RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

What's the best way to add gloss to lips?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:23 PM

Re: What's the best way to add gloss to lips?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedimples View Post
I know it's tough, but you're going to have to train your eye to analyze and imitate lighting and texture that you see in another photo. Attached are some wet lips from google.

How does this image look different from your attempt? What is it that makes it look wet? To me, it looks like the secret isn't boosting the existing highlight. In fact, the lips look flat except for the reflections.

The most obvious is of the ring light. Notice how it's distorted and appears in different places. Why did the reflections show up in those spots and not the others? It's because if you drew the path of the photons from the ring light to her lip, those are the spots that would reflect the photons to the camera. I hope you're good with visualizing angles. Notice also the subtle reflections of her teeth. You'll have to paint the reflections based on the lighting/scene in front of your model.

Because wet surfaces refract light, the photons are bounced and refracted all over her lips, filling in shadows and reducing the overall contrast of the underlying lip.

Good luck, and observe observe observe.
Wow, your writing was poetry.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 PM

Well.. I was thinking what about using styles and I did a try. Not the best thing, but quite close I think. I just downloaded an style that represents the glossiness and teaked intuitively in PS, anyway...

Stock: http://KW-stock.deviantart.com/art/Mouth-IX-83515946
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mouth_IX_by_KW_stock.jpg (57.9 KB, 57 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 02:22 AM
Patron

I always thought the photographer had the lips applied with a super gloss that is so wet and fragile that the model can't even move her lips till after the shoot.. an excellent MUA and patient models would be a good find in that respect..

Good luck in your quest to find a post shoot way to achieve your goal of having smooth glossy lips in Photoshop

For some of the others out there
Doing lips that already have some highlights (I use PS-7)

If the lips already have some highlight areas
Make a loose selection of the lips
Ctrl+J to put the lips on their own layer

To darken lips
new blank softlight layer above lips, paint lips black, adjust opacity (20-50%)
merge down

for highlights
Image>Adjustments>Change Color... select a highlight within the lips with eyedropper, click the add eyedropper and select another highlight area on the upper lip if available
Adjust Fuzziness slider till highlights are predominant then adjust the lightness slider to lighten the highlights
click OK when the highlights on the lips look OK
Hold the Alt key and click the add Layer mask Icon (square with circle in it) to get a hide all mask on the lip layer
Paint white with a soft brush where you want wet looking lips (Paint with black to hide)
Adjust Opacity, Change Modes or click lip Icon and sharpen or blur till you like what you see.. its all subjective!

Sorry if I am using your thread for my own practice cubed.. hope you don't mind..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lips_Practice.jpg (197.3 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by 0lBaldy; 10-30-2009 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Changed Vector Mask to Layer mask
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 10:16 AM

here's a set of lips that I previously did the glossy wet looks to, this dates back almost 2 years, maybe I would have done it a little differently now, but in the end it's the effect that was achieved. can it be done better, i'm sure it can, but that's what i had to offer at the time.

-anyway, all hand painted highlights and shadows... basically just studying image references and SEEING what the difference between wet glossy texture looked like in real life and what standard lipstick texture looked like, and manipulating the lighting and texture. D&B and painted highlights was the key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lips_before.jpg (98.1 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg lips_after.jpg (96.2 KB, 92 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 10:50 AM

just curious, baldy. why a vector mask?
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 AM

Not that I'm good at this kind of thing (illustration) but one thing I find helpful when I attempt the type of copying KR1156 is describing is to have a few examples I'm copying from open on a second monitor and one primary example image (in this case an isolated set of lips) that I bring into my image on it's own layer, and I position it very close to what I'm working onso that one's eyes don't have to move far at all to copy. You can even sample tones from the image you are copying.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 AM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashtones View Post
just curious, baldy. why a vector mask?
You R right ..I changed it to Layer Mask

When I checked to see what Adobe called the mask icon I already had a mask on the layer and Vector was what popped up (I wanted to use the propper nomenclature and screwed up anyway!)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 11:14 AM

I really want to thank everyone for the help. It seems that the general consensus is that I need to study images and learn to mimic what I see based on directionality of light, using highlights and shadows to create the effect. I wish I were more of an artist and Photoshop guru because I'm sure it would be easier.

I've tried some of the suggestions with poor results because my ability to draw is not all that great.

The last set of samples from KR1156 will be a great help to me because that's the exact effect I want and a before and after are provided. I've layered them in Photoshop and can now study them and toggle to compare with them overlapped instead of left to right.

I guess I just need to struggle a bit and practice. Hopefully that will get me there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 12:38 PM

It really helps the illusion if you exfoliate (smooth) the lips first
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lips-copy.jpg (90.8 KB, 75 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 12:40 PM

Thanks. I'll try that as well.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching