RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Highend w.i.p what do you think?

Old 11-30-2009, 10:08 PM

Highend w.i.p what do you think?

...a lot of hours going into this so far..I figured I was at the point of getting a critical eye other than mine. what do you think guys?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg white_before.jpg (93.6 KB, 244 views)
File Type: jpg whitecoat_after.jpg (98.4 KB, 247 views)

Last edited by rsvrdogg86; 11-30-2009 at 10:13 PM.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 01:33 AM

Re: Highend w.i.p what do you think?

well from what I can see you took the subtle approach to this retouch. Nothing to drastic other then taking about 5 pounds off. This is what I noticed

Slimmed her jawline
reshaped her chin and cheek on left side
removed birth marks/moles/brown spots
touched up lipstick
removed hole in her ear
Smoothed out bags/wrinkles under eyes.

Now it depends on what this photo is being used for. If this is a modeling shot for her I'd say NO NO NO. never adjust weight, shape or major features. As this could cost her a job because its misleading.

If this is just for Sh*ts and giggles then fantastic job!
If this were for a magazine or advertisement I'd say fantastic job!

All in all great job, I wouldn't over think it because it looks great. only thing I'd do next time is make sure the crop on the before and after is the same so its less distracting to switch back and forth.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 01:23 PM
Patron

Yep, I have to agree with 204studios, for a modeling portfolio no plastic surgery!

The changes you have made are very subtle and well done,

The only things I would add, if it is for a Glam shot, would be to get rid of the cross hairs in the hair. Fill the holes in the upper eye lashes and maybe give her a hint of lower eyelashes. Sharpen the Irises to give some sparkle. These are just a few minor finishing touches to a great job!

All in all if she and/or the Editor likes the surgery... they should be pleased with how you cleaned the teeth and all the other changes you have made.

BTW I like the face modifications you made!

I am putting up a GIF so others can see a bit better all the work you have done on this.

Give it a couple seconds to change
Attached Images
File Type: gif compare_A.gif (189.3 KB, 83 views)
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 03:04 PM

thanks for the thoughts! Yes, this is definitely just a practice in commercial/high end retouching...not intended as a modeling shot. I will probably do a more stylized version once I'm finished.

Any tips on taking care of the crosshairs? I typically use a clone stamp on lighten/darken, but I have a hard time getting rid of them seamlessly.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 03:38 PM
Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsvrdogg86 View Post
Any tips on taking care of the crosshairs? I typically use a clone stamp on lighten/darken.
Yeppers... me too.. high magnification, soft brush just larger than the hair, sample close to crosshair, clone (darken) on separate layer, paint along hair, (use fade, opacity, or different modes, blur, etc.. as necessary) OR you could Use Dodge and Burn technique
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 06:48 PM

Dear rsvrdogg86...

I think OlBaldy's just pulling your leg with the notion of fixing the crossed hairs using Dodge and Burn. That seems like a fools errand. Could be done, but I think it would be a lot more work than it's worth.

Something to be said for doing things the hard way in terms of learning how far a particular technique can be pushed.

Some people will tell you that they retouch a whole image just dodging and burning. They forget to mention all the healing stamping and selective adjustment layers they use as part of their dodging and burning method.

Meanwhile I think that for the most part her hair looks great in this particular image. It is fine, wispy hair with naturally crossing flows. If you get rid of all those crossing hairs, it just won't look real (that's a whole lot of effort that might just make the image look phony, when getting to phony is easy).

There is no retouching rule that says that all hairs must flow parallel. Rather one should look at the image as a whole and determine what needs to be done for that particular image.

In this image, there are really only a few distracting flyaway hairs, but they're mostly out in the open as opposed to being in the flows of the hair. Don't kill yourself fixing what's already looking terrific. Sometimes restraint is called for.

I would probably tone down the lips a little bit (as they're standing out as being a bit too red and a bit too bright), but I'd mostly leave the hair the way it is.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 07:58 PM

I would only fix the hair that go across the ear. The neck seems to need tiny bit of extra balancing with d&b. I'd also fill the gap in the teeth and emphasize eyes a bit. Great job at reshaping the face.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-02-2009, 10:32 PM

I would leave those hairs going over the ear as they are flowing with the cross flow of the hair. If you take them out over the ear, then you need to take them out before the get to where they are crossing the ear (an endless task) or make it look as if they are tucking behind the ear (which seems like a strange and unnecessary bit of tidiness).

Why would you remove things that don't look out of place and aren't interfering with the overall impression of the image?

It seems to me that there are only a few hairs that are distractingly out of place -- one that's running perpendicular to the flow that's really shining right at the hairline, one on her neck, and a couple out over the rock wall.

She has wispy, fine hair, and that's part of her appeal. Don't try to overcontrol it. Only go after the hairs that are creating distraction from the natural pattern.

One of the keys to retouching is leaving enough real detail in place rather than feeling that you need to make everything "perfect" -- like skin texture these fine hairs help to maintain the illusion of reality when a lot of work has been done.

Hope you are doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 12:37 AM

I guess ur right SL. It's just that the hair over the ear bothered me a bit...personal thing I suppose.

Plus, TS said its a practice, so we may suppose for practice sake, that the client was bothered by this hair to, and asked him to fix it.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-03-2009, 01:44 AM

Dear rsvrdogg86 (and MauriusX)...

Yes, MauriusX. Of course, you're right. That would be good practice. Sometimes there's not a clearcut right or wrong answer (and sometimes the client has their own idea). One person thinks it's a lovely detail and another thinks it's a distraction.

Try taking those ear hairs out, but keep those ear hair changes on a separate layer so you can evaluate which way you think looks better. Because you want to practice, but you also want to have a piece that you can show (which means you'll want to be able to look at it both ways and compare for yourself).

And it's a good practice to keep different changes on separate layers. That gives you flexibility and choices down the line.

I can't tell you how many times I've spent hours working on "fixing" something only to realize that it looked better before I spent all that time working on it. But often you can't tell that until after you've done the work.

Hope you're doing well. Take care. Alan.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching