successful results in contouring landscapes that were shot in an overcast setting to fake direct sunlight. I do a smart object via copy for the RAW file then bring it back into ACR and up the exposure and add warmth in the temperature, then I mask the areas that I want to look like sun is hitting.... then I do another smart object via copy and bring it back into ACR and lower the exposure etc. and add some coolness in the temperature (mimicking shadows that will have more blue because of a blue sky and lack of direct sun) and then I mask in the areas that I want to be in shadow. I've found that doing this with smart objects as opposed to working strictly within photoshop without the help of ACR works out much better and gives you lots of control. This method will unfortunately give you near unbearable file sizes if you take it to the extreme.

I've included a before and after that was all done with ARC, smart objects, and masking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B4.jpg (77.7 KB, 127 views)
File Type: jpg AFTer.jpg (64.6 KB, 134 views)

Last edited by Andrew Lawrence; 10-27-2009 at 03:03 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Tom View Post
But anyway I hate to sidetrack the start of a possibly quite interesting thread.
Don't worry, I don't think it was a sidetrack at all, it's just as important to discus how and why the techniques were used.

Last edited by Andrew Lawrence; 11-06-2009 at 04:50 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-27-2009, 10:19 AM

Yes, I know that technique of opening RAWs as smart object and so. Calvin Hollywood explained it in his youtube channel but for other purposses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vr12ZfPK2co
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching