RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Omg

Old 12-05-2009, 11:26 AM

Re: Omg

Only a few weeks left to go!!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 PM

Natalia's DVD is great news ..... For me it's a no brain-errrr I am going to get this ...
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 01:58 PM

I hope the exact release date is posted up on the website by xmas day.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 06:26 PM

I don't think Natalia's retouch techniques will be revolutionary, in fact you can find them all over this forum. I've watched practically all the webinars here on retouchpro and realized that no one has any one real secret. The techniques all seem pretty basic, ie. color correction, dodge and burn, enhancing highlights, clone stamp. These are stuff that we've all learned at retouching 101. The real secret is the application, and that's what separates the real pros from the amateurs. Natalia knows where to go with her image. Her eyes are trained to see things. I hope her DVD elaborates more on what needs to be done with the image rather than what brush settings or buttons to click.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 07:05 PM

I don't think Natalia had ever said anything along the lines of ths DVD showing new revolutionary techniques so not sure where you are getting that from. But as you say it's the way she applies techniques that we probably all know to some extent that we all want to see. Especially as it's a full end to end retouch.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 08:02 PM
Patron

Nicky3, I think it is appropriate that you raised the issue of the science of retouching versus the art of it.
Regarding the science of it, I think there are a great many techniques and processes (the how to do) that are not taught in Retouching 101. Some of them may not be "revolutionary" but may be quite "revelationary" - new ways to do certain things that one did not know of before. Techniques to accomplish tasks more quickly and effectively. Better ways to attack some problems and avoid others. It is very unlikely that you will have been exposed to all of them which are incorporated into Natalia's 10 hr video. The question is: will they be of enough value to make the expense of the DVD worth it? That's up to each of us to do some research beforehand and make a judgement call on the probable value proposition. There have been videos I have purchased which revealed a single jewel that enhanced my workflow so greatly that it alone made the purchase worth it.
As for the art of retouching, yes, that often differentiates the real pros - where to take the image, where to carve the image with light, how to shape and sculpt and transform. Some fundamentals of art can be taught, some learned, and some of it is just an innate talent / gift. The art of retouching is probably the subject of a separate dedictated teaching. I have not seen a detailed table of contents of Natalia's DVD so I am not able to comment on how much is science vs art. I would expect it to be more of the science. However, even if that is the case I believe there will be enough "revelations" to make the purchase more than worth the price.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamedonechanged View Post
... she applies techniques that we probably all know to some extent that we all want to see. Especially as it's a full end to end retouch.
gamedonechanged you post so much positive critiques on Natalia's dvd in this post so it sounds like you have already seen it
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 06:54 AM

I think gamedonechanged is just an optimist. I hope s/he is right. I'm just waiting for someone to post a review.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky3 View Post
I don't think Natalia's retouch techniques will be revolutionary, in fact you can find them all over this forum. I've watched practically all the webinars here on retouchpro and realized that no one has any one real secret. The techniques all seem pretty basic, ie. color correction, dodge and burn, enhancing highlights, clone stamp. These are stuff that we've all learned at retouching 101. The real secret is the application, and that's what separates the real pros from the amateurs. Natalia knows where to go with her image. Her eyes are trained to see things. I hope her DVD elaborates more on what needs to be done with the image rather than what brush settings or buttons to click.
wouldn't agree with you more.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-06-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skauskas View Post
gamedonechanged you post so much positive critiques on Natalia's dvd in this post so it sounds like you have already seen it
Ha ha I wish mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skydog View Post
I think gamedonechanged is just an optimist. I hope s/he is right. I'm just waiting for someone to post a review.
He. :-)

And yeah I know I said I would post a review but as I will be sticking to the postage option the review will probably be later than others who went for the download option.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching