RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Omg

Old 12-04-2009, 12:28 PM

Re: Omg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post

Everything is done with a mouse.
And that is part, that i can't understand. If one thinks seriously about retouching, having a tablet would be a first step.
I have watched HIGH-END INDUSTRY RETOUCHING TECHNIQUES VIDEO some time ago, and my first impression was - why in the hell is he using a mouse? Sadly all other things from that dvd is now available for free in tutorials available here and there.
Hopefully Natalias one will go further in topic - i mean it will be adressed to more advanced users.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Patron

Cyberek, for someone who learned and spent many years working without a tablet, I can tell you that having a tablet is not the 1st prerequisite to be a serious retoucher. The skills one gains learning how to walk before one can run, often make one all that much better skilled and appreciative after one can afford a tablet. A similar statement can be made regarding work that can be done in PS from its tool set without the need for 3rd party plugins, filters, and actions. The fact that Natalia has prepared a teaching of uncommon techniques and concepts using basic common denominators available to everyone says a lot about her skills, professionalism, and philosophy.
It would be enlightening to understand what your concept of "advanced user" is.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 02:32 PM

Dear Cyberek...

I do have a Wacom tablet on my desk, but the fact is that I rarely use it. There's nothing that's inherently better or more serious about using a tablet for retouching.

The mouse is a better tool for a number of operations. The stylus is better for freehand drawing and for operations where you need to use variable pressure sensitivity, but the mouse is superior for creating Bezier paths for selections and making pixel critical offset selections. For most everything else, it's a bit of a draw.

Then you also need to figure out which tool you can work with comfortably for long periods of time. I find the stylus gives me a cramp in my thumb from gripping it after working for with it for just a few hours and then there is a strain that comes from the micro-finger-movements needed to keep it supported properly and to make selections. But then I can go 14 hours straight with the mouse without any kind of discomfort (okay, maybe a bit of eyestrain, but I wouldn't really blame that on the mouse).

To say that a serious retoucher must use a tablet is to believe that the skill is in the tool. Believe me, it's not. If it helps you as a tool, by all means use it.

It's like saying that a serious writer must type without looking at the keyboard. I has nothing to do with the quality of the work.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
.... I can tell you that having a tablet is not the 1st prerequisite to be a serious retoucher...
may be it's not but after first month of training my hand was falling off. Some people have even constant pain in their hands and wrists from using a mouse and have to contact a doctor. The pain stops only when you stop using a mouse.
So for me it's not about skills or retouch quality. It's just my health which we never should forget about especially with our "sitting in from of the computer all day" work.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
You wrote what I was thinking
Thank you for your words.

Quantum... you think I'm tired there coz I was trying to speak slowly and allow ppl to understand me... plus u've actually heard me and talked to me and u know how fast I really talk!

xx
HAha I know how fast you talk, Natalia, but you breath/suspire many times in the video or you make some effort in order to explain the stuff that can be listened in the way you express your self when talking in the video. Personally, watching a 10 hours DVD talked that way would stress me quite a lot. The voice of the narrator should be pleasent in order to catch the attention of the viewer for more than 2 hours and your voice exhausted me in 20 minutes. I have seen thousand of tutorials, and I guess you too, and for example, Kelby is very fast and dynamic, Decke is really wow when talking. I can see 8 hours straight of his videos. Steve Holmes is also very nice to listen or just remember Dr. Brown, haha but I have listened to others very boring narrators that at the end, even when doing a big effort to finish the tutorial it cannot be finished. It's like you know, when going to some conference nd the guy talks and talks about very interesting topic, but the way it talks about the topic is like boring. You are not boring, but there is a feeling of preocupation when you talk. Seems you want to be perfect in every aspect you say, something that I don't doubt, haha, but I can tell you're a bit nervous, thinking more than you talk. At least at the first part. It's normal, considering that we all feel and want to do lot of perfect things at the beginning and we try to not commit any mistake and the like, you know. I don't know how you would explain things in Spanish, but in English I can hear you're not confortable, like you putting lot of preassure in your speech and yourself, like I said before, It can be heard you're too obsessive with perfeccionism. It happened to me the same when I begun teaching but making a DVD is much more serious and you know that.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:20 PM

Yo Alan!

Of course man, but would be nice to see a bit more. I'm seriously thinking buying the DVD because the Natalia's work is great, not because the 30min demo. But you know, spending that amount of money, for my pocket is too much. I'm actually paying the MacPro, almost finished, it took me around 8 months so imagine...

Mart
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM

Good thing about tablets since I was considering buying one in the future. I don't know if a tablet really makes things easier, as everybody says. I tryed one of a friend of mine, but in his house and his computer with his configuration so I don't know if it would feel confortable to me. And tablets are too expensive to try then trash.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum3 View Post
Good thing about tablets since I was considering buying one in the future. I don't know if a tablet really makes things easier, as everybody says. I tryed one of a friend of mine, but in his house and his computer with his configuration so I don't know if it would feel confortable to me. And tablets are too expensive to try then trash.
I know the feel
before buying one for me was the same.
Is really really handy, but you need a little to familiarize. With a real pen/pencil you have one kind of feeling, the one from this device is a bit strange the first time (at least for me was like that).
For dodge&burn for example is really powerful, you can stroke hundreds of times in a split second with a 1% opacity brush :°D
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 04:44 PM

lol re. the comments on narration... in my opinion if the content is impressive I couldn't care less about the sound or entertainment of the narrator.... got Deke & Kelby for Ps 101 Comedy... great now to have someone of real retouching calibre putting one out....by the way you sounded great!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
(...) But then I can go 14 hours straight with the mouse without any kind of discomfort
Wow!

I say "wow", cos my wrists give up after checking my email with the mouse.

To me the wrist problem was also the reason why i got a tablet. But in terms of retouching i didn't get that "why i didn't buy it before" experience, not yet anyways...
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching