RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Omg

Old 05-30-2010, 01:28 AM

Re: Omg

Natalia, I know I said thank you before, but, I like to take the opportunity and thank you again, this is fantastic dvd. It is dense! and loaded.

Now, that I got your attention, any rumor about a follow up dvd
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-30-2010, 04:44 AM

Unhappy Re: Omg

posted in wrong place

Last edited by doncarlito; 05-30-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-31-2010, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
Natalia, I know I said thank you before, but, I like to take the opportunity and thank you again, this is fantastic dvd. It is dense! and loaded.

Now, that I got your attention, any rumor about a follow up dvd
hmmm.... I really don't know if there is 11 more hours of knowledge in my head tho
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2010, 07:08 PM

finally received the DVD ,which is really GREAT
i've seen half of it,trying to apply the techniques on one of my pictures

only one thing bothers me and i didn't find the answer :

at the end of color and sharpening section,

you create 2 groups of two layers (low and high pass) ,
one for sharpen eyes ,
one for sharpen skin

you sharpen the eyes ,then you put this group on top and you deactivate it to focus on the second group underneath in order to sharpen skin

then the project is over

my question is :

if you reactivate the group sharpen eyes (which you dont illustrate in the dvd)
above the group sharpen skin then we wont be able to see the effect on the group sharpen skin underneath

i couldn't find the answer to this (??) what did i miss in your explanations ?
Reply With Quote top
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Patron

Hippooo, yes, you are correct. There are a few options available to you.
1. Add a layer mask to the Sharpen Eyes Layer Group and Alt+Drag the layer mask on the GB layer of the Sharpen Skin Group below to that mask and click OK to replace the Group layer mask. This is simple if you only have two sharpening layer groups. It becomes messy and overcomplicated if you have 3 or more sharpen layer groups and even more complicated if you go back later to edit one or more of those layer groups and you need to remask all of the layer groups above.
2. Create one sharpen layer group. After that is complete, create a brand new Merge All Layer set above it which will serve as the next sharpen layer group. Because you generated a new Merge All layer you will have incorporated all of the sharpening you made in the layer group below. Here again at the end of your retouch if you decide you need to redo the sharpening on the 1st (lowest in the stack) layer group, you will need to redo everything above it, which is usually one or two more groups.
3. And I think this is the way the technique was meant to be done:
Start as Natalia started by making a merge all layer and copy it several times (for as many different radii that you will need). Create a set of split layers in the manner taught throughout the video. After the split is complete, delete the Gaussian Blur / Low Frequency layer and yes everything will look very sharp. Now add a Hide All Layer mask to the remaining High Pass / High Frequency layer. Paint with a white brush on the mask where you wish to apply the sharpening for the Radius you create. Now proceed to the next copy above, split, delete the GB layer, Hide All Mask, and paint to sharpen. You can just keep going because each sharpening layer will now pass through the layer above. Moreover, you will only use a single layer to sharpen at each radius which will greatly reduce your file size. For 16 bit files this helps the overall size but more importantly slows PS to a much lesser degree.
4. And I feel this is worth honorable mention. In 1,2,3 above, the essence of what you are doing is sharpening by applying the equivalent of a High Pass layer over an image. High Pass sharpening has been around forever, it relatively quick, painless, and effective when applied at the right radius to the right body parts. It should be noted that the sharpening applied by a high pass layer is identical to the Unsharp Mask Filter apllied at the same Radius, with an Amount = 100 and a Threshold = 0. However, the control available in Unsharp Mask Filter is far greaterthan the HP layer which offers very little control. Furthermore the newer Smart Sharpen Filter is far more powerful and offers more control than the USM. And whether one uses USM or SS, you can apply the same principle as in option 3 above. Add a Hide All mask to each USM/SS layer and paint with white wherever you wish to apply sharpening at the specified radius. These masked sharpening layers are stackable, pass-thru, and offer you a non destructive workflow.
Regards, Murray

Last edited by mistermonday; 06-12-2010 at 10:59 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-09-2010, 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Hippooo, yes, you are correct. There are a few options available to you.
1. Add a layer mask to the Sharpen Eyes Layer Group and Alt+Drag the layer mask on the GB layer of the Sharpen Skin Group below to that mask and click OK to replace the Group layer mask. This is simple if you only have two sharpening layer groups. It becomes messy and overcomplicated if you have 3 or more sharpen layer groups and even more complicated if you go back later to edit one or more of those layer groups and you need to remask all of the layer groups above.
2. Create one sharpen layer group. After that is complete, create a brand new Merge All Layer set above it which will serve as the next sharpen layer group. Because you generated a new Merge All layer you will have incorporated all of the sharpening you made in the layer group below. Here again at the end of your retouch if you decide you need to redo the sharpening on the 1st (lowest in the stack) layer group, you will need to redo everything above it, which is usually one or two more groups.
3. And I think this is the way the technique was meant to be done:
Start as Natalia started by making a merge all layer and copy it several times (for as many different radii that you will need). Create a set of split layers in the manner taught throughout the video. After the split is complete, delete the Gaussian Blur / Low Frequency layer and yes everything will look very sharp. Now add a Hide All Layer mask to the remaining High Pass / High Frequency layer. Paint with a white brush on the mask where you wish to apply the sharpening for the Radius you create. Now proceed to the next copy above, split, delete the GB layer, Hide All Mask, and paint to sharpen. You can just keep going because each sharpening layer will now pass through the layer above. Moreover, you will only use a single layer to sharpen at each radius which will greatly reduce your file size. For 16 bit files this helps the overall size but more importantly slows PS to a much lesser degree.
4. And I feel this is worth honorable mention. In 1,2,3 above, the essence of what you are doing is sharpening by applying the equivalent of a High Pass layer over an image. High Pass sharpening has been around forever, it relatively quick, painless, and effective when applied at the right radius to the right body parts. It should be noted that the sharpening applied by a high pass layer is identical to the Unsharp Mask Filter apllied at the same Radius, with an Amount = 100 and a Threshold = 0. However, the control available in Unsharp Mask Filter is far greaterthan the HP layer which offers very little control. Furthermore the newer Smart Sharpen Filter is far more powerful and offers more control than the USM. And whether one uses USM or SS, you can apply the same principle as in option 3 above. Add a Hide All mask to each USM/SS layer and paint with white wherever you wish to apply sharpening at the specified radius. These masked sharpening layers are stackable, pass-thru, and offer you a non destructive workflow.
Regards, Murray
hellO Murray,

thanx for your answer
in fact i've chosen the group layer mask option :
the face sharpen group below
i put the eyes sharpen group on top and created a group layer mask
i inverted this mask and just painted white to reveal the eyes

Regards
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2010, 10:32 AM

Smooodge! The best part of the whole DVD. I learned a great deal from this dvd and can confirm that her techniques are Grade A.

I would like to second a follow up DVD. Natalia, maybe do some of the edge cases that people always ask about here in the retouching forum?
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbolPhoto View Post
Smooodge! The best part of the whole DVD. I learned a great deal from this dvd and can confirm that her techniques are Grade A.

I would like to second a follow up DVD. Natalia, maybe do some of the edge cases that people always ask about here in the retouching forum?
Thank you but no follow up just yet! Too much work

I'm making some free videos tho so what do you mean with "edge cases"?

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbolPhoto View Post
Smooodge!
same thing here, never used the smudge tool to refine the selection before
the part with the healing tool is great as well and color corrections and so on
that's a REAL workflow in real time

would have been nice though to see some works on a less good raw images to see how natalia handles such situations as poor lighted images even if in her field she's probably dealing most of the times with great photographers
Reply With Quote top
Old 07-16-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
Thank you but no follow up just yet! Too much work

I'm making some free videos tho so what do you mean with "edge cases"?

x
What i mean by edge cases is, a gamut of random retouches. Not just your basic skin retouching.

For instance, take a few current threads in the retouching sections right now.

1. Plastic looking skin
2. Dragan effect
3. Random famous people's looks
4. smoke/steam etc..

Now you will say, well i don't really specialize in these things. And that may very well be the case, but your teaching style is very clear. So if you learned these things(if needed) and taught them on your DVD i think they would be best-sellers much like your retouching series.

Just something to think about.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching