RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Critique Please: Beauty Retouch!

Old 11-09-2009, 01:10 PM

Critique Please: Beauty Retouch!

I'm working on my third retouch and it would be great if I could get some feedback on this image. I tried to keep it fairly "natural" in its look and tried desperately not to go overboard. Much to my surprise, the skin's pores are pretty much all there. Any constructive feedback would be really appreciated. Thank you.

PS: I have some specific questions about the retouching of this image that I'll post in a separate thread.

PPS: I noticed that this website desaturates my image a bit. There a bit more gold/yellow and red to her skin...

BEFORE: [IMG=http://lookpic.com/t/126/BXgR8O88.jpeg]

AFTER: [IMG=http://lookpic.com/t/542/v6Fa0Zm9.jpeg]

Original (Before) Photo: Vitaly

Last edited by LightFantastic; 11-10-2009 at 03:05 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 05:25 PM

Re: Critique Please: Beauty Retouch!

Anyone?

Please?

I'd really appreciate your constructive feedback...I'm praying that this doesn't get burried somehow.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 06:21 PM

Thumbs up Re: Critique Please: Beauty Retouch!

I think it looks beautiful. I like the shininess on the skin. Keep up the great work!

DLe
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 09:52 PM

LightFantastic

That look great to me. Have I seen that image before? Is that from a retouch dvd that used to be advertised all over?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 03:09 AM

Thanks guys. I'm hoping some more folks will stop by and let me know what they think. I removed a lot of the redness in the actual retouch, but her natural skintone has a pretty golden/yellow undertone and I wanted to keep that so that her skin looks sun-kissed.

Skeeter09, yes the image came from that retouch dvd. I added a photo credit for good measure... It also has about three more images that it comes with, as well.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 03:42 AM

I'm working on the same pic hehe. Looks great although can you post a bigger version so I can see closer?

Looks nice but I think the head looks squished a little flat.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
I'm working on the same pic hehe. Looks great although can you post a bigger version so I can see closer?

Looks nice but I think the head looks squished a little flat.
^^ ditto bigger

I can tell you 3 things tho

1- You need to D&B with big brushes - blotchy skin and eye bags.

2- Hair line could be better

3- The hair was like that for a reason. In the "biz" the hair stylist would be on your case
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 06:57 AM

1. I feel that her skin is a bit too soft and looks almost plastic, unless this is the look that you wish to portray.
2. The shadows around her arms and breasts are too deep compared to the amount of light just next to it. You added more light, but also added stronger shadows and this does not make sense.
3. The hairline is too hard and looks cut-out from the background.

Overall, I would say nice job and you are on a good way.

Regards,
Jacques
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elboertjie View Post

1. I feel that her skin is a bit too soft and looks almost plastic, unless this is the look that you wish to portray.
2. The shadows around her arms and breasts are too deep compared to the amount of light just next to it. You added more light, but also added stronger shadows and this does not make sense.
3. The hairline is too hard and looks cut-out from the background.

Overall, I would say nice job and you are on a good way.

Regards,
Jacques
Thanks Elboertjie! I think her skin looks strange in those uploaded images because of the image handling by that company (and also by Firefox browsers, in case you're using it). Because on the actual PSD image, her pores are very visible and her skin isn't smoothed or blurred at all (thank goodness).

I didn't change her hairline at all, although someone above suggested doing it...but I was going for a more natural look. I left the stray hairs there, etc...wait, maybe you're talking about the hair AROUND her head (the perimeter), as opposed to her actual hairline? Because her hairline is pretty much untouched and I left those tiny baby hairs, etc. because I prefer a soft, natural look. Let me know and I'll take another look at it.

Your observation regarding the shadows was interesting. I'll take another look at it and rethink it...I am worried that removing these shadows will result in the image looking flat (as it did in the initial picture). Thanks so much for your feedbac, I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-10-2009, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
^^ ditto bigger

I can tell you 3 things tho

1- You need to D&B with big brushes - blotchy skin and eye bags.

2- Hair line could be better

3- The hair was like that for a reason. In the "biz" the hair stylist would be on your case

Thanks Godmother! I'll rethink the hairline; I was going for a natural look, but maybe I can clean up the tiniest hairs there and shape it a bit?

I'll rethink my d&b brush sizes. I kept them between 5 and 20...is that not recommended? I had a really tough time addressing the blotches, particularly those in her left arm. I've seen some retouches of this same image that were monotone (and beautiful...but flat). I'm not going for that look; I wanted something more natural. But I could stand to smoothen that skin, I think, too. I'll look at those under eye areas, too. Thanks again, Godmother!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching