RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help with Dodge and Burn techniques

Old 11-12-2009, 02:17 PM

Help with Dodge and Burn techniques

When I'm using Curves adjustment layers to Dodge and Burn skin the dodging worked really well but I'm having some trouble with burning and I suspect there must be a better or different technique needed.

Some skin has highlights that are near white and using a brush to burn them is either in effective or makes them slightly gray since there is no way for it to know you're dealing with skin tones.

So, when the areas want to burn down are near white, how I do burn? I've tried to paint in those ares but sampling a nearby skin tone but it doesn't look natural and appears to love texture.

Is there a trick, technique or tutorial that demonstrates a method for doing this kind of burning?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-12-2009, 02:32 PM

Re: Help with Dodge and Burn techniques

I usually clone the white areas with some darker skin and then D&B the darker skin to get it where I want it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 AM

First of all if you start off with RAW files, you should be able to recover these highlights with the "Recovery" slider in Camera RAW.
Shooting in JPG won't let you have this option, so my approach would be to use a curves adjustment layer just for these blown out highlights, where you lower the whites to a light gray (lower the lightest parts of the image) and add a little red or whatever is needed to it afterwards (this time, make the lightest part lighter).

BTW.: Could you post an example? I guess it's easier to explain with an image to start with :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 09:04 AM

I always shoot RAW and the highlight recovery slider is not the answer. It affects the image and skin tone beyond just bringing down the highlights. Also, why are you assumiming there are blown or clipping highlights? They are brighter areas and when skin is not perfectly smooth you get a highlight and shadow on the pores or raised areas.

Maybe your solution works for some images but I don't like the way it works on the images I'm shooting.

I'll post a sample in a while.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 09:51 AM

This is a sample at 800%. The light and near white pixels will turn gray when burned down and it doesn't look good. They should burn down and deepen in color closer to the neighboring skin tones.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white.jpg (49.7 KB, 98 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 11:53 AM

I'm not sure if I'm interpretting your problem properly, but it sounds like you are trying to deal effectively with hotspots in the skin. I came across a tutorial using channels and calculations to isolate the hot spots into a layer mask, and then using pattern maker (of all things!) to create a good skin texture that you can place on a separate layer. After that, all that is needed is a little blending. I'll see if I can track down the actual link to the tutorial, in the mean time maybe the above info is enough to get you started. Good Luck
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 11:56 AM

I believe the tutorial was created by the people at ETNT. It was part of their retouching workflow DVD.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
I'm not sure if I'm interpretting your problem properly, but it sounds like you are trying to deal effectively with hotspots in the skin. I came across a tutorial using channels and calculations to isolate the hot spots into a layer mask, and then using pattern maker (of all things!) to create a good skin texture that you can place on a separate layer. After that, all that is needed is a little blending. I'll see if I can track down the actual link to the tutorial, in the mean time maybe the above info is enough to get you started. Good Luck
I guess you could say it's hot spots. I just see it as highlights in the contour of skin that need to be toned down a bit. We probably mean the same thing.

What you're suggesting sounds like it makes sense but I don't know how to implement it so if you could find the link to the tutorial I'd really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 01:57 PM
Patron

It may not be the Pro way, but I'm not a Pro sooo,... I use the Patch tool, feather it, move to good skin, reduce to about 50% to 60% or enough to get rid of the shine..

That said, I do not work at the Pixel level so it may be noticeable at those extremes and not applicable.. just my 2 cents
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-13-2009, 02:21 PM

With the sample you provided, I just made a curves adjustment layer and pulled down the midtones. Then I applied the blue channel as a mask and adjusted it to mainly hit the very bright areas. You can then adjust the opacity of the adj layer to taste and put it into a group and apply a layer mask to that group to feather into the surrounding area.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching