Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Help me decide what method is better

Old 12-01-2009, 12:17 AM
Help me decide what method is better

hello and thanks for clicking... I have two methods for skin smoothing that I've been messing with. One is a dramatic effect that uses 2 duplicated layers. one layer gets a heavy dust and scratch filter then a noise filter. the top most layer gets a black mask and you paint over the skin with a soft brush set between 30 and 100% opacity.

The second technique is the one I've been using for about 6 months and its a little more in depth and keeps more skin texture.

I duplicate the background layer 3 times

First layer from bottom gets a median filter set to 30
second layer gets a highpass layer set to 5 then the blending mode is set to overlay
third layer gets a white mask in which you paint black to soften the skin with a brush set anywhere from 30 to 100%

The following set has the original followed by the two techniques accompanied by close ups of each.

What I want from all you is the following.

Your opinion on what technique you feel looks better. I'm just trying to gather opinions. I'm a big fan of keeping texture in the skin but figured I try the new method.

Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 01:57 AM
re: Help me decide what method is better

I like both techniques but would prefer the old one Keeping tecture is more natural and I am a bit fed up with the "barby" look It seems unreal to me but that of course that is personal. It also depends on the target, publicity etc.For me : the old technique
Good luck Daki
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 AM
re: Help me decide what method is better

Im with Daki
I know both Techniks from Books of Katrin Eisman und Scot Kelby, and don´t like them, but have to use them often, because i often don`t have the time fot the "old Technique"
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching