RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

fashion touch up what do u think??????

Old 11-18-2009, 08:20 PM

fashion touch up what do u think??????

hey guys what do u think of this touchup go easy on me lol??????????????
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fashion-before.jpg (58.1 KB, 184 views)
File Type: jpg fashion-touchupsmaller.jpg (55.6 KB, 203 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM

Re: fashion touch up what do u think??????

wow u lose so much colour when u make the image smaller and upload it on here? looks so different
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 08:42 AM

the thing what i've realised about retouching is that try and not make it destructive nor should you use the traditional "photoshop tools" to create your affect to the image. You should use adjustment masks on different layers to create the shot on different opacities.

I noticed that your skin on your version of the edit doesn't hold any of the information of the actual image (i.e no pores of skin or texture)

here's my attempt, simple yet effective. i've added contrast without actually changing the tone of the image, also it appears as you would see it.

Let me know if you would like some help.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fashion - before and after.jpg (88.2 KB, 109 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3r10 View Post
the thing what i've realized about retouching is that try and not make it destructive nor should you use the traditional "photoshop tools" to create your affect to the image. You should use adjustment masks on different layers to create the shot on different opacities.

I noticed that your skin on your version of the edit doesn't hold any of the information of the actual image (i.e no pores of skin or texture)

Here's my attempt, simple yet effective. I've added contrast without actually changing the tone of the image, also it appears as you would see it.

Let me know if you would like some help.
what are adjustment masks,and did u airbrush the image,i like Ur version it looks so much more natural,but did u just use lighting on the skin or airbrush it? i would really like help coz i love retouching fashion and would love to be a professional but im still learning and i know it takes time. Does the fashion industry like the more natural look or i guess it depends on what effects they want to achieve,thank u so much for ur help xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM

maybe ill try to reduce the opacities on the airbrush and see what happens???
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 06:00 PM

Do u think i should do airbrushing on separate layers like chest face etc then chance the opacity to make it blend more natural and change the lighting on different layers for a more natural effect?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 06:38 PM

Adjustment masks (its the icon in the layers pallete that is a circle with half black and half white) is a mask ontop of the current layer, you can do pretty much everything. Curves, hue/staturation etc.

I only used curves and channel masks to bring out the shadows and highlights (i.e contrast to the image) once again non-destructive to the image. Also being non-destructive you can just turn the layer off to see the different effect it applies. See its easier to over do something on your effect then change the opactiy so it blends well. I also applied colour correction so it is true to how the image should look. Sharpness was added over the entire image but reducing it in a mask so the eyes didn't look to overpowering.

With regards to the fashion industry, i'm only a student and learnt this technique recently.That full edit only took me 2 minutes to do. In my personal opinion, i think it is a lot nicer to actually see the skin. (see once you blur the image you actually lose the detail and thus the quality of the image isn't sustained). What i've learnt is that you do things in set measurement/increments instead of just moving the slidebar of the effect back and forth as it looks good.

For the different regions of the face/hair/eyes etc. try and use different layers for each adjustment and use opacity to blend. I group these layers. One thing i did with the skin was that i actually smoothed the entire face then used masks to tone down the eyes and other features, and yes your right it looks natural.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 07:34 PM

i really dont understand layermasks an how they work and why u should group things and why layers masks have to be grouped to work? i really dont understand layermasks at all really??????????
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
i really dont understand layermasks an how they work and why u should group things and why layers masks have to be grouped to work? i really dont understand layermasks at all really??????????
its ok ive found out how they work i needed an indepth technical teaching of layermasking and now i so understand it AMAZING!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-19-2009, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v111 View Post
Seeing a lot of your posts of late I'd suggest you get yourself some good photoshop books. Perhaps a subscription to lynda.com too.

It's great that you're hungry for knowledge, but I think you'd do better to cover the basics an orderly and thorough fashion rather than one post at a time.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching