Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

XMP Files

Old 10-29-2009, 08:40 AM
XMP Files

I have a DVD with camera RAW images. I have been working off of that disk, instead of putting them on my hard drive first. Because of this, i am not getting any XMP files. If i work from the harddrive it will put the XMP files right in the folder i am saving my images to. However, since i am working from a disk, when i save the processed images to the working folder, there are no XMP files. Could they be elsewhere? if so, where?
I am using CS3 straight from photoshop, no bridge or other programs
thank you
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 PM
Re: XMP Files

Sorry, but I don't have much experience using DVD's as a virtual drive. At first I would think it would not work, as DVD's don't write immediately, but rather write after reformatting the data. But, I guess a few more questions need answering.

What software are you using to turn the DVD into a virtual drive?
What computer OS are you using? (MAC or Windows, and which version of either)
Do you see the image adjustments come up later in Bridge or ACR? ... as if they're being saved somewhere else. Or, are the images reverting to their original state.

I suppose the workaround would be to work in Adobe's DNG format.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-29-2009, 10:27 PM

Lightroom doesn't generates the XMP Files by default, there is an option inside the configurations that must be checked in order to get the XMP Files. I odn't know what about Camera RAW, but probably the same thing. However, if you are getting the XMP, they're always virtually attached with the RAW you've edited. Meaning that you can load the XMP file whatever it's located in your HD or DVD or any other similar thing but this way, you have to load the XMP manually.

In your very particular case, Camera RAW maybe is not generating the XMP Files because the RAWs are being red from the DVD.

Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote top
Old 10-30-2009, 01:49 PM

If you use Bridge you can add meta data and other xmp data to removable media and it recognises it next time you load it (or so I've been told). The other solution is to convert the RAW to DNG which as well as being smaller contained the xmp data in the file. Bit I don't think that solves you problem as to where the xmp data files that it generates while working form the DVD are put. My guess is it in a temporary folder… you could do a search for 'created on' 'today'…
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching