Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Redness and Blotches in Skin

Old 11-09-2009, 12:32 PM
Redness and Blotches in Skin

I'm working on an image in which the model has yellow undertones to her skin (which I find very beautiful) and red "blotches" sprinkled throughout her skin. I would like to somehow reduce the redness (slightly...not completely) without losing skin clarity and without changing her to a completely different color. Thus far, I've used Hue/Saturation adjustment layers and dodging to try and reduce the redness. This worked to some extent but I'd like to know if there are any methods that can target this?

I'm attaching her image below, although the site I uploaded it to does desaturate images, I've noticed...

Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 02:09 PM
Re: Redness and Blotches in Skin

LightFantastic, welcome to RetouchPro. On the before image, add a Selective Color adj layer, select the Red Channel (Default) and move the Magenta slider to the left somewhere between -10 and -20. Paint with a black brush over the lips to restore their color (unless you like the shift).
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-09-2009, 02:33 PM
Re: Redness and Blotches in Skin

i would recommend using a soft light layer at 50% gray. Then painting with a brush, white and black. Using which ever brush you like. Take your flow down to 20% and opacity down to 5-10% approx. Work on the image at 200-400% to get into the real detial, follow the natural lighting of the image. Paint black where it is light/ white, and paint white where it is black/ dark. This gets out the blotchiness every time. It is time consuming, but it works. I have this problem with J.crew models all the time and this is the technique i use. And then if there is still a color problem, sometimes a color fill on hue on the on specific area. Not color, it flattens it too much. Or you could create a mask with selective color. Subtract out from the black slider in every channel -100. Except the red on the black slider +100. You should be left with only your reds, select the pixels in the RGB channel (or CYMK), and now you have a selection of only your reds and then trash the selective color adjustment layer. Then you can make any color move to your reds that you please. Not sure if these techniques will work on your specific image, but they work for me at work. Good luck.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching