Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Ok to call people out to explain workflow?

Old 12-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Re: Ok to call people out to explain workflow?

I would add one thing. Speaking for myself, there have been times I've tried my hand at something and shown it without explanation as to how I did it. The reason being that all too often I've seen myself and others go to great trouble to explain everything without hearing thanks, or knowing if the effort was useful or appreciated. So I'd go halfway and try the technique, but spare myself the write-up until I know it was desired.

So if people do want techniques explained the best thing to do is ask in a timely fashion, before the participants leave a thread behind.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 07:04 PM

Often it takes more time to explain how something is done than to do it. And explaining it doesn't mean that the explanation will be well understood or appreciated.

I think that it would be helpful for us all to remember the effort that goes into explaining things well and to voice our appreciation when we stumble across things in these forums and tutorials that are actually helpful.

Also we should understand that when we ask people for deeper explanations of technique or approach or whatever that we are asking them to share their expertise and time -- and that these things have value in the real world.

When people share their time and insight, it's always helpful to at least express our appreciation for their effort. And hopefully return the favor at some point, as each of us has something valuable to add to the discussion.

Hope you are doing well. Take care, Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-13-2009, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Godmother View Post
what's the point of a thread that's is only going to help you and those who liked the same person's B4 and after?
If you look at it that way, then isn't every thread that gets posted "only going to help" those who are interested in its subject? I think every thread that offers insight into how something was done or even simply discussing a topic is valuable to everyone and for posterity.

If there are those who may not be interested in a particular style or particular method or the way a particular image was achieved, that doesn't render threads related to that style, method, or image pointless.

Originally Posted by snook305 View Post
Some forums call them leechers b/c they just leech information and never really provide any help for anybody[...]You also get a lot of people posting "their" version with no information just kind of showing off[...]If it bothers you, try and don't let it b/c it happens all the time.
I always liked the word leechers LOL I never did get that notion for sites of this kind, though, where you have people who know a lot about a subject and people who are coming in to learn because they know nothing about a subject - and therefore have nothing to offer on it.

What can they be but leechers?
Until the student... becomes the master...
*bowing* LOL

Anyway, no worries, I wasn't too bothered by it, I just wanted to offer up an explanation of why I was asking if you could call people out in new threads. I've seen people get their heads bitten off for doing it in other forums so I immediately thought uh oh, I'd better ask first!

And trust, there will be no arguments here. I don't have the patience to argue with people online, so if there is one, it'll be one-sided. I say what I need to say once and I'm done LOL

Here's the deal. I'm not a retoucher. I'm a writer/filmmaker who also happens to be a photographer. I don't allow other people to retouch my work. Photography is sort of a hobby of love for me and I like knowing that the final image is a direct reflection of my creative vision.

Having someone else retouch it, particularly when the editing gets to the point where it's just not the same image anymore, takes away from that for me, so I've always done my own editing and I'm happy with it.

Hell, I even have two separate portfolios for the same reason - one where I was the photographer, hair stylist, fashion stylist, makeup artist, photographer, set designer, and in most cases, even fashion designer for all of the shoots - and the other where I'm just the photographer.

The first portfolio is the portfolio I consider to truly be my work because there isn't one pixel in one image that didn't come straight from me and my talents or skills. The second portfolio I started because I love collaborating with other people, but I don't consider it to be my work. I consider it to be our work.

So if I ever did at some point have someone else edit my images, I'd credit them just like any other member of the team. I'd definitely call them an editor though and not a retoucher. I hate the word retoucher. It's always sounded perverted to me LMAO

Hey... psst... I've got a really big pic. Wanna retouch it? Hehe... sorry.

At any rate, I recently decided I wanted to learn new ways to do what I already do and old ways to do what I don't do, but would still like to know how to do for learning's sake and that's how I came across this site.

Then once I spent time here, I realized I sort of wanted more to contribute to doing afters and working on things with other people than asking questions anyway, like group experiments LOL

So if people aren't available to answer questions or otherwise don't want to, no big deal. I have a life outside of this just like they do. Time is precious for everybody, pro retoucher or otherwise. My concern was more with people who maybe just never noticed that questions were being asked, but would have answered had they known.

Now I just figure eh, if they miss it, they miss it. I'll probably run into an answer somewhere along the way anyway.

Thanks for the responses, all!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching