RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Hi-End Workflow: When to LIQUIFY ?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:51 AM

Hi-End Workflow: When to LIQUIFY ?

Would really like to get some feedback on when you like to apply your structural changes to an image via liquify etc?
to be more specific I mean at what stage in the retouch you consider it to be most practical to invoke?
for instance, personally I like to do all my cleanup(cloning plus D&B) & then apply liquify changes if required but before the colour & enhancement adjustment layers group... which I feel keeps the file very flexible in the event of any revisions etc
partly why I'm posing this issue is because I'm hearing at times that many retouchers like to liquify right from the start before any cleanup etc ...sometimes because it's part of a more so called "artistic/creative" workflow etc but my problem with this is that structural changes in my opinion made with liquify are potentially more objectionable with the client than most others & so if required to undo/edit some liquify which was made from the beginning means also altering all the following cleanup work etc which isn't ideal..
also with my personal pref. for doing the cleanup first I can in the process study the image in a more gradual way which enables me to carefully plan the liquifying changes that are necessary, as opposed to rushing into it from the start & then possibly having to return to it etc etc
Anyway , I'm pretty happy with my workflow but am also interested in what you lot are doing & the pros & cons you find etc....
Cheers, Mark
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 12:13 PM

Re: Hi-End Workflow: When to LIQUIFY ?

I always do liquifying at the very end after sharpening and everything is done.
Don't know why but I just do. I also make it another copy after liquifying in case I think I have gone to far with it.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 12:29 PM

I liquify/transform at the beginning because it might alter texture and I can work on it. Always make the client approve that along with tones from the first conversion.

x
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 01:30 PM

I prefer to do a merge up at the end of everything, dupe that layer and make a lo-res version of it. Then I do my liquify to that, save the mesh, toss the lo-res version, apply the mesh to the merged up layer. That way I can toss the liquified layer if more retouching needs to be done and apply the mesh to another merged up layer to get the same results.

Chris
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 03:40 PM

Chris I have been wanting to read up more on your technique of the mesh thing.. Thanks for the information. Will try it out.
I am actually using the Free transform with warp more often lately.
Also, I prefer to do it at the end like I said as sometimes liquify just does not look right after looking at it, so I would rather, unlike GoshMother,
Do it after the fact becasue if you do it first then retouch then feel you did it too much there is no going back really and you waste a lot of time.
Much better in my opinion to do it at the end on a merged layer, that way you have a good retouched image and you can liquify all you want with out losing the image, and go back/undo when ever you want.
If you do it first you cannot go back... But there a re a million ways to skin a cat and just as many opinions, you can choose your own I guess.
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket1961 View Post
I prefer to do a merge up at the end of everything, dupe that layer and make a lo-res version of it. Then I do my liquify to that, save the mesh, toss the lo-res version, apply the mesh to the merged up layer. That way I can toss the liquified layer if more retouching needs to be done and apply the mesh to another merged up layer to get the same results.

Chris
Exactly what I do... but I chose to do it at the beginning

I guess I like to visualize the final image that way too ... It's just a personal choice tho, and maybe if some client ever came back and asked me to re do something I'd think twice about doing it like that... but it hasn't ever happened... so far.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 07:41 AM

I also always do the liquifying at the end. This is because the feedback to liquify doesn't usually come in time to do it at the beginning and it's annoying to do it in the middle since all masks and adjustment layers need to be re-adjusted to your new liquified image.

So yeah, at the end!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Chris I lost the thread where you explain the mesh deal... Do you have the link where you explained it? Are you saving a copied file with Low DPI settings but the size settings all the same then saving the mesh?
Thanks for any further explanation or the Link as I remember you talking about this before somewhere. Would be helpful to me and others I am sure.
Thank you
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 08:41 AM

Snook, have a look here: http://www.retouchpro.com/forums/blo...al-repost.html

I had always liquified as the first step but you just convinced me to do it at the end :-)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 12:04 PM

Hey Thanks Jonas.. will check it out and it really makes sense to do it at the end if you ask me.
Cheers
Snook
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching