RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Highend w.i.p what do you think?

Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 AM

Re: Highend w.i.p what do you think?

I agree that you should never adjust body or face shape for model shots. However, celebrities on magazine covers get sculpted all the time, sometimes heavily. So demonstrating facility with the techniques would not be out of place in ones own portfolio.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle-light View Post
Dear rsvrdogg86 (and MauriusX)...

Yes, MauriusX. Of course, you're right. That would be good practice. Sometimes there's not a clearcut right or wrong answer (and sometimes the client has their own idea). One person thinks it's a lovely detail and another thinks it's a distraction.

Try taking those ear hairs out, but keep those ear hair changes on a separate layer so you can evaluate which way you think looks better. Because you want to practice, but you also want to have a piece that you can show (which means you'll want to be able to look at it both ways and compare for yourself).

And it's a good practice to keep different changes on separate layers. That gives you flexibility and choices down the line.

I can't tell you how many times I've spent hours working on "fixing" something only to realize that it looked better before I spent all that time working on it. But often you can't tell that until after you've done the work.

Hope you're doing well. Take care. Alan.
Thanks to everyone for the thoughts. I've got caught up in some other things...a finished version will be up soon. I am definitely taking a more natural approach to the hair and only removing the most distracting ones which have been pointed out already.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-05-2009, 02:18 AM

To me her face looks a little on the flat side because of the flat lighting and very evenly applied makeup. I'd suggest trying to add a little contouring to her face. Try some dodging and burning to bring out some features. Not too much or anything very different, just a little to bring out what is already there.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-08-2009, 09:17 PM

Here it is.....the long awaited (by me) quasi-finished retouch! i'll probably do something a little more funky just for fun but I am kind of sick of it right now haha. I AM SORRY SORRY TO THE PHOTOGRAPHER. They posted on here with free RAW's for people to use, and I can't find the post to credit them. Please share if you know..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg whtcoat_orgA.jpg (93.3 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg whtcoat_finA.jpg (95.1 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg whtcoat_orgB.jpg (93.8 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg whtcoat_finB.jpg (98.6 KB, 45 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 12:15 PM

It looks really good. Great job!
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-09-2009, 01:48 PM

Dear rsvrdogg86...

Terrific work. I really like what you've done here. The hair looks cleaned up, but still quite natural. Only a few of minor things (emphasis on minor) that stand out in my mind.

1) That lone freckle that remains on her cheek. If you're going to eliminate all the other freckles, why would you keep that particular one and darken it?
2) There is a dark area at the corner of the mouth that looks like she has irritated skin.
3) The eyes look a little too electrified to me -- maybe overly whitened or too much of a change in the iris. I would back off by about half
4) There's some splotchiness in the skin on the back of the hand.
5) It seems as if the edge of the chin has become much more sharply and uniformly rounded that in the previous version, looking as if it had been mechanically flattened and then reshaded. I think it looked better (more natural and believable) in the previous version.

The image is from Jasz (Jesper Bendix).

It's extremely important to credit photographers properly (unless they specifically ask you not to use their names in association with their images), and to express thanks for their allowing use of their images, and to offer the retouched image to them if they're interested in having or using it, and to get permission from them to show the image in a before and after format.

You should always know where your images are from, especially if you're thinking that you might use them as examples at some point. Make a regular practice of keeping information about images along with the image files.

Might seem like a bit of a hassle (another piece of information to keep track of), but when you're putting together a new online portfolio it's a real hassle to track down the name of a photographer from a project that you worked on for an advertising agency two years ago after the art director has moved on or the agency has closed.

It's easy enough to keep a text file in your job folder with all the pertinent information from the job -- agency, creative director, art director, photographer, client, contact, etc.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching