RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Terry Richardson skin texture, tone, color

Old 11-27-2009, 06:03 PM

Terry Richardson skin texture, tone, color

Hi everyone,

I know there has been a few topics regarding Terry Richardson, so I apologize if this topic seems repetitive. But I would like to hear some expert opinion regarding the retouching of Terry’s photos, especially with regards to the skin and skin tones/color.

Most would agree that he is well known for using direct hard lighting. Furthermore, most can see that his style is very raw in nature and that many of his photos look relatively unretouched.

With that said, there still seem to be some retouching of his photos, especially his commissioned work (i.e. Just compare the personal photos on his website to the commissioned shoots featured on his agency’s site).

One noticeable difference seems to be exposure and the skin. His unretouched personal photos looks underexposed relative to his commissioned shoots. However, from personal experience if one increases the exposure of a photo of a person taken with direct hard lighting, then the skin would start to loose texture and look pale white. However, if one looks at Terry’s commissioned work, the skin on his models still show relatively good texture and realistically pleasing skin tones and color. Hence, I would like to hear some opinion from the knowledgeable people on this forum regarding what type of retouching has been utilized.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-27-2009, 07:56 PM

Re: Terry Richardson skin texture, tone, color

would you include a link ..thanks
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 01:09 AM

Thanks for the reply skydog. Sorry I didnt include any specific examples because not only is his style quite consistent (hard direct lighting), the retouching done on his commissioned work also seems (to me at least) to be rather consistent: high exposure with realistically pleasing skin tones and color. Of course Im no expert in retouching, so I look forward to the opinions of those with more knowledge than I.

You can see many of what looks to be unretouched personal work on his website: http://www.terryrichardson.com/

His retouched commissioned work can be seen on his agency's website: http://www.thecollectiveshift.com/sh...lio/Richardson

Feel free to let me know if more examples are necessary. Cheers.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm not a beauty retoucher, but I don't see special techniques being applied. I think he simply provides well exposed raw files with sufficient detail for the retouchers to maintain.

It's probably a bit of a trade-off between him and his retouchers. On one hand he's giving them really contrasty files to work with, which exacerbates skin flaws, on the other hand, his final look needn't be as perfect as some others.

Does look like his retouchers have a fair amount of hot spots to contend with. Might entail developing the raw file do varying degrees of exposure and selectively overlaying them with layer masks. For instance, take the raw and develop it for overall exposure and contrast, then on top of that develop it darker to pull the hot skin in line with the rest. then mask and reveal to blend. Then the usual clone/heal and D&B.

Or something like that...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-28-2009, 10:48 AM

His retouches seems quite regular.

Nothing to get excited about really...
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:15 AM

Thanks for the replies Flashtones and Nienna. I agree with you guys in that the retouching techniques are likely relatively standard and nothing too special. Since I am not nearly as knowledgeable in regards to retouching as some of the members on this forum, I was just interested to hear what those techniques may be.

Flashtones, I agree with you in that due to Terry’s style, his photos and hence retouching doesn’t need to be as “perfect” as some others. But like you said, hard direct contrasty light exacerbates skin flaws, so I’m interested in knowing how the skin of his model’s still retain good texture, tone, and color. I think controlling hotspots seems to be an important part of the retouching, but I don’t think it explains everything.

Maybe a more specific would be better? Does anyone know what are some of the techniques (simple or advanced) used to retouch this photo: http://www.gq.com/images/women/2009/...r-story-06.jpg

Thanks.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 09:16 AM

bluray: the january jones image looks very straight forward. If I was asked to make a file look like that, I'd spot&clean with clone stamp/healing brush, adjust the contrast with luminosity masks, dodge&burn on a gray softlight layer and adjust skin, jacket, lips with separate gradient maps.

that's one way.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluray View Post
One noticeable difference seems to be exposure and the skin. His unretouched personal photos looks underexposed relative to his commissioned shoots. However, from personal experience if one increases the exposure of a photo of a person taken with direct hard lighting, then the skin would start to loose texture and look pale white. However, if one looks at Terry’s commissioned work, the skin on his models still show relatively good texture and realistically pleasing skin tones and color. Hence, I would like to hear some opinion from the knowledgeable people on this forum regarding what type of retouching has been utilized.
Why would you want to INCREASE the exposure IF the image was exposed "correctly"????

just out of curiousity - is it a general technique?
I never increase it, if it's not necessary...

I think the "pleasing" high contrast look (skin/colors) comes also from shooting on film (the right film with the right settings)....

Different films render color differently - and shooting film (like portra 160nc or vc) does give a different look than shooting digitally....

so harsh lighting correctly exposed - shot on film - that's what makes a lot about his images....
retouching-wise I think there are only small corrections - nothing spectacular....
which means that 90% of his Image is "made" in the cam...

photoshop then only make it "pop" in terms of editing - maybe more contrast, etc....
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 02:56 AM

Thanks for the info Macint0sh.

suckerfree, I made the comment regarding the increase in exposure because Terry's commissioned photos looks "brighter" than his personal ones. Of course, that's just my observation and I'm not sure an increase in exposure has been made or if it's something else that is giving the effect.

Anyway, after reading all the comments, I would probably have to agree in that his photos are probably retouched to a minimal, especially relative to the fashion industry.

btw, has anyone seen the photos from the 2010 Pirelli Calendar? I read a lot of claim that there was NO retouching at all. Of course, this could be from a publicist with no knowledge of retouching. So I'm wondering if anyone here seen the photos and can comment? Cheers.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching