RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Ok to call people out to explain workflow?

Old 11-30-2009, 09:28 PM

Question Ok to call people out to explain workflow?

First let me just say that I love this site and I think it's a great mix of skill levels, ideas, and experience here. I've been reading through I don't even know how many threads since I joined and one thing has been consistent throughout.

In all of the threads where people are discussing techniques, posting a before and after of the same image (whatever that image may be), whenever there's that ONE person whose "after" actually looks exactly like the work I'm attempting to achieve (or am able to achieve but not consistently) and someone asks them how they did it, they NEVER come back to the thread LOL

It's so frustrating because it's literally only the people whose workflow I really want to know who post that perfect "after" and then just disappear and that's been the case for a little over a dozen of the threads I've read through already and it's a bit discouraging.

Don't get me wrong, all of the information here is valuable and I appreciate all of the other people in the threads for coming in to explain their workflow to those who asked, but for me, the techniques used by someone whose finished product actually looks the way I want my finished product to look holds more weight than advice from someone whose after pics look nothing at all like what I want to accomplish.

So when someone posts that after pic that's spot on (for what I personally want to do) but never explains what they did and never shows up there again - is it ok to post a new thread that has the person's name in the title of the thread (eg; Cyberphonics: What was your workflow with this image?) and includes the image in question to increase the odds of them noticing and hopping in to answer?

I ask because I've been on some forums that state you're not allowed to write threads to a particular person, regardless of the reason and since I'm new here, I didn't know if you guys had the same rule or not.

I also ask because it sometimes happens in threads that are either so old or have so many posts in it already that things seem to get buried or easily missed, so I wanted to just start fresh.
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 09:49 PM
Patron

Re: Ok to call people out to explain workflow?

Some members post a lot and keep going forward, not always having time to go back to earlier threads. Have you tried to just click on their name and send them a Private Message. They will almost always reply to you with the info you seek or an explanation of why they can't share it with you.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Some members post a lot and keep going forward, not always having time to go back to earlier threads. Have you tried to just click on their name and send them a Private Message. They will almost always reply to you with the info you seek or an explanation of why they can't share it with you.
Regards, Murray
+1 PM!

what's the point of a thread that's is only going to help you and those who liked the same person's B4 and after?
Reply With Quote top
Old 11-30-2009, 11:19 PM
Patron

Natalia, I absolutely agree that if members post before solutions that they should be prepared to publically post explanations and reply to questions. However sometimes it takes a PM to catch someones attention.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermonday View Post
Natalia, I absolutely agree that if members post before solutions that they should be prepared to publically post explanations and reply to questions. However sometimes it takes a PM to catch someones attention.
Regards, Murray
I was agreeing with you re read x
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 09:09 AM
Patron

Natalia, yes, I caught it now that my brain and eyes are in sync (smile).
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM

CyberPhonics, that is one of the downsides of forums and just about all of them are the same.
Some forums call them leechers b/c they just leech information and never really provide any help for anybody. Not much you can do.
I have gotten en many arguements with people in these forums for just the same reason and have had a lot of people think I am/was harsh but it is the truth that hurts.
There was some punk name Mtmm in the Dave Hill threads that did just that as well as many others. He even emailed me many times asking for help and I kindly sent him help but the he never helped out, just kept posting his versions.
You also get a loto of people posting "their" version with no information just kind of showing off.
If it bothers you, try and don't let it b/c it happens all the time.
You just kind of have to weed through the forum and pick what information out you can as there are some kind people that truly try and help out.But reality is that there are many leechers as well..

Good luck with you campaign
Snook
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 06:47 PM
Patron

Snook305, thanks for being direct - I think you're spot on.
CyberPhonics, I do not think there is any rule against initiating a derivative thread, particularly if your question got deeply embedded in a lengthy older thread. Just as there are those who post solutions to show but not share, you will find others who have equal of better solutions that they are prepared to share and assist. So just keep persisting and the help will come.
Regards, Murray
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Dear Cyberphonics...

It would be terrific if everyone would carefully follow threads that they've posted to and respond to questions that are posed. But we should remember that some people aren't regularly checking this forum and that sometimes it can be difficult to remember, much less explain in a way that other people can understand what one has done to a file (and that some people are here in their second, third, or fourth language.

And then sadly some people are simply leeches (and of course I mean that in the best possible way -- but than I was a member of this forum for more than six months before I posted anything).

Sending a personal message might get someone's attention -- worth a shot and less antagonistic than starting a new thread, e.g. "Snook305 -- WTF did you do?" (Not to single you out, even though I just did.)

But some people won't notice your question in the original thread (that they've posted to but aren't following or subscribed to), or a new thread (because they're not around when it comes up as a new post) or a personal message (because they've never sent or received a personal message in this forum and wouldn't even know where to look for the notification).

People are hopping in and out of the site according to their own whims and needs, to demand a certain level of attentiveness or responsiveness from each member might be asking too much. Some members could easily have all their time taken over answering questions. Getting a person to explain their workflow on an image isn't as easy as it sounds -- or you get an explanation like "a simple curve adjustment layer and then a lot of dodging an burning."

If you wonder how something was done, ask for an explanation (but try to be specific in what you're asking about). If there's not a response from that person, usually there will be someone else willing to help fill in the missing pieces of the puzzle.

Sometimes those outside explanations will be better than if the original person posting the image had tried to explain their actions. There are a lot of different ways to get to the same goal and a lot of people here with a lot of collective experience and more than a few good ideas.

The reason to be here is for the collective wisdom of the group as opposed to drawing out the techniques of one particular person. We can all live with a few leeches (and we can all be leeches from time to time). I still have New Years cards to write from 2004.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 05:38 PM

Ooh sorry for taking so long to respond, work got so hectic I TOTALLY forgot I even posted it LMAO But thanks so much, I wasn't sure how people felt about private messages on here, so I didn't want to just be a stranger popping up out of nowhere sending people things.

I feel bad because I see it happen to others as well with images they really liked and I know people are busy or may just not visit regularly. I figure from this point on I'll just try to keep track and respond in the threads and maybe check back every once in a while.

I mostly decided to join because I saw people doing before and afters and I thought that was kind of fun because I think the best way to demonstrate a technique that's meant to have a particular visual effect is to show it, so I want to start playing around with people's photos too. Everyone does some really cool things with the photos they're given. I just keep not having a chance to LOL But when the weekends come, I probably will.

Thanks again all!
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching