RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Omg

Old 12-01-2009, 04:23 PM

Re: Omg

I think people need to stop thinking just because there were issues with the first DVD (which was not at all related to Natalia) that this one will inherit those same issues.

Im sure Natalia herself has in the past come across discussion on that original DVD and taken some of that into consideration when producing this one. Those who purchased the series 1 would have also gotten a questionaire (did I spell that right? ah who cares) asking for feedback on the the first dvd.

The run time of this DVD is a lot longer than the first and she has even said so herself that it is a complete end to end retouch.

Skydog I will let you know how I get on. I'm such a loser I am thinking of taking a day off work to go through it all in 1 day haha. My only gripe is....I want it now!!!!!

:-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 04:39 PM

I don't see anyone pointing direct figures are her for the 1st CD issue.
but you can't blame people for thinking something since its coming form the "same" site.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 PM

That's understandable but I think some people are just coming across a bit rude.

eg: it better be better than the last one....

Not having a pop at anyone in particular but I have noticed that rhetoric on here and on MM. To be honest we are probably lucky that she even agreed to do it in the first place. I'm just venting now.

btw I also bought the series 1 dvd so I understand where you are coming from. But have a little trust peeps....

Im sure we wont be saying the same things this time.

Last edited by gamedonechanged; 12-01-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 06:52 PM

Nothing against GM...just very cautious when it comes to spending my $$ especially in these financial times. In the past two years, I've purchased a number of DVD's, plug-ins and "backgrounds" only realize it was money wasted. When I find something good I definitely want to recommend to the members, but in turn if I find something of poor value I will also comment and clarify that it is my personal opinion. As I've mentioned before, retouching/photography is not inexpensive...the software upgrades, training, cameras, lenses, hardware add up. So I thank all of you who share your experience (pro/con) on any of your purchases.

GM...I wish you the best on your release and hope it is a huge success...to you and to those of us who purchase the product.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 AM

Let me start off by saying that I'm a fan of Natalia's work. And I'm sure I'll be getting one of her DVD sets and keeping it on my reference shelf.

Over the years, we've all wasted a ton of money on things (clothes, college, cars, fondue sets, ergonomic furniture, premium vodkas, food processors, computers, web servers, cameras, lights, flash units, computer courses, workshops, seminars, books, software, etc.) that didn't live up to their promises or were simply a waste of time. So we're all a bit reticent when it comes to parting with our hard earned cash. Me too.

But I always figure if I can learn one important thing from a book or a workshop that it's well worth my time and the related expense. That might make me sound like someone who has lowered the bar enough to be easily pleased. But that's just not the case.

I get a lot of materials that are aimed at professional photographers all the time, and I find myself rolling my eyes in disbelief at what they're trying to sell. And I'm well known for walking out of workshops that failed to live up to their billing -- where even if they had one thing to learn, it wasn't worth wading through the crap to get to it.

I didn't buy the first DVD series from Vitaly. It looked kind of lame. I watched his video online showing his shooting and retouching technique. I wasn't impressed enough with his explanation of what he was doing or with the final images to order the DVD set. Seemed like there was more fluff than substance, and I didn't want to listen to him go on for hours.

And if it were him doing this set, I'm sure I'd feel the same way feel the same way and simply pass.

But before you hold Natalia (one of our own and a known quantity here at RetouchPRO) responsible for the first DVD series he put out, I suggest that you take a look at her sample video online.

It's about 30 minutes long (and it's free -- you don't even have to give an e-mail address or anything to view it, so it's about as risk free as it can be). It only covers Camera Raw conversions (which I assume is the first 30 minutes of her 10 hour presentation). It's not a highlights reel. It's the beginning, and it's not even getting into the good retouching stuff. But I think you'll find it compelling.

I've been doing retouching on live advertising images for over 15 years, but there were at least ten things that she covered in the Camera Raw conversion (let's call those insights) that were news to me -- clarifying subtle but important distinctions between different ways adjusting the image. I don't know if any of those will profoundly change the way I work, but it definitely gave me a deeper understanding of the range of possibilities coming out of Camera Raw. And her presentation of information is clear, thoughtful and engaging. I found myself going back and reviewing several sections to make sure that I hadn't missed anything.

If Natalia holds up over 10 hours to deliver at that pace (and it was interesting in the Camera Raw conversion where Natalia wasn't even dealing with the retouching work -- a half hour on getting the files ready for retouching), that would mean that she would deliver around 100 insights. That would by far exceed my investment-to-insight requirement without going near the bore-me-to-tears factor that most training DVDs have. I have a short attention span for anything that begins to sound like a lecture.

I've seen what Natalia can do with an image, and I know that she's got a completely different approach from me, but I also know that I have much to learn from her.

I also know that when she pours herself into a project that her commitment to quality is absolute. That doesn't mean that she'll deliver perfection every time, but have you seen her work? If you haven't been following her work, you should start. She's going to be a rock star in our quiet little world of retouching.

I'm not telling you that you should buy her DVD set. I'm only suggesting that you watch the sample video online and evaluate it for yourself. If you think that after watching the sample video that that you wouldn't benefit from spending ten hours watching her work on a retouching project from start to finish while explaining what she's doing, then don't buy it.

If you buy it and don't like it, you can always tell her about it in this forum.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 08:24 AM

Worships for Alan! PEOPLE! You will never find happiness through objects! Stop being so fooled by illusions!!!!!!!

Coming back to topic, I have seen almost every DVD tutorial ever made and sincerely, they all are a waste of money. Same with PDF's, before tutorials becoming popular in CD/DVD. All the great stuff found in DVD's tutorials made all along the time, could be put in one single DVD. For example, there are tons of DVD explaining very advanced stuff, but when you get the DVD, more than half is about basic stuff. I'm talking about DVD's made by those guys from lynda.com not about DVD's like the one made by Natalia or Calvin, etc. In fact, I haven't seen any of those, but I would love to know what about those, since they seems to be worth.

What I have seen in the Natalia's demo looks pretty nice and we all know that she does amazing works. I would like to see a bit more than just the Camera RAW, it spends too much time in that for a demo and the product cannot be seen in a manner of convince people who doesn't know Natalia. Or even those who knows her, are not enough convinced by the demo.

The only thing I can complain about what I have seen in the demo is that doesn't shows enough to convince more people that the DVD is good and a bit the speeching, she seems to be tired when talking. Other than that, I think it will be really good. I will wait the opinions of buyers before buy.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 10:11 AM

I have to add to what Seattle-Light said....I just want to mention that you should allow the sample video more than a few minutes run time before deciding to quit watching. I was tempted to quit watching shortly after it started playing but I am VERY glad I gave it more of my time. I felt it was much more than a regurgitation of what you can read on-line about camera raw's settings.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
I'm not telling you that you should buy her DVD set. I'm only suggesting that you watch the sample video online and evaluate it for yourself. If you think that after watching the sample video that that you wouldn't benefit from spending ten hours watching her work on a retouching project from start to finish while explaining what she's doing, then don't buy it.

If you buy it and don't like it, you can always tell her about it in this forum.
You wrote what I was thinking
Thank you for your words.

Quantum... you think I'm tired there coz I was trying to speak slowly and allow ppl to understand me... plus u've actually heard me and talked to me and u know how fast I really talk!

xx
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 01:20 PM

Dear Quantum3...

Hey Mart! I'm in complete agreement with you that there's a whole lot of crap out there, with people pretending to be experts and not getting beyond the basics.

Most of the stuff out there is junk, but that doesn't mean that everything is.

What I think you'll find in Natalia's sample video is some useful information and insight that's presented in a way that's incredibly straightforward and accessible -- and some good practical advice as to when to use what (the difference between exposure and brightness, the difference between saturation and vibrance, the use of split toning, etc.).

You're right to want to see more than the Camera Raw. It's not the most interesting part of the process. But I have a feeling that she'd have to put the whole ten hours up before you'd be willing to say that it would be worth it, that if you had the money to spare that then you would think it was worth it except that since you had then already seen the whole thing why would you pay for it.

But you should be able to tell from the way Natalia's setting things up coming out of Camera Raw that she's going to go into some incredible detail about what she's doing over a ten-hour retouching project.

I'm not saying that everyone should buy her DVD set. I'm just saying that I think that almost anyone who is serious about retouching could learn something useful from it.

Watching a DVD set won't turn anyone a great retoucher (that's not how it works), but it could provide some valuable insights into one retoucher's working methods.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweekley View Post
Congratulations Natalia. I just watched the sample and loved it. When does the presale end? I too would love to see a download option.
Download option available now ... seems he decided it was worth it
x
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching