RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11  
Old 11-17-2009, 09:16 PM
v111 v111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 76
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

oh the first 2 pics are retouched the 3rd 1 was the original lol
Reply With Quote top
  #12  
Old 11-17-2009, 09:24 PM
v111 v111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 76
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
If you are retouching images with plans to post on the web or in a portfolio, you are better off obtaining shots from a photographer with his/her permission. A disclaimer or written rights to retouch and post would also be nice. You are always safer doing this. In case you get famous one day, you don't want something coming back to haunt you. Generally, these images will be of much higher quality as well, which means your retouch will be of higher quality. Most photographers have tons of unwanted/unusable images. It's just a matter of asking.
OK thanks TommyO, ill have to do that,where do u find photographers are they on this site???
Reply With Quote top
  #13  
Old 11-18-2009, 01:21 AM
0lBaldy's Avatar
0lBaldy 0lBaldy is offline
Senior Member
Patron
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,580
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
ok cool, whats the faq about celebs? am i not allowed to retouch madonna or something????
I guess you have not seen the FAQ button at the top of the page so I will post the referenced FAQ here: What about Copyrights and Likeness Rights?
This isn't a legal guide, just a brief summary about posting here. We aim to follow United States copyright and likeness rights laws, and it's your responsibility to make sure your uploaded images are within those laws. If in doubt, check http://www.copyright.gov.
Copyrighted images cannot be posted without explicit permission from the copyright owner. "Someone put it up on the web" does NOT count as explicit permission.

Public domain images can be posted (this usually means at least 70 years old, or formally released into the public domain by the copyright owner) assuming you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image (or their estate if they have been dead less than 50 years).

Images you own can be posted by you if you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image. Posting your image here does not mean you surrender copyright, but it does mean you give permission for other users to retouch the image and upload here, unless you explicitly state otherwise at the time of uploading.

Images you don't own can be posted if permission is explicitly given by both the owner of the image and any recognizable person in the image.

Celebrity images or random images from Google or anywhere else on the internet cannot be posted unless explicit permission from both the photographer and the subject has been obtained.

Changing a copyrighted image in any way does not remove it from copyright.

Pieces of copyrighted images, no matter how small, retain their copyright and all the same rules apply.

"Fair use" and parody protection are problematic to define, but to be safe lets assume neither apply here.

You are responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions for images you upload, and you are liable should anyone choose to enforce their copyright or likeness rights.
Reply With Quote top
  #14  
Old 11-18-2009, 09:17 AM
v111 v111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 76
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0lBaldy View Post
I guess you have not seen the FAQ button at the top of the page so I will post the referenced FAQ here: What about Copyrights and Likeness Rights?
This isn't a legal guide, just a brief summary about posting here. We aim to follow United States copyright and likeness rights laws, and it's your responsibility to make sure your uploaded images are within those laws. If in doubt, check http://www.copyright.gov.
Copyrighted images cannot be posted without explicit permission from the copyright owner. "Someone put it up on the web" does NOT count as explicit permission.

Public domain images can be posted (this usually means at least 70 years old, or formally released into the public domain by the copyright owner) assuming you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image (or their estate if they have been dead less than 50 years).

Images you own can be posted by you if you have permission of anyone recognizable in the image. Posting your image here does not mean you surrender copyright, but it does mean you give permission for other users to retouch the image and upload here, unless you explicitly state otherwise at the time of uploading.

Images you don't own can be posted if permission is explicitly given by both the owner of the image and any recognizable person in the image.

Celebrity images or random images from Google or anywhere else on the internet cannot be posted unless explicit permission from both the photographer and the subject has been obtained.

Changing a copyrighted image in any way does not remove it from copyright.

Pieces of copyrighted images, no matter how small, retain their copyright and all the same rules apply.

"Fair use" and parody protection are problematic to define, but to be safe lets assume neither apply here.

You are responsible for obtaining any necessary permissions for images you upload, and you are liable should anyone choose to enforce their copyright or likeness rights.
awww sorry shall i remove those pictures then, im new to all this i only started learning in college this year so it all new but thanks 4 what u sent me about the FAQ
Reply With Quote top
  #15  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:23 AM
TommyO's Avatar
TommyO TommyO is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,211
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
Ive retouched a Madonna image what do u guys think of it?
V111,
Unfortunately, the retouches need some more work. It appears you have applied some global corrections (same thing across the entire image), and they have corrupted much of the detail.

Are you taking some graphic arts classes in college, or just learning on your own ? Knowing this will help us direct you.
Reply With Quote top
  #16  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:47 PM
v111 v111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 76
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
V111,
Unfortunately, the retouches need some more work. It appears you have applied some global corrections (same thing across the entire image), and they have corrupted much of the detail.

Are you taking some graphic arts classes in college, or just learning on your own ? Knowing this will help us direct you.
hey i started learning on my own but now im doing night class in graphic design, the classes are very basic im still going to look for a more in depth course to go on,i know i need to start from somewhere but i love doing it so much and im desperate to be a professinal????
Reply With Quote top
  #17  
Old 11-19-2009, 05:56 PM
v111 v111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 76
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyO View Post
V111,
Unfortunately, the retouches need some more work. It appears you have applied some global corrections (same thing across the entire image), and they have corrupted much of the detail.

Are you taking some graphic arts classes in college, or just learning on your own ? Knowing this will help us direct you.
Do u think i should do airbrushing on separate layers like arms chest face etc then chance the opacity to make it blend more natural and change the lighting on different layers for a more natural effect?
Reply With Quote top
  #18  
Old 11-19-2009, 07:53 PM
MariusX MariusX is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Poland
Posts: 26
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

I'd abandon the middle version, highlights on the fur, boots and hair are obliterated in a very drastic way while not even gaining much contrast or snap in the midtones where the most important detail is (skin - looks kinda dead).
Reply With Quote top
  #19  
Old 11-19-2009, 08:41 PM
v111 v111 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: London
Posts: 76
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

but thats how madonna likes it dramatic like a pre lit mannequin thats how we all want to look in the fashion an glam celebrity world lol ....no?
Reply With Quote top
  #20  
Old 11-19-2009, 09:33 PM
TommyO's Avatar
TommyO TommyO is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 1,211
Re: Guys what do u think of this retouch????

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
but thats how madonna likes it dramatic like a pre lit mannequin thats how we all want to look in the fashion an glam celebrity world lol ....no?
Usually, you have to give us some guidance on what your objective is. You also have to tell us why you did certain things to the image. Otherwise, we tend to judge the image based on what we are used to, or what forum you post in. Since this is the retouch forum, we tend to look for very realistic corrections to the images. There are other forums for artistic work. However, as long as you explain, we can sort of follow along.

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
Do u think i should do airbrushing on separate layers like arms chest face etc then chance the opacity to make it blend more natural and change the lighting on different layers for a more natural effect?
Absolutely, work with separate layers. Each should also have masks to allow you to control where you apply the adjustments. This also makes all of your work editable. You can easily go back and fine tune things.

With regard to the "pre-lit mannequin" look, no part of the image should be completely blown out, even for that look. Only the very brightest spot should/could be. It all has to do with how our eyes/brain react to such spots on a picture. Pictures are not like real life. In real life, a reflection of the sun off an object can be really overwhelming to our eyes/brain when the intensity of the light is very high. But, an image is limited to the white of the paper. So, for our brains to interpret that as "very bright", it must be the brightest spot in the image. Otherwise, we simply perceive a lot of white, and think the image retouched poorly.

Anyway, it takes a lot of time and work to fine tune our work and discover what works and what doesn't. It is not enough for someone to tell us. We have to do it. So, keep working at it and you will begin to see year after year that even your perception and taste changes.
Reply With Quote top
Reply

  RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skin retouch skydog Non-RetouchPRO Resources 4 09-21-2010 08:39 PM
How to retouch jewelry pic from bad file? matabaeater Photo Retouching 2 08-19-2009 12:24 PM
Beauty Retouch Nienna Critiques 13 05-07-2009 11:24 AM
My 2nd High-End Retouch Attempt - Please Critique! psdbunny Critiques 11 03-12-2009 11:36 PM
First Post - Glare from Sun retouch needed vidoprof Photo Retouching 8 01-31-2008 07:35 AM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright © 2016 Doug Nelson. All Rights Reserved