RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What's the best way to add gloss to lips?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:11 PM

Re: What's the best way to add gloss to lips?

i dont know how far you need to go with the glossy feel....but this is a great image to reference if you're going to hand paint your glossy highlights in like i did.

http://ultraorange.net/media/2007/12...ps-to-kiss.jpg
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 05:32 PM

Unfortunately seeing images and vague descriptions of the process doesn't help me. I'm a photographer more than a Photoshop guru so I can't really look at an image and translate that into a procedure to derive that effect.

I need something with more substance.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM

ahh, sorry, didn't know you were a photog!

there is a solution....hire a retoucher
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM

LOL, not really a good solution. I'm very good at retouching. This is just a technique that I'd like to add. Just need some direction. I have no problem working in Photoshop. I'm fairly proficient, and I use a Wacom tablet, but looking at an image and translating that into a procedure to achieve that look is a bit too abstract for me.

I just need some direction that isn't so vague.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 08:01 PM

are you trying to make them wet, or just add a little bit of shimmer?

--if you want the wet look, you have to paint in a highlight of some sort, only way.

--if you wanna add maybe a little bit of shimmer...try masking the lips and add a curve to pump up the contrast a bit. then go into your channels, or calculations, or selective color or any other way you know how to make a detailerd mask...and get a mask of the lip detail, like the cracks, or light areas and make a curve that brightens those areas a lot to add shimmer.

just remember each image is different and there is no one tutorial that will work every time....sure you can try stuff like plastic wrap filter or whatever it's called, but that stuff looks terrible!!

trust me, just try and paint some specs in on the lips...it's easier than it sounds. get the right results you are searching for and don't settle for ridiculous glamour tutorials.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-28-2009, 10:20 PM
Patron

Well shucks.. I guess to suggest trying a quick fix using Filter Forge Plasticwrap (which has good controls for the reflections, lighting and surface height ) would not be very professional then... But, I will show a sample anyway.

I also agree that Painting the specular highlights on the rounded or projecting parts of the lips works best, But takes a small amount of artistic skill

Study magazine covers or other portraits to get a better idea of how it should look.

Copy that look by doing the following:

Create a blank layer on top of everything.

Use a white soft brush and paint in a few highlights at a low flow, maybe 10% or less on the bottom lip. Paint a continuous or discontinuous thin to med-thick line, following the contour of the lower lip across the fat portion (meaning where the lip sticks out farthest from the body, and put it where the light would reflect normally), maybe 30% of the length of the lip and also create a white line on the skin above the center lip dip.

Go to filter>blur>Gaussian blur and try different degrees of blur to de-harshen the highlight and adjust this layers opacity so it looks real.

OR

To make them POP:
On a new Soft Light layer Paint the lips BLACK.. reduce opacity a bit to taste and use the dodge tool on the original lips on the highlights to make them brighter if you want

This is the Filter Forge sample.. wait a couple seconds after clicking the thumb and the image should change
Attached Images
File Type: gif gloss.gif (150.1 KB, 142 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 11:22 AM

I'm having a small amount of success painting in highlights but it's appearing as highlights and not gloss.

I guess the 'wet' appearance is more appropriate. The gloss effect I want is not just bringing out highlights or creating greater specularity. It's an overall gloss as if the model were wearing lip gloss.

When a model has lip gloss on it creates a real wet shine on the entire lip and not just the existing highlights that represent the light source and directionality.

Any of the plastic wrap examples or tutorials I've seen are very bad.

I understand that part of this will rely on my own artistic ability but if I have tools and techniques that others use for this effect then I can try to replicate the effect knowing I have the right tools.

The tips given for accents in the highlights work and I can practice those. Now I just need the wet look.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 AM

Try using bevel and emboss or sattin. I just see that glossy lips are quite similar to glossy web buttons (that's why some glossy style may work). In fact, the glossiness always behaves the same. It reflects the light and that reflection is distorted by the geometry where the glossiness is being reflected. I think it's more related to illustration than anything else. This is when I think why PS doesn¡'t have something like 3D apps. It's much, much easier creating materials in any 3D app than in Photoshop.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 01:11 PM
Patron

Just watched "Photoshop Mama Lip Gloss Optimizer Parts 1,2,3"
Very instructive and easy to follow if you know your tools.. Watch them, you will like them!

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 10-29-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 08:10 PM

I know it's tough, but you're going to have to train your eye to analyze and imitate lighting and texture that you see in another photo. Attached are some wet lips from google.

How does this image look different from your attempt? What is it that makes it look wet? To me, it looks like the secret isn't boosting the existing highlight - it's rendering the reflections/refraction.

The most obvious is of the ring light. Notice how it's distorted and appears in different places. Why did the reflections show up in those spots and not the others? It's because if you drew the path of the photons from the ring light to her lip, those are the spots that would reflect the photons to the camera. I hope you're good with visualizing angles. Notice also the subtle reflections of her teeth. You'll have to paint the reflections based on the lighting/scene in front of your model.

Because wet surfaces refract light, the photons are bounced and refracted all over her lips, filling in shadows and reducing the overall contrast of the underlying lip.

Good luck, and observe observe observe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2652155852_4650ba5466_o.jpg (33.6 KB, 87 views)

Last edited by mikedimples; 10-29-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: clarity
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching