RetouchPRO

Go Back   RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching
Register Blogs FAQ Site Nav Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Photo Retouching "Improving" photos, post-production, correction, etc.

Burn and Dodge VS Reular Brush

Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 AM

Burn and Dodge VS Reular Brush

Hi all,

recently im got deeper in the photoshop retouching area, i been looking on some high end retoucher videos and i saw them all using quite same techniques, but one thing is really different, there are some retouchers using the dodge and burn tool to shape and contour the model while others are using the regular brush with soft light blending mode.

in some images burning and dodging tools working good in others they are destructive. i don't know the exact reason

my question is , what is the thing that make the burn tool the behave differently in some images, and i should use burning and dodging and when to use regular brush in a sense of shaping and contouring a model.

Thanks
S
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 08:50 AM

Re: Burn and Dodge VS Reular Brush

TO change a color in photoshop you can:

Use Curves, Selective Color, Levels, Painting, Solid COlor, Gradient, Gradient Map, Color Balance, Photo Filter, Fill, Channels, LAB, and probably a lot more ways.

My point is this: Everyone has their way of doing things.

I personally would say, Dodge+Burn tools are destructive editing (not on a seperate layer) so I would not use it, but if someone like working like that and they get good results, I'm not judging.
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Patron

If they are using the dodge and burn tools they are probably using CS4 for reasons as explained in this video.. Learn Photoshop CS4 - Making color corrections
Reply With Quote top
Old 12-04-2009, 03:04 PM

Dodging and burning can be made on a separate layer with natural gray and overlay blending mode.

my question is more like "why dodging and burning behave differently on different images...what the reason for this?"sometimes its add saturation and sometimes it add redness...while in other times its black and white

Thanks
S
Reply With Quote top
Old 05-17-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samifox View Post
Dodging and burning can be made on a separate layer with natural gray and overlay blending mode.

my question is more like "why dodging and burning behave differently on different images...what the reason for this?"sometimes its add saturation and sometimes it add redness...while in other times its black and white

Thanks
S
Hi: I'm a newbie here, and on the D&B technique. If I understand your question, i hope this can be of help. (a little late thou... maybe you already know this). On the D&B technique you use a brush with curves over a mask, "not" the dodge and burn tools, because it is a destructive way of working. And yes, the D&B tools act different on different images.
Reply With Quote top

RetouchPRO > Technique > Photo Retouching